Negotiating with Chinese sellers on Alibaba

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by spludgey, 8th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm starting a side gig, buying goods on Alibaba and reselling on Amazon, Ebay and possibly Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace.

There are a few suppliers with goods that are very similar. I know one of them to be fairly good, as my father has bought the same products off them a few years ago. However I've found another vendor that sells the equivalent item for significantly less ($24.80 vs $35).
    Is it okay in Chinese culture for me to now go to Vendor A and say "Vendor B gave me a price of $24.80, can you do better?"

Sorry for being vague, but it's a very niche item, and there aren't too many sellers out there currently.

Also any other general tips on importing would be appreciated.

2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Why not buy it off Vendor B, and just tell Vendor A, as a courtesy, that they didn't get the deal because they were too expensive, so maybe next time they can sharpen their pencil a bit better?

3. spludgey

Because I know the quality of Vendor A.

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

In some cultures its custom to haggle.

CRT and Anthony416 like this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Right. And so have you sampled the quality of Vendor B?

Because, depending on your answer, a lot of time could be saved here... in both Yes and No cases...

6. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

I live here and speak rubbish Chinese. Absolutely bargain. It's part of the culture. Just be polite. Westerners are very aggressive compared to here but don't think they are! Just be polite and inquisitive and ask about competitors' products and compare what you know. All ok. Manners take you everywhere in the globe.

lixas4 likes this.
  7. BunnyXiao

The Best Way to Shop in China | baopals.com I don't know if you guys can see that there. In China we use Taobao. For dumb foreigners like me who speak but can't read Chinese this is a smart middle man company that put a 'skin' on Taobao for foreigners to use here. Charge a tiny mark up but it will make you cry what we pay for things here compared to you guys.

8. random

random Well-Known Member

But how much are they paying there compared to their av wage , that's all it ever boils down to. A lot of countries things are so cheap but the people are poor so they aren't cheap to them.
    Mind you , l don't think a lot of Aussies realize either just how much we're ripped off here either.Yet shops and business go bust all the time because that expense runs right down the line and often even at our prices they still go broke.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. BunnyXiao

Come live here and you will see how things are ;-) easiest quickest way to see the truth with your own eyes.
    But I hope this information helps the OP

Anthony416 likes this.
  10. spludgey

Thanks all.
    Got vendor A to match vendor B's price!

qak, Ted Varrick, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  11. BunnyXiao

Some other tips. China is a relationship culture. Guanxi. So they don't want to churn and burn. They mix up family and business. So if you develop good supplier links you will become part of the inner circle. Come to China and a business trip and you will see. The market is incredibly competitive here and the customer is KING. They live and die on Taobao reviews. Another thing is audit your supply chain. Legendary are the stories of excellent samples sent then at full-blown production to drop ship it's not the same. The top of the box the good stuff the layers below junk.

Cousinit and Anthony416 like this.
  12. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

I'm an Amazon.com seller and have a bit of experience importing from China to US. Only have one product though as it takes me a fair bit to stay in stock. Awesome opportunity for business IF you have what it takes. There are folks out there doing quite ok!

13. Cousinit

India is a bit the same. Looking at getting samples for new products shortly but using a sourcing agent.

14. BunnyXiao

Hmm sourcing agent. Maybe a racket I should get into here rather than Daigou

15. Cousinit

Amanda Jane Clarkson sells an importing course. I paid about $1000 for the course and I think it's pretty good value as she gives access to some important documents. It was affiliated with Reliable Education who sell an Amazon course. I hope that is some help.

16. Cousinit

Ha ha, I was at the Delhi trade fair in October last year on an organised trip. Certainly pros and cons of using an agent. Lots of potential rip offs for sure but as in business generally it's all about the relationship.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@BunnyXiao as someone living in China, but not being Chinese, do you find it difficult to haggle? We had a few days in Hong Kong a couple of years back, and I really didn't enjoy the haggling, trying to work out the money, especially with the language issues thrown into the mix. We avoided markets for that reason, but also because we were more interested in history than shopping.

PS. I'm enjoying your life story as it slowly unfolds within different threads. :)

18. BunnyXiao

Ha thanks. I like learning from everyone here and getting to know you all. No I've never done it on a day to day level. I go to the supermarket and department stores like everyone else. I think that's a tourist China I don't know. I just live a regular normal boring middle class life here and go to Starbucks and the big shops like everyone else. But I do know the olides and the Ayis they love that stuff. its sort of old China I think.

19. BunnyXiao

I forgot to tell you the obvious. We buy online. We are soooooo lazy in China because that is the life and its free. Cooking and you need a stick of lemongrass? No problems, in 15 minutes its at your door by online app and waimai delivery guy. I buy everything online, clothes, shoes, cosmetics, groceries. Its the life here. Food delivery, coffee delivery. Whatever you want. Need pharmacy stuff instant delivery even a pack of headache tabs

Reddy, oracle, qak and 1 other person like this.
  20. qak

qak Well-Known Member

DO you have to tip there?