Negotiating renovation labour costs

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Zenith Chaos, 11th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Looking to fully renovate two bathrooms in Sydney PPOR. Quotes for labour only have ranged from around $32k to $43k.

I understand these fixed price quotes would include contingency.

I am inexperienced in renovations so I am seeking expertise in ensuring my constraints are met:
    • Final result is high quality without defect - what kind of warranties, certificates should I need?
    • Labour costs are minimised - how to negotiate to a fair price without putting off vendor
    Thanks in advance.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

• The builder must be appropriately licensed for bathrooms/kitchens or as a builder (use licence check on Fair Trading website)
    • Contract for the works (do not break the job into two just to save paying insurance especially If the builder suggests it, run)
    • Request their insurances (public liability, workers compensation/income protection, contract works)
    • Home Warranty insurance
    • Plumbing/Electrical certificates
    • Waterproofing certificate
    How to minimise costs - stick to agreed plans, get 3 quotes, get a construction programme/schedule.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only low cost way is subcontractt the work out and manage the projects yourself ..just looking at the hourly rate on labour ,how big are these bathrooms and what do you intend to renovate.

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  4. Zenith Chaos

~3.5sqm; ~8sqm. Complete renovation.

5. Zenith Chaos

Hi All, bump for any proven reliable trades in Sydney.

6. Petaurus

Petaurus Member

We are currently renewing our two bathrooms on the Central Coast and decided to manage trades ourselves/ learn how to do certain tasks ourselves. To me those labour costs seem high. For example tiling quotes for the ensuite (4.5m2) for full wall tiling ranged from $2000-3500, waterproofing around $1000-1200 and plumbing quotes were around $1500 and all up the cost of labour for the ensuite was about $6000. Demo we did ourselves as well as resheeting the walls, recessing the shaving cabinet etc. The main issue of managing the trades yourself is it takes much longer, factor in up to a month for a bathroom.