Negotiating price after loan approval

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Nate7invest, 27th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Hi was just seeing of anyone has gone through the same situation as I'm in at the moment. Made some last minute negotiations on price after building and pest but my loan has been approved for the pre-negotiation price not the newly negotiated price (negotiated on xmas eve, convayencer left the office before could speak to them with updated price and isn't back till after new years). My finance due date is on the 31st of Dec but my conveyancer won't be back in office till the 2nd of Jan with settlement due on the 9th of Jan. Was wondering if it would be too late to adjust the approved loan amount and how leanient the process could be over xmas/new years break with pushing settlement back as I have no way of going forward until after the new years break.

Cheers

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How much you talking? If small loan left as is and adjusted at settlement

3. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Hi Terry

Only a reduction of 2.5k, when you say adjusted at settlement do you mean the vendor would just directly pay me the 2.5k difference?

4. Terry_w

Yes

5. Terry_w

But check with your broker

Nate7invest likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The bank will want the revised contract, but your solicitor will sort out the money at settlement. Keep the loan the same unless it impacts the LVR. You dont want the bank taking any longer to finalise their processes. That $2.5k will cover your solicitor's fees, council rates or other disbursements.

7. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Thanks for the reply Angel, sounds like keeping the loan as is and adjusting at settlement is the way to go

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not really the way I'd do it because a change in purchase price will affect the LVR, possibly LMI and the loan would need to be re-approved and re-documented. That's unlikely to be a big deal, but it takes time to sort out. The risk is minimal, but there is still risk in this.

The way I've seen this frequently sorted is it's more a cash-back or similar from the vendor to cover your costs of fixing any problems. That way the purchase price, loan and LVR remains the same. It's usually fairly straight forward for your conveyancer to sort this out as a settlement adjustment.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

O yeah. What Peter said. So do you mean it's more of a "gentlemen's agreement" about the $2.5K?

10. Terry_w

a binding contract.

11. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Negotiated the 2.5k reduction after building and pest. Took longer than expected to get a final negotiated price (vendor was going through personal issues and over xmas period) hence the loan was approved for the original amount before I could submit the new price

12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This isn't really a gentlemen's agreement but you're also not changing the purchase price. You're simply both agreeing that the vendor will compensate the purchaser $2.5k to cover the cost of repairs that should have been done prior to settlement.

The purchase price and the value of the property aren't changing as a result of this, so there's no need to change the loan, stamp duty or any of these figures.

The vendor never hands over $2.5k, this is simply a settlement adjustment. Effectively the purchaser hands over $2.5k less at settlement and the vendor receives $2.5k less from the transaction.

I can't say exactly how it happens from a contractual perspective, I'm not even sure it's applied the same in all states. This is part of the conveyancing process (I manage the finance process, I'm not a conveyancer). I've seen this done many times in Victoria.

Nate7invest likes this.
  13. Terry_w

It is essentially a variation of the contract.

14. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

So how is it not a change to the price? Just curious.

15. Terry_w

It is

ChrisP73 likes this.
  16. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Pete's on the money.

You really don't want to mess around with getting reapproval at this time of the year.

Cheers

Jamie

Nate7invest likes this.

PFA Property Expo is designed in a way that visitors can gather maximum real estate knowledge with added benefits. Different speakers will be presenting on different topics as where to buy, when to buy in this market...