Negative gearing changes

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by NWH, 23rd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

To make things even more confusing...

You will be able to negatively gear new investment in established homes if you have investment income you can offset it against.

Hooray for Labor's two tier investor plan :rolleyes:

2. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

How do you define a "benefit"? I see a benefit as something perhaps unearned, such as first home buyer's grant, or baby bonus or something like that.

A tax refund when you have previously over paid tax, is not a benefit.

But I would like to get your sense of what a benefit is so we can get on the same page.

Cheers,
    John

HUGH72, Francesco and kierank like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Like Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B ;).

Perthguy and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Tax free threshold ;)

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

So if labour wins,
    demand wise a dead cat bounce from new investors rushing to lock in before jan 1st and then ... long term bear trend from investors side in existing dwelling market?

keeping in mind, the long term implication, of investors absence in existing dwelling market due to CGT and NG changes, atleast price wise,
    will existing Investors offload some of their holdings in this potential surge in demand before jan 1st?

7. JimBass

JimBass Well-Known Member

I'm sure this question has been answered but in regards to the changes being brought in Jan 1st is it only grandfathered for existing investment properties or all properties currently owned in general. We plan on converting our current PPOR into an IP, would we need to do this before Jan 1st if we wanted to negative gear or would our property be covered by the grandfathering clause?

Zoolander likes this.
  8. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

This is something interested in too but I honestly wouldn't expect exemptions as ppor will not be advertised as available for rental (intent) and it's not obviously being rented out and thus no grandfathering. Will be interesting to see legislation.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

We are all guilty of selective delusion I guess ,I know I do...But it just depends on what media ducks are quacking away at other media ducks ,and as I read very few newspapers I would not know..
    But as I have been through several recessions in my investing life ,all the signs are out there to see for anyone
    as every shopping outlet I go too most are one quarter vacant unleased ,could be just online shopping could also be all those they went into business blind ,did not understand between how they qualify personal expenses
    and legitimate business expenses ..
    With Labor,every business owner I talk too,as most have been through several recession's think Bill the man for the people has 2 chances of opening the Lodges wine cellars ,#### all and none..

10. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

True, just had a read of Positive plan to help housing affordability and near the end of the page:

"From a yet-to-be-determined date after the next election losses from new investments in shares and existing properties can still be used to offset investment income tax liabilities. These losses can also continue to be carried forward to offset the final capital gain on the investment."

So as i interpret that- if you had a share portfolio with 10k of dividends/yr , you could then pay nil tax on that 10k if you had a 10k loss on an existing property that year?

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Guest and Perthguy like this.
  11. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

My assumption (and only assumption) is that it will be simply based on contract date of a given purchase.

- Andrew

12. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

The PPOR->IP conversion hasnt been covered at all. The articles only say if you own investment properties or are negatively geared you can continue so. And a PPOR doesnt cleanly fit the former and definitely not the latter. Good bit of business for property managers if theres a surge in Owner occupiers switching their homes before January just to grandfather benefits. Kick out the tenant in Feb and bask in the glow of gaming the system. Downside is diluting 100% CGT tho

AlbertWT and kierank like this.
  13. AlbertWT

AlbertWT Well-Known Member

This is what the labor government expected to bring down back the property price to a reasonable price so the majority of the people can afford to get into the property market.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It will never happen. People who don't own homes is mainly due to their own excuses and lack of any discipline. There are currently many affordable markets in WA, NT, SA, QLD. And yet no massive jump in home ownership from renters.

AlbertWT and Lions4Eva like this.
  15. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Are you looking at price only ?

Or worthwhile to look at cost of holding.

So when interest rates are 10% and property price is $400k

Vs

Interest rates at 4% and houses prices at $800k

AlbertWT likes this.
  16. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

How about all those people that bought at $400k at 10% and watched interest rates come down to 4%.
    How would all those that bought at $800k at 4% deal with interest rates that rise back up to 10%
    Fact is the probably wouldn't be able to hold, because they paid to much .
    Even if rates only went up to 7.5%, many investors and owner occupiers would collapse.
    Yet just over 11 years ago many were paying 9% .
    Its a slow race to the bottom , and every time we hope that rates dont go up, until we scrape the barrel and we can no longer drop rates -then what?,

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

18. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

19. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

In a world with low inflation everywhere, how IR can go back to 7.5% without massive wage growth (which indeed will push inflation higher).

AlbertWT likes this.
  20. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

falling prices triggering rating downgrades, increasing risk premium,
    heavy reliance on foreign capital and rising global yield?

besides 7.5% is more normal MR, 4% is an outlier.
    the real problem is the size of mortgage debt is now so high(frothy segment) that even a long term normal MR is looking increasingly difficult to sustain,
    welcome to the other side of leveraged trade.

when debt as high as we have, bit of inflation is good,
    high debt with low inflation is absolutely disastrous..

AlbertWT likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.