Need to tweak floorplan in the next 48 hours - help please!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 26th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

One of my properties has become vacant and given the long but distinguished list of 3 bedders on offer in the area (and dearth of 4's), am strongly considering converting my 3 bed house into a 4 bedder. Budget is low < $5K, but commensurate with the area so don't want to overcapitalise.

Would greatly appreciate recommendations on where you'd stick the 4 bed and whether you think an extra toilet/bathroom is necessary. But with a budget of $5K, 2nd bathroom will cost a lot more than that. Utopia would be a 4x2 with an ensuite of course.

The rumpus would be the logical choice to convert a 4 bedder but very exy to relocate a bathroom there plus the door to i would open up straight into the living room?

@wylie @Westminster @Mel Morgan hope you don't mind me tagging you as I know how clued up you are on these sorts of things (if you have time of course).

floorplan2.jpg

Last edited: 26th May, 2020
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

First thought is close the porch and make it a bedroom with entry from the rumpus, but it depends on what the facade looks like.

If that could work, you could put a dividing wall so you enter into a hallway, or even open the dining to the rumpus but add a small entryway at the front near the porch end.

Could you put a stacked washer and dryer in the cupboard(?) opposite the laundry and turn the current laundry into a bathroom?

Or, open up a door into the garage from rumpus and put washing machine and dryer where one of those cupboards is?

Last edited: 26th May, 2020
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Tx Wylie! All valid ideas but re: porch no I don't think I can enclose it...just too much mucking around aside from the legality issues. Re: converting laundry and stacking in cabinet, yeah may be possible but arrgh rear bedroom is too small for a master. But I like the idea of using the cabinet for the laundry. Just have to measure depth. P1010108.JPG

4. wylie

I guess you can’t convert garage to bedroom (even if you can’t call it a bedroom) and add a carport in front - not enough flat area?

Could garage become rumpus and runpus becomes entry with small bedroom behind?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm going to guess that plan isn't the most accurate

I probably would use the rumpus but create a hall way either at the front or rear of it and block off what appears to be a door in the middle? lacrim1.jpg

vbplease and Redwing like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That seems to be the best bang for buck for $5k. I could rejig the whole house but no point if there is only a $5k budget. It also means that if they don't want a 4th bedroom that it's still large enough to be used as an additional living area

wylie and Archaon like this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Carport would be pretty expensive Wylie and personal view is deleting a garage in the kind of suburb the property is in wouldn't be a wise idea. In a diff suburb, might be a goer.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK didn't think of that. That is possible. Will cost a bit more to do but in the interest of saving $ do you think opening into the living is a big no no?

9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

From the photo it looks as though the house is likely on stumps. Why is it so expensive to bring water and sewerage to the rumpus room? Is the gradient to the sewer not steep enough? Otherwise it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You
    You can't see via photos but the rumpus is on a slab...the rest of the house MAY be on stumps. Have to check.

spludgey likes this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Given there's no access via the rumpus to the garage, could you not just advertise as a 4 bedder and call the rumpus a 4th bedroom to give people the option? I don't think the door opening to the living room is such an issue.

I'm thinking the demographic might want a laundry room (instead of in a cupboard), what about down the track putting an ensuite where the living room alcove is against bed one? Square off the living room and relocate the wardrobe?

Joynz and vbplease like this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Didn't think of that alcove tx Mel, great idea. OK I might just enclose the rumpus then...you cant tell from floorplan but that rumpus isnt actually closed off completely..so I will have to erect a wall there. Am guessing circa $1.5K for that?

13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put the laundry into a cupboard.. A laundry (as per the building code) is a wet area and should be waterproofed accordingly. In the event of a leak, your insurance claim may not go too well.

I would go with the Rumpus as the 4th Bedroom, but I wouldn't go to too much effort in converting it.. having the flexibility of a Rumpus or Bedroom would be event better..

wylie likes this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Makes sense....how would I have 'flexibility' for either...sliding frosted doors?

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Finally got a photo...this is what I'm working with in the rumpus...stairs involved as well which makes things trickier. The rumpus is about 3 stair treads lower than the living room if you cant see.

. rumpus.jpg

16. vbplease

I really like sliding/stacking doors which hide in a cavity.. but would require re-framing the wall, failing that, barn doors, or event cheaper, a curtain :D

[​IMG]

Archaon likes this.
  17. vbplease

the steps throw a spanner in the works.. you can't really put a wall at the top or bottom of the steps..

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

deflated.gif

Archaon likes this.
  19. wylie

How much do three bedroom places rent for in the area?

How much do four bedroom places rent for? Do most four bedroom places have that good sized second living area (separate from the main living area), and an ensuite or second bathroom?

Perhaps it is better to make it more attractive as a three bedroom place than spending maybe $5k and not really getting one or the other?

We made that mistake once, and people looking for four bedroom places still didn't want outs due to no second bathroom and no second living area.

Antoni0 and Danyool like this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Fair point Wylie. 3 beds rent for $380-420pw with 1 bathroom. 4 beds from $450pw typically. Higer rents from late 4s for fresh/nice props with 2 bathrooms. The starting range is for 4x1. Its a lower socio area in Sydney but not the pits. House is already decent looking as is and ready to rent.

It's just a question of whether 4x1 (seeing I'm reluctant to spend on 4x2 now) will yield $30-40 pw more by virtue of a wall being put up. I THINK it will but sure, no bathroom an smaller living will put some families off. That being said, I find less affluent suburbs are more laissez faire about these sorts of things.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice