Need to renovate laundry

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 9th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. menty

menty Well-Known Member

I need to renovate the laundry which means the tenant is unable to use their washing machine. I need to run new drainage and plumbing externally as the internal pipes have cracked (old teracotta) . Was advised to do a whole reno of the laundry would be more cost effective than lifting foundations to repair the crack.

Is there another temporary solution I can offer to my tenants for a short time ?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would approach the tenant if they'd like a new laundry, could they manage for a week (?) if you can arrange for the plumber to hook up the washing machine temporarily on a deck, under the house or in a bathroom or kitchen.

That way the tenant is choosing to accept the inconvenience for a week knowing they will have a new laundry.

You could also offer a rent reduction to cover them using a laundromat, or take their laundry to someone else's house (their parents?).

I would feel I had to offer some compensation or just do the simple, quick repair and save the bigger job for when they leave.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Approach the tenant with the idea of a new laundry and details of a local laundry service. My Butler Service do (Sydney) suburban pickup and wash / fold and even can iron.

4. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

It would depend on the timeframe and tenant's needs.

In exchange for a new laundry and sufficient notice the tenant might be happy to hold off on their washing for a week, if its longer then they would need to find an alternative so a rent reduction would be fair.

It also depends if its a family with lots of washing or a single person etc, so best to communicate with the tenant.

wylie likes this.