VIC Need suggestions: Within $500k, 3-4 Bed House, Good Govt. Primary School zone

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AusMover, 25th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AusMover

AusMover Well-Known Member

Hi friends,

For Melbourne region, please throw in your suggestions for the following criteria:

1. Upto $500k max.
    2. A 3 or 4 Bedroom House.
    3. Within zone of a good & known Govt. Primary School (This is a must).
    4. Nearby Train station an added plus.

This is a PPR, as currently renting and want to move to own home. Might sell it 10 years down the line, but as of now need it as own home.

I know none of the inner suburbs or "near-outer" suburbs of CBD fit my $500k budget constraint. :rolleyes: . So, happy to hear about the distant suburbs, but lesser the travel, I guess the better. :)

All areas around Melbourne region (West, East, North, South) currently open for consideration.

Thanks. ;)

2. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hi,

Have you looked at areas such as East Keilor, Avondale Heights or Maidstone?

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Frankston

4. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Doreen ... But have to travel to train

5. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Boronia, Bayswater, Ferntree Gully would be on my list. May be hard pressed to find a 3-4 bed house for under $500k in those areas at the moment unless your prepared to add some TLC

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2015
  6. infocus13

infocus13 Member

Maidstone is a good option if you're willing to stretch to around $600k.

You can get a duplex 3/1/1 townhouse in a nicer part of the suburb for that money. Areas south of Ballarat Road (bordering with West Footscray) and streets just off Rosamond Road (between Ballarat Road and Highpoint) are generally good - close to transport (buses and trams), schools, shopping.

There's a lot of new development in the far part of Maidstone (around Vic Uni student village, detention centre, Hampstead Road). I'd stay away from there.

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2015
    Kai41314 likes this.
  7. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Frankston/ Frankston south

8. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Yeh something in the Frankston High School zone is your best bet for that budget.

Tekoz likes this.
  9. Warrenkh018

Warrenkh018 Member

I suggest probably take a look a Gladstone Park. Its a relatively small working class area next to the Airport (in fact its the first exit on the left as you come out). It doesnt have the stigma of nearby Broadmeadows, and its got two primary schools, and a high school. I am bit biased, but I found the schools are quiet good when I went through (mid to late 1990s), got a good TER out of it.

The houses are mainly 3 bedroom 1 bath, on 500 - 600 m square blocks, built around 1970 to 1980s. There are no period or pre war homes there. I think they are going for about high 300s, low 400s depending on the quality or location. So, a 4 bed would be around the 500 mark.

There is a bus there, that get you to either the broadmeadows or Essendon train station. Personally, I liked to go Essendon way, as there are also trams as well if the Train breaks down. I suggest look for somewhere near the bus route and inside the high school zone (yes they have one now... fancy that!).

10. AusMover

Thanks a lot friends for all your valuable suggestions. :)

I shall start researching into the suggested areas, and see what is available in the market. Will try to update on my findings.

Cheers!

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Reno Crazy

Reno Crazy Well-Known Member

North sugggestions Mill Park, South Morang or Mernda (railway coming in next year or so) Plenty Road is very average for peak time travel :mad:. You might even get change out of $500K but next suburb closer in is Bundoora and you would only be buying in the very average areas in that range.

12. mpiyer

mpiyer Member

Hi
    Have a look at oatlands estate in narre warren. It has a good primary school and also not far from the train station. Added bonus is it is walking distance from the fountain gate shopping centre.

AusMover likes this.
  13. AusMover

Thanks mpiyer.... Will take a look...

14. 2409

2409 Active Member

Hi AusMover - I just bought into Maidstone myself however I paid somewhere between $500-600k. It was off-the-plan so I could take advantage of the first home savers grant and stamp duty savings were also nice. Given the cost and proximity to Highpoint, Vic Uni and the CBD, it was a winner for me.

AusMover likes this.
  15. AusMover

Thanks... and congrats Peter on your first home! :)