Need suggestions on this kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Ko Ko Naing, 5th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

It seems no one suggested to do anything with the flooring. I am thinking about Senso Vinyl Self-adhesive ones, just to freshen it up.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Ko Ko Naing

@bob shovel It's in Redan, VIC. I just want to get a higher rent, cos it's on 1000+ sqm land and holding cost needs to be as less as possible till I can subdivide or knock-down/develop in 5+ years time.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

With the price for Senso I'd look for an equivalent 5mm ones... but they are not as accessible as going down to bunnings I reckon.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

w550-h366-7201006_2_pi_150304_093003.jpeg
    I picked these up from BOQ app. We blanked off the cupboard between the cooker and the sink run of bench to slip in the freestanding dishwasher.

Whitecat, Ko Ko Naing and EN710 like this.
  5. wylie

IMG_9812.jpg

This is not great, but shows size and scale. We removed the glass doors from the upper cupboards to make it feel a bit more open and modern (and to save me some painting :D. We offered to put in a new kitchen for an extra $20 (I think) rent, but she was very happy with this kitchen.

That saved us some money and suited us because when this house is raised, we will do a new kitchen and probably put the wall and door back into this (removed before we bought it) and make it a bedroom.

It is open to a dining area which flows through to the main living room... all open to each other.

It's a shame I cannot get the listing photos from the disc with my computer because the colours were "groovy baby", fire engine red bench tops and bright blue built in banquet seating and table with red trim. Nauseating...

EN710 likes this.
  6. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Whitecat likes this.
  7. Ko Ko Naing

Thanks! The wall in reality looks a lot better than the photo. It perfectly matches the cornice and the ceiling.

I'm wondering if it normally costs a lot to install a new light fitting. A sparkie will need to be involved with the installation I assume. I think some fancy pendant will enhance the look for sure.

Cheers!

Whitecat likes this.
  8. wylie

Cost to have a sparkie swap over one light fitting for another would be negligible, especially if he is there for other small jobs.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I like these old Kitchens they are so much better than the modern materials and I also like the layout it looks reasonably spacious with lots of bench space
    If you are planning on staying in this place I would definitely replace the benchtop. You can't go wrong with stone even though it's expensive it doesn't date and it can take a lot of abuse (have to consider over capitilisation though would depend on condition and material of carcass).
    I agree you could find some handles would definitely bring it up but you need to be careful that you don't mix up styles too much and put cheap but modern handles on. I think you need to find handles that have a very classic look to them you can easily paint the cupboards that's the beauty of these old timber kitchens.
    And put some new window coverings on.
    I've seen kitchens that are less than 10 years old look much much much worse than this modern building materials can be junk.

Oh yes and don't underestimate the impact a nice night will have it sets the tone for the whole room I never try to put up budget lights.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2017
  10. Whitecat

11. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Yes for sure it will make a huge difference
    Maybe $100-300 if there allready is a light there it's not to hard for a sparky to change it

12. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I think you missed the bit where OP said this was an investment property and will be demolishing the house in 5 years or so to develop the 1000sqm of land under it?

13. Whitecat

Yes i didnt read the post really. Sorry.
    Ok. Blinds. Paint. Nice light. Possibly handles.

wylie likes this.
  14. Sonamic

It's fine. :D

Thinking about a stone bench upgrade in my oldest IP (10yo house). Area demographic has increased in the area due to the opening of 2 new hospitals.

Current tenant complaining that something is wrong with the laminex benchtops as they keep getting circular fade "stains" in them. Turns out they're exactly the same size as a hot saucepan off the stovetop. . . .:mad:

Gypsyblood and Whitecat like this.
  15. Whitecat

As you prob know, stone is going to outlast anything else in there so just make sure that you are happy with the configuration of the kitchen in case you want to replace the carcass and fronts and so on later.

16. Ko Ko Naing

@Whitecat was just scared of your avatar. :D

17. Ko Ko Naing

You remind me of my past. :( This was the main reason that made me buy my PPOR and 6 IPs after that. My missus placed a hot pan on laminated benchtop and it was burnt. Well, it was our fault anyway. I was told to replace the whole bench top by paying LL insurance excess and follow-up cost from the insurance company, because the burnt mark cannot be repaired. After several negotiations back and forth with the landlord over several weeks, the compensation was settled at $800. This made me push myself, buy a PPOR and self-learnt property investing. Now I am on the other side, being a landlord, but a fair and justice one. :)

Gypsyblood and Sonamic like this.
  18. Ko Ko Naing

As @DaveM mentioned above, it's 450D, so carcass will need to be adjusted or get a benchtop with 450D. IMO, given the demographic, stone bench top is a little bit leaning towards overcapitalizing. But thanks so much for your opinions and participation. :)

19. Sonamic

Ahhhhh @Whitecat was actually talking to me there. I think. o_O

20. Whitecat

I'm only scared of dogs and fireworks

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.