Need some suggestions for my backyard

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Freak00718, 8th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Freak00718

Freak00718 Member

Hi all,

Recently bought a place in Western sydney and looking for ideas on what to do with the backyard as well as on the side of the house. It's an investment property so will be renting it out, hence want something that is reasonable in price and easy to maintain.

I have removed the deck that was out in the backyard (it was very worn out from years in the rain and sun) and am hopefully looking to grass it all up. Looking to also replace the old timer retaining walls with something more durable - concrete or bricks, etc.

Any ideas are welcome and maybe some recommendations for contractors/companies/lahour that could help with the work.

Thanks in advance for the help

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you planning to do it yourself or hiring someone?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Granny flat?

4. Freak00718

Freak00718 Member

Will probably hire someone, a little too much work to do by myself

5. Freak00718

Freak00718 Member

Looking to do that down the line, but want more of a short term solution atm

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Is the paved back area under cover?

The pavers down the side look like they are just placed, but on the first photo seem to slope towards the house. I'd have a path laid to ensure water doesn't flow towards the house or lay pavers and gravel. Nobody is going to be heading down the sides.

Then I'd replace what is there with better steps (timber or concrete) and put in new grass (for an IP) for easy maintenance.

Joynz likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

In the process of doing a complete garden makeover. A new deck with cover, outdoor BBQ kitchen, Woodford pizza oven, landscaping, grass area for kids and a small plunge.

8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I would open the area up a bit by removing the bushy plants (or move them to the back fence if they'll survive a transplant).

Rather than making the hill hoist the centre of the backyard, I would put a fold down line on one side of the yard, either on the paved area or grass.

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  9. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

New brick or concrete walls cost $$$ . I would leave as is until a granny flat decision.

You could replace the worst of the sleepers . Straighten the lines in the paving a bit , sweep in new sand.

Fertilize and water the existing grass, thatch it .

Add a vege patch opposite the clothes line .
    I always clear the vege patch at my rental when seeking new tenants . The last time I even added a punnet of lettuce, which they were quite exited about . When I returned a few months later it was full of weeds no lettuce.

Sent from my iPhone

craigc and wylie like this.