Need some financial advice

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Xie, 6th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I think most books you can get online nowadays anyway, does Amazon have the books that you can download?
    You"ll find young people and I live and work with many of them, dont have the patience to look for books.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I know what your saying DB and I'm not totally disagreeing with you about the young generation.

But anyone that doesn't even have enough patience to look for a book, aint ever gonna be a successful property investor imo.

Samten likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The books about investing in property don't cover much. Most are the same old basics - look at all my legal and tax tips here, you won't find them in books.

freyja and Big Will like this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I agree with Terry, where is the information about the finance changes in a book?

By the time they publish a book about it the market would of changed.

5. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Always enjoy reading your legal and tax tips @Terry_w when are you going to put them altogther in an ebook or such like for a handy ref guide?

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Terry I have read many, many property books and the like and whilst I agree with you there often isn't detailed legal and tax information, most of the basics are covered quite well which imo definitely makes a big difference for a newbies and can save them many thousands of dollars from avoiding simple mistakes. It also gets them to think about concepts in a different way.

Most of property investing (a large part imo) is really just knowing the basics anyway. And with regards to tax and legal stuff, its not supposed to be in detail in books. That's what meeting with experienced finance brokers, tax and legal experts are for. The forum is an amazing resource don't get me wrong, but to say that its the only place you need to get your information from is just not true, imo mate, but everyone has their own opinion.

add in: I have also always enjoyed your input here, its very valuable.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's why books, forum and networking with like minded people are all important, not just 1 of those, imo.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing books have their place for foundations but more up to date info you will find out in the real world not in a physical book printed years ago.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No disagreement there mate.

10. Terry_w

Yes I agree that the books are a nice place to find a basic summary - and all in the one place. I and love reading them and try to get a copy of all new Aussie books on investing that come out.

I would recommend the Jan Somers books, even though they are a bit dated now.

11. Terry_w

Thanks Samten. I am collecting all the tips into a word doc and might put it all together into an ebook and/or on my website when it gets big enough. I reckon I could go on for about 2 years with daily tips before I run out.

12. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Hey Terry don't make us wait 2 years !!!!!!:eek:

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Veech

Veech Well-Known Member

Local library is a good place to look.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  14. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Hey Dan, try Jan Somers. She wrote a bestseller. It's a little dated. I think 1992. But it's a great starter. It helps make you think the way a property investor should think. She explains the fundamentals in layman's terms. It was a great read for me. You can get this from eBay. Not sure if there is an e-copy of it though.

Dan Donoghue and Sackie like this.
  15. Xie

Xie Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see that my post has generated such a great discussion. I have actually read many investment books but, as this is my first IP, the theory seems just that when it comes to making decisions. I am grateful that I can post questions here no matter how 'green' and that members put me back on track. I am hoping to purchase again soon and my knowledge and experience is growing. I will continue reading and asking questions. I have a question about something Steve McKnight said about the buy and hold strategy but will start a new thread. Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.