QLD Need some advice about Logan property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Wins, 18th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wins

Wins Member

Hi there,
    I need some advice on this, and thanks for reading and chipping in. I've got an investment property in Logan and was planning to sell it back in April-21. The property management and sales agent are 2 different parties. The sales agent didn't get along well with the property management, each accusing each other of some misappropriate actions. I have one stage the property management owner called me a few times complaining about the sales agent regarding its actions. Also the tenant eventually made complaints about the sales agent to RTA, and also wanted to have a witness to record videos of the property inspection process to potential buyers. Eventually, I have to pull it out of the sale process, in case there have been any further issues with the sales process. I was quite annoyed with the property management at this stage because it seemed the tenant had received some advice from them regarding how to deal with this "rude" sales agent. I thought selling a house is easy, but all I had was frustrations.

So I have asked the property management to send "Notice to Leave" to the Tennant so that I could eventually sell the investment property. It's been almost 2 months now, and close to the eviction date, but the Tennant has not moved out yet. All I am hearing is the property management is helping the tenant to relocate, and filling in referrals for him. But nothing so far. IS IT THAT HARD TO FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO RENT NOWADAYS? Are they buying time again for the tenant, as a tribunal date is going to be another 2 months wait? Honestly, I am not sure if I should change property management as more than anything, they should work for me, rather than against me as my objective for this property is clear, and that is to sell. I have just a few properties, and they have been with me for 3 years now, and haven't caused any major issues regarding managing the property.

Reaching out to the pros and legends here, please let me know what I should do? Any property management like @Tom Rivera, feel free to comment too, just would like some honest advice on this, that's all!

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

To find another similar place in the same area, probably not
    But to find a place at a similar price point YES

Rents have steadily and substantially increased, so when a tenant needs to move they often get a shock and realize they can't afford things.

The managing agent may still be working for you, in that tbey are probably playing nice with the tenant to try and get them out, or the tenant is a friend of a friend .......

Why did you not list it with the managing agency ?
    Maybe you should be asking for the sales dept to give you a call (you don't have to sign), it it may stir up the rentals dept

Must have been some poor form by the original sales agent to have it reported to the RTA !

Wins likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

There is a severe shortage of rental properties in SEQ, add to that the rents are climbing higher & higher each week. Yes, it's hard to find somewhere comparable for an amount that the tenants are willing to pay.

Wins likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No one likes being bullied, but you have to look at the big picture.

The PM is losing a rental so is in no hurry to get the tenant out, or co-operate with a different selling RE agent.

Your quickest sale may come from listing with the PM’s agency. Make it a condition that the sale will be “vacant possession” to maximise buyers and you won’t sign the agency agreement until the tenant is gone. This should hasten the eviction process.

Only give a 6 week SOLE (not exclusive) contract to begin with.

Wins likes this.
  5. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Raise your rent in line with market and offer a short lease if you are ok to extend tenancy for 6 months or so. Most properties rents have risen by $40-80/week which is significant. For all you know the tenant may not accept the rise and vacate themselves. Wishful thinking, but who knows it might just work for you.

Alternatively, change your PM to the same agency who you are certain to engage for sale so that they will work in tandem to sell the property with tenant in place.

Wins likes this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's hard to say from what you've written whether the PM has been working in your best interests or not. It may be that the Salesperson really was doing the wrong thing?

It is very difficult to find a rental at the moment for the majority, but top quality tenants should still be approved in their first few applications. Have these tenants got any problems with affordability, rent payments or care of the property? These days only a small issue will get people written off completely. If not, they might be being fussy or taking their time, though if the agent has been filling in references that's a good sign they're making an effort.

We're probably too late in the process to derive any major benefit from changing agents, unless you're seriously concerned that they are not working in your best interests- and I don't think you're at that point based on your writing?

If the tenants fail to vacate on the expiry of the Form 12, instruct your agent to seek a Warrant of Possession. It costs less than thirty bucks to apply to QCAT, plus any agent fees, and your wait time should be around a month. They're very simple cases to put together. Once the hearing occurs, if the tenant has continued to pay rent and can substantiate that they've made every effort to move, they may get an extension- but it's usually only for a couple of weeks. Once you're awarded the Warrant, the tenant usually has 1-2 weeks before the police turn up and physically remove them. In 100% of my cases, the tenants have miraculously found somewhere to go before the police turn up.

craigc, Wins, wylie and 1 other person like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia