Need new Antenna connection?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by kimba88, 6th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kimba88

kimba88 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Probably a very noob question, but i need some advice.

My PM has messaged me saying my tenant has been using Foxtel but advises there is no antenna connection in the roof to the antenna (when Foxtel was installed for him when he moved in, he said the connection was not there).

What exactly does this require and how much would a job like that cost? I'm up for suggestions. Is this a simple handyman job or will i need a professional?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's a job for a professional. Probably around $500-600 to install on a single storey house roof with one point inside.

3. kimba88

Oh wow, that's a lot more than i was expecting. I thought it would just be a simple connection. By the sounds of it, it doesn't affect normal tv, only some foxtel.. or would it be all foxtel? I can't understand why my tenant would be paying for foxtel, but can't use it :-/

Gingin likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I misunderstood your original Q. Seems like a case of a missing cable from the dish to the point inside. Seems a bit odd. I'd ask Foxtel or get the tenant to.

5. kimba88

Yeah it does seem a little odd. I'm not even sure my property manager knows exactly what's going on, but i think i'll get her to just get some quotes. I only wanted to avoid this if this was a simple quick fix i could carry out myself.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Who arranged for Foxtel? Was it you/pm or the tenant? If you did - your problem. Was it there before the tenant moved in?

7. kimba88

I think the tenant had it installed when he first moved in or something. He has been in the house over a year now.. but i'm wondering if it might be a separate connection for another tv in the house for his kid to watch (not the main connection with foxtel). Not 100% sure on the story, so probably best to get quotes anyway.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not your problem @kimba88

If the normal aerial point works in both rooms then your cabling is fine.

9. kimba88

It may be a matter of the aerial point working in one room and not the other. That's my guess. But i suppose if i get a quote i will find out the full story, then can decide if i should go ahead and fix it up if it is my problem

10. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Confusing post, the normal free to air is not working? Or the Foxtel? Sometimes Foxtel in the city gives you the free to air via the foxtel, in rural area's your regular free to air connects into the back of the foxtel/(austar) box.

Where is the IP located?

PM's dont usually understand issues like this, they just say we can send the antanne man around to check... :eek::eek::eek:

11. E.T

E.T Active Member

I could fix this with the following

Rubbish lid
    Fishing line
    Old radio
    Some branches

12. kimba88

It is a confusing post as i didn't have enough information at the time i guess. My PM has now got a quote for the problem.
    So basically the problem is:

"In order for the tenant to retain their foxtel and also receive free to air, the following is required: Supply and install new internal tv outlets (quote for 2 main living and bedroom $120 per outlet). Supply and install 1 masthead amplifier and power supply to boost signal to all outlets $109 for the amplifier (the signal distribution weakens if more outlets are used). Test tune and balanced upgraded system"
    TOTAL: $349 inc GST

So my PM has had a conversation with the people who quoted and what she can gather is that the foxtel is using the only outlet in the house. So if they want both foxtel and free to air, i will need another outlet and amplifier. My PM thinks the tenants should pay or contribute to the costs.

What does everyone think of the quote and do you agree with the PM or should i do a gesture of goodwill as i have a relatively good tenant? Any help is appreciated.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We get free to air via the Foxtel box. Isnt that normal?

14. Rich2011

I would think that normally there is a foxtel connection and a free to air connection point in the living room, if there is and the tenants have access to free to air then that is sufficient - unless you want to spend the extra to put points in the bedrooms...

Where is the IP located? If it is not within driving distance for you then I would ask for the phone number of the tenants and ask what the problem is and what they want. Second hand info from the PM via the tv guy?? I'd call the tenant.

15. kimba88

Apparently it's only the one connection point.. only allowing either free to air or foxtel.

The IP is around the Penrith area

16. Rich2011

Never heard of the same connection for foxtel and free to air... they are a different signal.

17. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

So what was that quote, $349 to install 4 points with a distribution amplifier?

To do this job yourself you'll need the following (prices are approximate wholesale):

A 1 in, 4 out masthead/distribution amplifier - $70.
    A 100m roll of RG6 quad shielded cable will cost around $50.
    Compression crimping tool - $20
    RG6 stripping tool - $15
    F type compression crimps - $0.85 each - you'll have at least 5 cables not including any new fly leads you decide to make so there's minimum 10 crimps.
    Wall plates with either F type or F -> PAL keystones are around $5 each. Or you can use entry boxes that mount on the skirting if entering from under the floor.

So that's just shy of $200 in materials and tools, if you're willing and able to do the job yourself. Otherwise, $349 looks like a pretty reasonable price to me.

Disclaimer - I'm not an antenna installer but I did do this exact job to my PPOR and my in-laws' place a few years ago. Conveniently, I knew a licensed cabler from work who was able to show me how to go about making the crimps etc.

18. kimba88

Oh wow, thanks for that. Maybe I should get another quote. It's not an urgent thing, so I dont know if I should bother. Would anybody else do this for their tenant or make them at least pay for some/all of it?