Need help with layout please.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by darryl11, 14th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. darryl11

darryl11 Member

Hi Everyone love the forum, wife and I have purchased our first home and it needs a good Reno, trying to make sense of the floor plan, previous owner left it half done with an extension on the back including toilet laundry, kitchen bathroom needs full gutting.Would love some ideas to make the property flow better.Would love to have sky light in kitchen also.House is north east facing.If you need more pictures I can certainly post them.Thank you all.

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What is your budget?

3. darryl11

darryl11 Member

We don’t have one at the moment we will be living in this home for a time hopefully to grow a little family.Do have trades amongst my family to lean on also.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Initial thoughts are that I'd open the kitchen to the family area. Is the brown L shaped bit off the family a deck because the grey area is labelled "patio"?

I'd get rid of the wall between kitchen and the bathroom with two doors that looks like a hallway and seems a waste of space. But I'd close up that door to the toilet and put it in the bathroom, or beside the bathroom with door from the hall, if you like a separate toilet.

I'd also not want the toilet near the laundry opening from the family room.

Do you want an ensuite? Because that makes it more challenging.

Is the rumpus on the same level as the house? Could it be joined up? How much yard do you have behind the patio?

5. darryl11

darryl11 Member

Yes the L shape is a small deck stepping down to the patio.The rumpus is actually the start of a converted garage with the store section being left to put a bathroom and small kitchen in it hopefully.

The extension family room steps down from the kitchen area.

The added toilet and laundry we had an idea to close the toilet off with only access through laundry so it does not open straight out into family room.

This is a rough idea we had but not too sure if it flows.

Attached Files:

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would swap your kitchen and dining, have one big open plan. The way you've drawn it makes it feel small and compartmentalised. And you don't need a hallway. That's what I'd do anyway.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is there a permit for the garage conversion?

8. darryl11

darryl11 Member

Great thank you gives us something to think about, we have had this suggested also.

9. darryl11

darryl11 Member

No I don’t think so,we were thinking of making it self contained for family visits only.

10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

In addition to this - what about take rumpus wc & laundry into extended bed 3 as new master?
    Have a WIR and en-suite with existing plumbing should work.
    Rumpus is large so even if pinch a small amount for new laundry should be fine.
    Agree move main WC to hallway access and not opening up into new dining area.
    Also open up kitchen/lounge as well.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Your house was originally the “standard” 1960s house finishing at the straight line behind the kitchen-bathroom-bedroom 3. The toilet opens off what would have been the original laundry.

What do you want to achieve by altering the plan?

In the first instance, I would simply open the toilet to the bathroom and extend the kitchen area to include the old laundry With the toilet closed off. Then open the other toilet to the laundry instead if the family room.

These should be relatively inexpensive and will make the house “flow” better while you decide what else you want to do.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

In your suggested plan, @darryl11, the toilet is on the other side of the house from the bedrooms, which might be inconvenient at night or when residents are unwell. Keep another toilet in the bathroom.