Need help with ideas of building either Patio/Verandah or Sunroom (Sydney)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by yoyobubble, 10th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

which plan would be more suitable as well as having more value for money in terms of adding value to

1. Patio/Verandah

2. Sunroom

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. yoyobubble

yoyobubble New Member

My house is close to handover date and there was no Alfresco or patio from initial building contract, I feel like the dining area is a bit small with 6x4=24m2 and it is facing south, the back yard is too large for me with 11 meters from dining room to the back fence (over 110 m2) so now I have been thinking to do some sort of extension firstly to less the work of mowing lawn, then I can have a area for a bigger dinner table when friends coming by, excercise/work out area for myself and BBQ etc.

Now there are 2 plans:

1. Just to build the roof (prefer to use solid polycarbonate for better lighting as the dining room is facing south) and the ground (deck or tile) then get those zip trak like blind for the three sides to resist wind/rain/bugs when necessary, also I can build an extra kitchen as my current one is quite smally with size of only 2.6x2.4m. Also this doesn’t require council approval when the size is less than 25m2, however there are some Cons such as it requires frequent cleaning, cant fully avoid mosquitos or flies, cannot be used as a inner space due to no enclosure etc

2. To construct a sunroom, however there is not much sunlight due to facing south but just to add more space for dinning area with more functions. Some of the cons will be it requires council approval and if only have the enclosure material built with aluminium alloy then it is actually warmer during summer and colder in winter, but if it is built with proper brick then the price would be much more expensive. Also if this sunromm got built then it is unlikely to have a outdoor activity area for my house.

May I get your insight and advice on this which plan would be more suitable as well as having more value for money in terms of adding value to the property

Please see attached floor plan for my ground floor and the actual look now. Also attached 2 sample pictures for these 2 plans (I will ask for a better design when I am building my own)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Welcome for the forum.

Are you saying you have a house being built, not yet handed over?

Would you be wanting to change the kitchen that has just been built?

I wonder if you are better to have handover, live in it for a little while and work out exactly what you want to change.

Won't you pay a lot to make changes now?

3. yoyobubble

yoyobubble New Member

Thanks for the reply, so now it is what it is and I cannot change anything as everything has already been constructed, these 2 plans are the extensions I would like to do after handover.