QLD Need Help! Where to buy in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by adickt, 30th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

@Observer
    Yet another Sydney investor introducing competition for the locals eh...
    I and my posse will meet you at the airport carpark [ cracking knuckles] and tell you some good tips:cool::p:D

2. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

@JDP1, no worries mate :). Just need one at this stage, will leave the rest for the locals ;).

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Buy in prices:
    Carindale will the a bit more expensive than the others. Chermside is cheapest median.

Supply:
    Chermside has the most under development.
    Chermside also has the most developable land available. A fair bit in mt Gravatt and surrounding as well.

Demand:
    Good for all areas. Probably pop growth a bit higher for Chermside [ mainly due to lower buy in prices] and availability to RE options [ under construction and future construction]

Suburb quality: Carindale, then mt gravatt then Chermside. There are a few bogans in the south [mt Gravatt] and the north [ Chermside] to watch out for but nothing too bad- it aint woodridge, Caboolture, struggle st Druitt etc. Carindale is a high socio econ area.

Travel and Infrastructure:
    People say north is nightmarish traffic but with the new infrastructure may be better.
    Mt Gravatt has dedicated busway to the CBD and this is a big help.
    Carindale doesn't have fully dedicated busway nor a train line, but a dedicated busway [ eastern busway extension] is under planning and will likely be approved in the next few years.

Distance from CBD: all about same- 10 km or so.

CG potential, % wise, my guru predictions:
    In next 0-4 years- Either mt Gravatt or Chermside. Id probably say Chermside just because of lower buy in prices [all it will take is small CG$ increases to result in higher % growth]

4-8 years: mt gravatt

In 8-12 yrs - Carindale

In 12+ years- Carindale

bhojapudur, Catalyst, Sam Yue and 3 others like this.
  4. adickt

adickt Member

@JDP1 Great advice! Thank you!
    I doubt with my budget i can afford to buy house in those areas! How about townhouse in upper mt gravatt? Will it achieve good capital gain as well?

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yep..i think so...

6. Observer

Thanks @JDP1! Awesome summary!

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Well in the past 10 years mine has doubled in value along with the yield also.

Patamea and KayTea like this.
  8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

I prefer southside metro BCC precinct - its the growth corridor between Brisbane & GC.

As such, Upper Mt Gravatt & Carindale satellite cbd's and/or adjacents.

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Cleveland ticked the box for me too.. CG comes down to the supply & demand equation - crowded bolsters the demand side of supply/demand ratio and the water limits half the areas supply. :) Only way is build up or inland away from its CBD.

10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yup..@Rixter is right.
    I would add to that if you can get between the satellite cbd's and the CBD itself...closer to the satellite cbd's than the CBD ( to protect against supply)then you will have struck gold. Problem is these areas have already moved in the last 1 year and are not cheap.

11. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

The whole point of the satellite city is to enable people to live the city lifestyle outside of the city. I think that moving in between like you say whilst convenient to both would not give you the intended lifestyle that satellite cities will provide.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

May, may not
    ..but it will give really good growth, and that's what more are after than lifestyle, I would have thought.

13. Jaik2012

Jaik2012 Well-Known Member

@Rixter - Algester seems to be well placed adjacent to satellite CBDs but the growth seems to be negative compared to it's neighbors for units although yield looks good. Is there a reason for it like oversupply etc?

14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Very few units in Algester. Mostly 1980s houses on large blocks. Check the size of the sample

15. Observer

@Rixter @JDP1 Just had a chance to compare the population growth forecasts for Carindale, Upper Mount Gravatt and Chermside.

Looks like Carindale is very far behind the other two. Any idea why Upper Mount Gravatt is supposed to skyrocket between 2026 and 2036?

http://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/subjects...j-pop-medium-series-sa2-sa3-sa4-qld/index.php

Suburb 2011 2016 2021 2026 2031 2036
    Chermside 8,578 10,034 12,714 13,808 15,142 18,542
    Carindale 16,270 17,094 17,329 17,833 18,123 18,171
    Upper Mount Gravatt 9,296 9,905 11,601 13,519 20,027 26,709

16. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

@Observer the answer to your question can be found in Brisbane's Long Term Infrastructure Plan.

As in most area demographics, future long term demand and infrastructure projects to support it, is employment driven. Which is why Adelaide should be given as wide a berth as possible for those out there entertaining the idea.

I hope this helps.

17. quop

quop Well-Known Member

The Upper Mt Gravatt Precinct is the main focus of the Mt Gravatt Corridor Neighbourhood Plan (link). The precinct functions "as a Principal Regional Activity Centre (PRAC). The PRAC is highly accessible by most modes of transport and serves as a focal point for employment, administration, cultural, entertainment, retail and service activities on the south side of Brisbane."

KayTea likes this.
  18. Observer

Thanks @Rixter!

@JDP1 With that kind of population growth do you still think Carindale area will outperform long term?

19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

In long term, strong - I think better than others especially when that busway extension comes in..will happen buyt still years away.
    The others you mentioned will likely have higher short and med term pop growth rates mainly due to lower entry prices.

Observer likes this.
  20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Take into account the base pop when comparing % growth. Obviously lower base pop needs to put on less to show higher numbers than one with a higher base pop.
    Same goes for median prices.

Observer likes this.