Need help to reconfigure floorplan of IP that may soon be a PPOR, please!!!

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Lacrim, 22nd Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi all

so we're considering moving into one of our IP's next year. Was previously zeroing on one we have in the Eastern Suburbs but due to good schools in the area, am now considering a diff IP - a semi-detached single storey terrace in the Inner West.

It' a currently a 3x1 but we need to make it 3x2. The constraints/difficulties are that its:
    • only 80 sqm of habitable space
    • the current living room dimensions are adequate but the bedrooms, particularly the master bedroom is too small
    • we're trying to avoid a costly extension
    • There is a fully lined attic (14 sqm) which we will use as a study so that's a good thing
    Per the attached floorplan (sorry its in Excel), can anyone please revolutionise/evolve the floorplan so that we have a :
    • decent master with ensuite (ideally 16 sqm not including the ensuite)
    • a decent sized kitchen with island
    • a decent sized living/dining circa 25 sqm
    • still have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms downstairs in the end

Have been beating my head against a wall for weeks and can't come up with anything out of the box.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Initial thoughts -

Laundry doesn't need to take up that corner. Can you incorporate it into a cupboard (European laundry)? That will make the kitchen seem bigger.

Remove the wall on the RHS between living room and kitchen to make it feel much more open.

Pushing into bedroom 2 to create an ensuite will make that room very tiny. Can you put one bedroom upstairs in the attic and create a study nook elsewhere?

Or push out into the courtyard near the living room to turn current Bedroom 3 into the master and push an ensuite out to the side (currently courtyard)?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You could make the main entrance into the living room, and extend the master into the hall way.

Another option, as suggested by Wylie is to extend into the courtyard, but I imagine you want to retain the driveway for parking?

I think you need a good architect, with experience in extracting the most out of small spaces.

4. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

I like this idea

Stoffo likes this.
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Easiest way is to lose bedroom 3 and make it a 2br + study. Turn bedroom 2 and 3 into master with ensuite and walk in robe with access to courtyard. Much else will be a bit of a challenge

Wait I have had inspiration, with a small extension you can do this

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23rd Jul, 2017
    EN710 likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

Wylie, all good ideas but I am trying to avoid going to council etc and extending the footprint of the house. I appreciate though, that 80sqm is really pushing it in terms of space and the (reasonably significant amount of ) money trying to reconfigure could be better served putting towards an extension so we get more space, as opposed to the perception of space.

Joynz
    yes I have thought of that but given the type of house it is it would really look funny because not only would we have to access the house from teh side, we would have to open a 3m driveway gate (not in my diagram) to access the house.

Hmm, back to square one. Problem is, a 70- 80sqm double storey extension will cost circa $300K plus fro what I've been told by virtue of where the house is (Newtown).

Has anyone recently done a smallish double storey extension (3 beds + bathroom) for say $100K or close to???

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Great! I've thought of this permutation too sort of ...would a Master at the rear opening up to living directly ( as opposed to a hallway) devalue the prop? And where would I stick the laundry given the kitchen is already small?

8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

its not ideal but value added with master + ensuite + second bath would generally be much greater.

Probably need a small half length wall between the bathroom and living as there are rules re bathrooms opening into living/dining spaces. Like this

[​IMG]

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I love problem solving, but this one seems too hard. There just doesn't seem to be enough space to make it work.

I would combine the living and kitchen together though, and move the laundry into a cupboard. Extra bathroom.... if push comes to shove, what about an outhouse construction? (Though I doesn't know where you would put that either).

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I thought I'd upload a few photos of the house so you can see what you're contending with....a bad layout and at best, a modestly updated pretty crappy property..bordering on unrenovated. There's a lot wrong with it. Location is A1 though:rolleyes: P1000775.JPG P1000825.JPG P1000830.JPG P1000839.JPG P1000854.JPG P1000860.JPG

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

floorplan 2.png And this is one of the floorplans I came up with that's a little similar with DaveM's albeit doing the (slightly questionable) extension onto the neighbour's wall.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

P1000847.JPG P1000851.JPG And this is the fully lined attic, which looks nothing like the rest of the house. Looks cavernous but it isn't..only 14 sqm

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This often happens, unfortunately :(
    Trying to "make do" with what you have :oops:

Have you considered finding and buying something more suitable in the local area, you could keep or off load the current place depending on affordability :rolleyes:

Even if the new place is an UP for a few months......

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

This is my interpretation

The laundry would become a euro cupboard laundry in the new main bathroom

I've kept plumbing and walls where they are - removed some though

Attached Files:

Gockie likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Can't Stoffo - won't meet serviceability for a new place in same area with current lending restrictions - even after selling.

16. Gockie

@Lacrim, I think the best asset you could get more out of is the side driveway/courtyard.

17. Gockie

I like this

18. Westminster

Is there any rear garden?
    Unfortunately with my design if you do it, it does prevent any flow to rear garden

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol no Westminster, this is the rear garden. Oh the horror. It may also shock you to know that I'm getting about $900pw in rent for this place. The value of the house is its location.
    IMG_0142.JPG

Westminster likes this.
  20. Westminster

I think your option to extend sideways onto neighbours is a great idea. Then build a nice pergola over the courtyard and driveway spot

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.