Need an excellent accountant

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Otie, 12th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Could members please recommend a really good switched on tax accountant?
    We need to find one that knows there stuff regarding small business for our small business, and also that has a good understanding of investment property tax/issues and prep work.
    Hoping to get one that is a gun at both.
    Want someone who will remind us of our obligations and do prepare everything for us rather than getting a letter from the ATO 3 years down the track saying we haven't lodged a form etc.

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

For medium term survival it does not work that way,if you already run a business,then day by day week by week you are the one to keep track
    of everything ,all the Accountant does is add the numbers ,but from what i read in this site there are a few high level high Accountants that stand out from the rest,and the only risk would be you become more successfull..

3. House

House Well-Known Member

Try @Paul@PFI or Nick Moustacas of Strategic Wealth Management, both highly recommended :)

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yes we run a small busines and have for last 10 years.
    The accountant we have used for the past 5 years basically just puts through all the info I I tell him. I want someone who can provide good solid advice, and structures etc to prepare for tax time. I'm sick of our accountant not telling me if we need to lodge something to be compliant etc. I have found if j don't do it it doesn't get done! Just want someone to take the pressure off a bit because we are doing too much prep ourselves

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

+1

He knows his stuff.

Cheers

Jamie

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Some accountants are like that. They don't point out the obvious.
    I have seen clients who have depreciation schedules on one property but not on others. When I question why they weren't claiming depreciation on both they have no idea.

Another client's tax return had one property completely missing. It was negatively geared too. He had no idea why it wasn't included and said his accountant knew about it too.

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Will contact him today.