Need advise on my first IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Beng, 8th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beng

Beng Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a property in Redbank Plains, QLD for my first IP.

So, since I live in Melbourne, I need to find a good PM to help managing it.
    Any reference whom I can reach out ?

Also, any other advise for a beginner investor will be appreciated.
    Such as,
    # what insurances I need to get ... other than landlord / property
    # I am looking for building inspector ... but this is already on other thread, if can be combined here, it's fine with me
    # Anything else I need to watch out for ? from a local point of view ?

Thank you for reading

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We use Archicentre for our purchases where inspection is required.

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

Where are you at in the process?

The Y-man

4. Beng

Beng Member

Hi Y-man,

Thank you for your suggestion and interest.

I had looked online and actually found more bad reviews than the good ones around ... or maybe I looked it wrong.

# Building and pest inspection
    I'm considering between Brett from Inspec (as suggested by people in this forum) & inspectmyhome.com.au (referred by buyer agent)

# Property management - considering the one currently managing it
    # Quantity surveyor ... haven't even start looking, but consider using BMT (referred by buyer agent)
    # Insurance ... friend mentioned he uses Aami for building and tenancy & Terri Sherri (or similar) for rental insurance .... I haven't research insurance yet, actually.

5. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

As you are living in Melbourne, you certainly require a proactive PM to ensure the maximum return on your investment.

Talk to property managers who have investment properties of their own as they have a better understanding of what is required to manage your property.

I find Terri Sherri one of the best to deal with in regards to landlord insurance.

6. Beng

Beng Member

Thanks , a friend of mine also using them.
    will check it out

Tanya1335 likes this.
  7. Beng

Beng Member

Hi all,

Update on this thread.
    Building and pest inspection done, no major issue found, possible pest treatment required (possible never had done in a very long while)

However, here is the story:
    Tenant and current PM of the property reported issue with ensuite bathroom, leaking (possibly behind the wall) ... and tenant no longer use the ensuite.
    This, is not reported/detected in the building inspection ... maybe due to tenant hasn't been using it ?
    PM has got a quote from plumber to fix it ... it's pretty much the whole thing, remove vanity, fix issue, waterproof, re-tile, etc ... predicted 8000-8500.
    For an issue that will cost that much, it surprised me that it's not detected.

My question would be, does that quote sounds reasonable ?
    Or anyone has a plumber that services Redbank Plains area that I could contact for second opinion & quote ?
    so far, these are from tenant & PM & plumber, whom no one I know, so, maybe good idea to find an independent party.

8. The Y-man

Yes it should have been picked up if it was visible.

It must have been visible at some stage because the tenant knows about it - BUT it could have been painted over just before the sale. I recalll one house we sold that we had to keep painting a small patch of wall every week before the open to hide a moisture patch that kept reappearing.

If you are buying a property with tenants, it is very important to get to talk to them and ask "HI, are there any issues with this property?". Where a seller will have reasons to hide things, a tenant never will.

The Y-man

Anthony Brew likes this.
  9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hiya

Best to start a new thread with "looking for a PM in xxxx" as the title - you'll get more responses.

As for building/pest - same deal. Although - you could also do some googling and read up on reviews. That's how I found my last build/pest inspector and he was awesome. I knew I was onto a winner when Real Estate Agents were giving the guy 1 star for his damning reports :)

Cheers

Jamie

10. Beng

Beng Member

Thanks Y-man & Jamie.
    I decided to terminate the offer, being honest in numbers it's not a great IP afterall ... back to drawing board.
    Note for admin: if can close this thread, please do so, thank you :)