need a retaining wall inspector (Brisbane south)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by charlie01, 26th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I just noticed the retaining wall on our neighbour side (lower side) is not retaining soil properly, because large amount of the soil under the boundary fence has disappeared. The retain wall on their side is about 150 - 200mm from the boundary fence. The height of the retaining is about 2-4 sleepers (timber). My concern is that the ongoing loss of the soil will affect the foundation of my house which is very close to the boundary fence.

More worrying is that the neighbour has replaced a section of the retaining wall possibly without BCC approval. The height of this section of the retaining wall is about 2-3 sleepers (timber). According to Brisbane City Council, the wall which is closer than 1.5 metres to a building or another retaining wall requires Building Approval. The distance between our building and their retaining wall is less than 1 metre.

As a result I want to hire a reliable inspector to have a look at the retaining wall. Any suggestion / recommendation would be appreciated.

2. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Hills and Associates I have on owners properties through the years and never had a problem. They are building inspectors and engineers.

3. charlie01

Thanks for the recommendation. I just visited their website. Their services include "Non-structural retaining walls". Our retaining wall, although not very high, is structural. I may use them for different inspections in the future. Thanks again.

Chivaun.Shortis likes this.
  4. devank

devank Well-Known Member

If your neighbour is lower because they had a cut and fill then who is legally responsible if the retraining wall collapses?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@devank - depends what the S88B instrument says - who has the right of support or cross covenants?

upload_2017-9-27_19-24-17.png

What did you do that parole is 2030?

devank likes this.
  6. charlie01

As the retaining wall is inside their yard, so they should be fully responsible. The property is in Brisbane.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia