Need a new Front Loader washing machine.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lemmy a fiver, 7th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Need to buy a new Front Loader for our PPOR tomorrow.
    Old one served us well, 2 repairs over 14 years with a largish family usage (there are 6 of us). But its finally beyond fixing I am told.
    Any recommendations on current makes/models by PC members or also those to steer clear of would be much appreciated, as I haven't had to purchase one for a long while.

Thanks,
    Lemmy.

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We bought a direct drive lg 6 months ago. It's been fantastic. Not expensive either...

Lemmy a fiver likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've been married 30 years. Had an Asko for first 20, bought a Bosch (didn't like it as much), gave it to my son when he moved out and bought another Asko.

Asko washing machines and dishwashers for me, every time.

Kassy and Lemmy a fiver like this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I don't have a front loader but my dad, sister and mother-in-law all have Asko front loaders. They bought them independently without knowledge of the others and all love them...

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

For a family of 6 I'm sure that is a lot of washing.
    I bought the love of my life late last year - a 16kg front loader. OMG it's a amazeballs - I can put a whole bed of manchester and blankets in it.
    I got the one with the inbuilt dryer AddWash™ 16KG Front Loader/ Dryer with AddDoor (WD16J9845KG) | WD16J9845KG/SA | Samsung Australia
    I've only had it for 6mths and the washing is great, the dryer probably not as good as it tends to leave lint in the bowl a bit but that doesn't phase me as I bought it for the washing capacity first of all and the dryer as an added bonus. The 'add door' is handy as I'm always finding some the kids socks in various places where they shouldn't be.
    This is the model without the dryer
    16KG Front Loader with Quick Wash (WF16J9000KW) | WF16J9000KW/SA | Samsung Australia

6. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Yes @Westminster the Wife & I both saw that Samsung model today, unfortunately its too large for our space available as our laundry is a long, narrow galley set up as its a conversion of an old back verandah. So I need a standard size to fit under the existing benchtop.
    Thanks also to everyone for the suggestions on the other models too. Looked at many today.
    Eventually went for another Bosch (to replace our 14 year old Bosch).
    Its so much quieter than the old one, guess that happens after 14 years.
    More expensive than the LG's etc, but half the price of the Asko's etc.
    I'll let you all know if I'm as happy with its performance as its predecessor in about 5+ years LOL.

hammer and Westminster like this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow 16kg :eek:!! i was excited with our new 10kg bad boy top loader:oops: (grays online for 30%of rrp;) )

I didn't know such a beast existed! Good to smash out all the linen in the neighbourhood in one go:cool:

Westminster likes this.
  8. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Here's a question...what are the benefits of a front loader over a top loader?

9. Westminster

Luckily we are building a new house so have factored the behemoth into the new laundry :)
    I'm sure you'll be happy with the Bosch

10. Westminster

Uses less water and softer on clothes as there is no central agitator and ummm gives you more benchspace in the laundry if you run the benchtop over it.
    This is my first front loader - always been a toploader girl - but the 16kg was too good to ignore.

11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Have had a Bosch for nearly a year, no problems and does a good job ...

Propertunity and Lemmy a fiver like this.
  12. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Cons - usually, even the shortest cycle is a minimum of 30 minutes.

Pros - When on the fastest spin cycle, it spins so much water out of the clothes that they are little more than damp when I hang them on the line to wash, so drying time is greatly reduced. Also, my clothes, linen etc, seem to stay in better condition for longer. And yes, a great water saver, too.

13. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Bought a ripper, huge Samsung with all the flashy lights, bells an whistles. I loved it until it died 4 years in and the repair guy said not repairable, he also said anything made in the last 5-10ish years won't last (not just washers most most of that type of stuff). Made me have a good head scratch and work out what that machine cost us per year of it's short life (our previous machine went on for 10+ years and was still going strong when we left it behind).

So, I jumped on Gumtree and bought a used one for $200. I figure if I have to do that every year I'll still be ahead of the game. This one has all the same features as the expensive new dead one, same load capacity, is actually quieter and still going strong 3 years later.

EDITED to add - a quick tip for prolonging the life of your machine, wind your spin cycle right back down to a max of 800rpm (even less if you're doing a heavy towel load or something). Seems a lot of issues with washers breaking down are due to the high spin cycles, (especially if you've an uneven load). There's not much difference betwen the wetness of the washing at the end between 800 & 1200+ RPM but it could drastically lengthen the life of your machine.

Westminster and wylie like this.
  14. Westminster

And with all your disposable washing machines you can make a fire pit

[​IMG]

Adabel, Propagate and ross100 like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia