Need a Mentor?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by skater, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But at least his not LOE, nice little earner, no need to worry about the 10 year plan and how the hell you going to get out of the debt pickle...... Just saying, oops that's another thread. Back to mentoring:)

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Well...if the Greeks have done that for years why not the LOE Ponzi?? :p:D

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nothing wrong with mentors. I've had a couple of unofficial mentors in the past, one in particular I would learn something from each and every time I met him.

SS /PC is great but there's definitely some things I learnt from him I haven't heard being discussed here.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Like what, please?

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sanj

Fair enough, I think this thread is tongue in cheek, there are those totally making a meal out of it and riping investors off with over the top fees and no value whatsoever and this thread is targeting a particular group/person.

I know there are also many experienced investors prepared to give advice free of charge, but when it is ongoing then it's time to give back, works both ways, just my thoughts.

Mtr:)

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2015
  6. BigL

BigL Active Member

Id take that offer, since they stoped making the zinger tower :(

THO I do believe that a mentor has a place. Mine is my old boss and friend whose done very well for himself. He has helped me in making the right choices early to avoid years trying to catch up. Plus SS gives me extra guidance to move forward after I've exhuasted all his knowledge.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So how does this work?

What do you give back to your boss/friend?

Mar:)

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

So....like I said, SS gives you far more mentorship (is that a word?). AND it's FREE, which it probably was from your boss as well.

My issue is people/companies that want to ' mentor', but it's all a disguise for business. Nothing wrong with Businesses charging an hourly rate to give you one on one advice suitable for your situation but most charge like a wounded bull for a 'session' for someone with little experience to give you generic mediocre advice.

Plus, why have ONE mentor, when here you can have MANY. You might have more than one interest, so you might have a 'raport' with several members based on their different experiences.

DoubleD, Property Twins and Catalyst like this.
  9. keithj

keithj Well-Known Member

Bugger.... I was planning to start a new business - Mentoring the Mentor :eek:

In all seriousness, whenever I get a PM asking for help/advice/comment, I send back a pretty standard email I've developed....

From now on I will be attaching an invoice for $550 with it :eek:

Jacque likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I reckon you bottle your sweat and sell it as the snake oil oinment to successful proerty investment...

11. BigL

BigL Active Member

He gets the privilage of knowing me :D oh and beer. Haha

12. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@skater.

Most successful ppl have some sort of Mentor/coach or someone that provides require knowledge and to keep things in line

few names come to mind

Warren buffet
    Steve Waugh
    Roger Federer

for lot of members here somersoft has been mentor and now PC.

But stay away from someone who just wants money and fringe benefits...

Come to PC, ask questions, PM experienced Members, learn a thing or two.. see if that suits you .. Apply that knowledge in real life.. if it works good.. if it doesn't work. keep trying till you get it right.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

I agree to all, in this forum and SomerSoft, I do learn a lot for sure.

Glad that I can found a great forum to share idea and learn everyday. :D

14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

In my mind there is very little doubt of the obvious massive benefits of having a mentor (in any field really).

The benefits are massive.

The problem is many of the commercial mentor companies don't really care about your individual situation and they are not independent mentors, they have an agenda.

PropertyChat whilst it does have many, many successful investors who do no doubt have valuable mentorship advice, for me the issue is too many cooks spoil the broth. If I was a newbie on here, I would develop a genuine friendship with a small handful of investors on here who you see as successful and want to emulate their success and strategy and engage with them 1 on 1 if they are willing to. Trying to get specific mentorship from a hundred people posting conflicting advice, strategies and paths is not the best way IMHO.

Patsy, Mitesh Dedhia and Coota9 like this.
  16. Arch

Arch New Member

Spot on Leo....

17. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

100% agree with Leo.

Having an individual plan of what you want to achieve and by what date when it comes to property investment is key..

And that should determine how you narrow down your mentor,no use having a mentor that flips property if your plan is to buy and hold.

There are successful investors in each segment of property investing,-buy and hold,reno,developing etc wonder what each of their keys to success in that field are?

Knowledge and ability to put that into action would be a great attribute I would have thought!!

18. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

One of the first things anyone says to a newbie is "get a good mentor" and "ask lots of questions".It is not as simple as that when you're a newb. You know you want to get into Property Investing. But there are many, many questions that you need to ask and can sometimes feel, and be made to feel, silly for asking. Even on here where the majority of people are tolerant toward the plight of the uneducated, there are still some who seek to shut you down. No strategy? You're kidding right? Most starting out don't have one. That's the point. Making getting a single mentor difficult. As you progress, so lessens the need. It's a big game. With a beginner level, intermediate and advanced. And all levels are represented on this forum. Just keep in the game.

Patsy, S.T, Mitesh Dedhia and 2 others like this.
  19. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Spot on, Sonamic!

Sounds like my plight right now.

20. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

There are three types of questions to ask:

1) Things you know
    2) Things you know that you don't know
    3) Things you don't know

Most beginners, myself included, don't know what we should be asking. I've found many threads here and on SS that teach me what I would never have considered.

Why I would love to have a few experts on hand is if I find a suitable and well priced property, asking about it on a public forum, then having a stranger offer $5k more if it's a great deal.