Health & Family Neck pain back pain

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 21st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I often have muscle tightness around the upper back and neck, and sometimes (like today) it causes pretty annoying headache enough to make me nauseous for the entire day.

Anyone have similar issue? How do you manage it?
    Looking around others my age and older than me don't seem to have this issue, I wonder if it's not normal :oops:

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Is it posture related?

I had the same pain - I thought it was from exercise/being active - ends up my monitor was a tad too low and my sitting posture was bad. Two trips to the physio - a few exercises/tips and now I'm sorted.

Cheers

Jamie

mrdobalina likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Parts of it is posture yes. Usually swimming helps, along with massage roller, massage ball, and spikes matt. But this week the neck has been killing me nothing really work well.

We usually go to osteopath every now and then but our usual guy has moved back to Melbourne :(

4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Do you do any exercise?

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Swimming 2-3 times a week and body boarding once a week. Admittedly sometimes neck get worse after body board o_O

6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Sounds like my issue as well. Neck/shoulders are really tight. Lower back aches a well. I regularly exercise. I do sit in front of a computer all day, and then at night it's PChat stalking. I have regular trips to the physio. I also bought some magnesium oils, preferably put on after shower and apply a heat pack too.
    ( Not affiliated with them )
    SHOP

EN710 likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Similar, I have desk job.
    Does the magnesium oil work?

8. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

It helps, I do have magnesium deficiency, I get cramps easily. The magnesium oils also help with mild headaches. I bought the bundle, so have been using it for months now.

EN710 likes this.
  9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Have lower back pain, doctor suggested hydrotherapy, I love it! first session last week and am looking forward to my two sessions a week.
    Needed a referral from my doctor and my physiotherapist will supervise for two sessions.

EN710 likes this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Maybe try some massage, and also some resistance training to strengthen your muscles.

EN710 likes this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Likes bubbly water? :D
    I guess I should find new therapist :(

12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Swimming is great - long term something changes.
    Yoga is fantastic.
    Extreme meditation (vipassana) will help reduce your physical reaction which is causing the tension and also help you to not react so much to the pain itself.
    We all react in our own special ways and I guess this is your brand of self sabotage. :p

Starbright and EN710 like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Last edited: 21st May, 2017
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

What is your core strength like?

Most posture related issues stem back to a lack of core strength (or just simple abuse from poor working ergonomics).

I have had ongoing issues since I was at uni with ribs which get out of alignment (posture related) causing the muscles in the back to tighten to compensate - which in turn causes the neck muscles to tighten - which can at times cause nausea and a migraine (feels like someone jabbing icepicks in the top of my skull and into my right eye).

After many years of useless treatment, I found a physio who actually understood the root cause of these things and helped me get to the point where I could largely self-manage. Unfortunately he was so good he got headhunted by the GWS Giants to be their head physio.

I only take aspirin for pain relief due to muscle tightness when I feel a muscle related headache developing (avoid codeine). If I don't treat the headache early enough, that's when the migraines can start.

I can recommend a great physio practice in Drummoyne who deal with spine and pelvis related issues if you are looking for some assistance, guidance or treatment.

Other recommendations: avoid laptops, or if you must use one, use an external screen, keyboard and mouse.

Using a laptop keyboard and trackpad causes your shoulders to tense - they should be neutral and relaxed. Looking down at a laptop screen is not a neutral position for your neck. Make sure you have a good chair, your keyboard is at the correct height to keep your shoulders in a neutral position (and not too far away!) and that your monitor is at the correct height to keep your neck in a neutral position.

Height adjustable desks can help immensely - being able to change your working position keeps your joints from seizing up. Sitting in a static position for extended periods is one of the worst things you can do. I don't recommend fixed standing desks - you want to be able to swap between sitting and standing. And if working standing up - make sure you get a good anti-fatigue mat to stand on, else your feet and ankles will kill you.

USC and EN710 like this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Gotta agree with Simon... You need to find the cause, treat that and it will go away. There's no point in treating only the symptoms.
    Good luck.

EN710 likes this.
  16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel I'm not sure how good my core strength is... what's normal?

We use tablet with height adjustable stand and monitor screen and desk at work (I.e. Can be made into standing desk) so might need to use it more. While I tried to be aware of my posture sometimes it ended up somewhere not ideal after a long sitting period.

A contact to a physio might be good, yes please :)

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Get an ergonomic assessment at work, if you can, to be sure that your desk and chair are set up properly.

EN710 likes this.
  18. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I have a jaw complaint that can be exacerbated by poor posture and stiffness in the neck. My jaw is out of alignment and this can lead to quite bad migraine-like headaches in the temple area. These headaches can last 12-24+ hours and are debilitating enough to significantly impact sleep.

Regular general exercise helps. The Endorphins help reduce stress. I tend to get the bad headaches during times when I am not regularly exercising.

Many people have undiagnosed jaw issues which can be a cause of bad headaches. The condition is called TMJD. Do your jaw joints click and clunk or get tight? Initially thought the pain was associated with wisdom teeth and had all 4 out 16 years ago. Eventually a cat scan confirmed the TMJ problem.

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

A tense jaw ( and jaw 'clicking') can also be caused by tooth grinding or jaw clenching. Quite common while people sleep. Wearing a plate at night (one specially made by a dentist) is helpful.

Myotherapy can help by massaging the jaw muscles (can be painful, but works).

Last edited: 21st May, 2017
  20. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Do you have an external keyboard/mouse?