ASX Shares Nearmap (NEA)

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by kum yin lau, 7th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Its up around 400% isn't it and has recently boosted its coffers

Re: My earlier comment, though we use Nearmaps, its limited to our work area only

I had a personal subscription but they then raised the price(again)

For those in NSW check this out someone estimated circa 2013

lixas4 likes this.
  2. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

Hi, the 50m they raised would be used for expansion, my guess is into Canada. At today's price, it is a buy.

i started buying "back' a bit too early but i picked up 10000 shares at 1.37

today i bought at 1.45 and 1.47

please be aware if you're interested in this share that i did sell at 1.905 and a big block at above 1.80

Good luck,,
    Ky

3. kum yin lau

Hi, just sold 500 shares at 1.98

that's up 20% from October to now.

I sold a few shares to jinx it so it'll go up some more. It never fails, when I sell, it always goes up.

KY

4. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Nearmap is an interesting company.

But comparing $1.92 and $0.385 is as misleading as it gets...

5. kum yin lau

Hi, beating the same old drum, from Jan to now, it's up $1.20, that's another 50%

The difference this time around is the analysts are now recommending it.

KY

6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I bought NEA for 40c. It is 8% of my portfolio, It has been a great company for balancing my portfolio, for some reason when other shares have been down this one rises and keeps me in the green and vice versa. . Have you found the same ? Today, though it was 5% down I was still up 1.2% on my portfolio. I am not sure what you mean by "The difference this time is analysts are recommending it " Some analyst have always had it as a buy, any good one has, as the thesis has never really been broken just shaken a little. Confirmation of exceptional growth and rising revenue to the point it is rapidly becoming cash flow neutral is supporting the prices. Just like WTC It was a great report again and was anticipated, so prices got a little overbaked before the report. Companies like this I just sell down a few in spikes to pay back the LOC and have the shares and the growing revenue for free.. I have advised on here a few times that people buy this. Buying shares in growth stocks with equity from cash flow positive properties trumps money losing properties, for not only growing wealth, but also for accessing and using wealth, and building a property portfolio.

7. kum yin lau

Hi, like you, I sold and then bought, unlike my sister, who held from day one. I wanted to do what you do and LOC it but it didn't work out. I have performed best when my entire portfolio was in NEA. We were lucky to buy at the 5 cents average.

Long ago, in 2012, we were discussing this share when someone sold for 13 cents.

Another forum member told us he had a million shares.

I wonder what's happened to him?

KY

8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I was the silly bugger that sold out at around 13c. Left a lot of $ on the table with that one!

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well done Kum yin lau ,the person that bought those one million units still posts within this site,maybe under a different name going by the footprint of the writing style and understand the depth of wealth that exists elsewhere..

10. kum yin lau

Hi Chindonly, if only we knew for sure.

I was also silly enough to sell out, in fact 4 times in total.

I think the difference between holding and buying and selling is about half a million dollars. Sigh!!

When I post numbers on this forum, it's not to gloat or to brag, I own a lot of silly mistakes.

It is for discussion and for comparison and strategizing because somewhere, sometime, there'll be another opportunity.

I missed out on S32 and A2milk

Good luck,

Ky

chindonly likes this.
  11. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I have many multi baggers in my years, you got to have strategy to deal with them and cash in a long the way.

JIN has delivered me more than 30 baggers, I still owned them, I did cash out some along the way but I still have 50% left, If I cash out now I can paid off all my properties debt but

it still doing extremely well I may cash out a few % here and there to buy other stocks
    but still a good business, the dividend it paid now each year is equal to the price I initially paid for it less than 10 years ago 100% dividend every single year

SIQ another multi-baggers I am out because of regulatory risk with labor government but that
    a nice 5 baggers

BRG the other muti baggers still have 100% haven't sold out

I love stock market, it gave me so much gain and joy over the years with little head ache
    there are loser too but it doesn't bother me one bit as the winners covered the loser many times over.

12. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Never fear stock markets always full of multi baggers that keep on delivering and never stop
    missed out one this year another one will pop up, you just have to put in the time and the research.

it not like properties you missed boom and you missed most of the gain, stock market new business comes up every day and listed every year on the market

13. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It is not silly to get in and out It is prudent to take some profit along the way, and hedge your bets, and get all, or half your capital back but also maintain a position. It is silly not to sell when prices get silly I always considered A2m a hold or buy, which I advocated when Alex was saying sell at about $4,00. But for Bellamy I have been in and out of a few times and made a lot, bought for $2.00 sold for 14, got in at $4 out at 12 , in @ 8 or 9 a few times and out @ $12, still in probably for good, on $8 buy. Once you have got your capital back you can take lucrative risks. Also selling a little and taking some profits while you have a low tax bracket may be better than selling a lot latter which will put you in a high tax bracket,

chindonly likes this.
  14. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Correct even if 40% of your shares drop 50%, you only need 40% to double to blow your loses away If only 20% or even one company become 5-8 baggers,the loses can be insignificant especially after they are used to offset tax on the profit taking. The good ones can go up more every day, than the lose on a wipe out of a dud. The power of compounding growth is amazing I usually only take a 1% position on a risky one perhaps 3% or more on a more high conviction stock. Those can grow to over 10 or 15 % when I may trim. Sometimes the 1% position might drop 50 % so go down 5k couldnt care less because if some of the other ones go up even 1% I am still way ahead for the day or week.I could have 5k wipe out on one or two, but still make 20k on others. Have gained 40k some days, which which about covers all my loses ever made, in just one day.

15. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

it never silly to take profit on the way up, I always do, once it start delivering multi baggers I take my capital back plus 100% gain

then I re-evaluate the business and see if it can advance further, as it advance and becomes a bigger and bigger business it becomes a little harder to grow profit but not impossible so I just have to make a judgement when to cash out some more the process could takes a few years.

But I usually leave some free carry trade like 10% after I cash out 90% and if it all blow up eh whatever else it just more money to the pocket.

chindonly likes this.
  16. chindonly

How do you find these multi baggers? I only really stumbled on NEA as it was a tool that we used at work, and used to be free. When monitized, I realized it could be good.

Then when it jumped so quickly, and as I had never had such a quick increase, I jumped out and took the (good) profit. When it kept growing, I thought I was priced out and so stopped following it.

Have definitely learnt - take some out, but leave some in as well!

But how do I find the next one.....!

17. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I read a lot of financial paper, business sites and some of ideas I pick up from forum or sites that got nothing to do with share what so ever.

Breville I was on a coffee forum and lot of people love their top of the line expresso machines many years back and also on some American sites talking about their products.

I decided to take a look at the business and like what I see it made good products in Aus and NZ, good margin, its balance sheet is pristine and start expanding in US and from various sites American like their products so I think god damn their Journey in the US is just starting and if it can break the US market I am reasonable confident its shares price going to shoot north fast.

it made steady progress over the years in the US but the report came out a few weeks ago
    showed earning in the US start to pick up at a fast pace, and they predicting double digit grow for foreseeable future and the rest is history, I think the market reward it with 43% rise in a matter of weeks and its share price hasn't stop rising since.

JIN many years ago I see there is opportunity for pure internet play business so I scout and search and filters and JIN came up so I bought into it.

SIQ my work place use them and I thought they have a very efficient stream line services
    and when I saw them going IPO, I read through the prospectus and it look reasonably cheap so I applied maximum amount at IPO then I picked up some more when they start trading on the first day.

there are many others like CDA, picked them up for 80c I scan and filters all business new and old every so often on a certain criteria and it came back with a list, then I take a 10 minutes scan on its business
    then I discard the one I don't like, the one made to the list I look a little deeper, then I discard the next lot and the top few that made to the end are on my buying list and I decide at what price to buy, sometimes I get it other times I don't.

So there are no set steps I go to pick up these business, whatever comes through whatever channel, I do the vetting of their books and balance sheet and the background research once it ticked it is a buy

for every business I picked there are dozen that other people picked that I don't
    and have similar multibaggers.

the stock market possibility is endless, you never really missed out on anything, I can always find something to buy when I have the cash and when I don't like the price I just don't have to do anything I can just sit and through market cycle of fear and greed I always get the stuff I want at the right price.

PS: I owned Breville top of the line expresso machine as well, dividend I get from it each year I can buy their top of the line machine for life and still got some left over

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2019
    chindonly likes this.
  18. chindonly

Thanks for the reply and explanation of your process.
    So it looks like you are always searching and filtering businesses, and just buy them when they stack up and the fundamentals make sense.
    When I was in and out of NEA, there was no real trading history.
    But it seems your technique relies on some good performances, and then you jump in and still can do well.
    Is there any one measure you have seen as a reliable indicator?
    Earnings growth perhaps, protected by some form of competitive advantage?

19. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Return on equity, return on capital, type of business and margin, capital model
    then on to looking at their balance sheet like debt level, asset, free cash flow

some of the times there are sign frauds or spins embed in these reports but you get to picked up with experience with the language they used and questionable figures.

Sometimes they used tricked to inflated the return on equity figure and I can picked that up etc...

If I am uncertain and there is a possibility of spins of the numbers I stayed out, I don't gamble, the reason being there are hundred more good business I could look at why risk on this one.

I avoid a lot of bankrupted business over year by having that safeguards in place even thought it trades cheap after a 50-90% dropped I still stayed out like Slater and Gordon, Quintis, RCR Tomlinson etc..

chindonly likes this.
  20. kum yin lau

Hi PandS, thank you for your input. My luck with NEA started out in a very conservative fashion. I read about it in a newsletter, I think it's Morningstar. I had started my share portfolio with 50 grand and I was looking for a cheap share. I knew nothing about the company and I didn't research. I merely liked the price relative to its history. I paid 6.7 cents against the previous high of 15 cents.

It's the next part that's interesting. I saw that it was very illiquid and decided to sell the 100000 shares at 7 cents. That was a small profit.

Then 2 years later, out of the blue and out of curiosity, I looked at it again. It was 4 cents.

I think my mother born me with an ability to read charts. this was what enabled me to make good profits trading Forex in 2003

What I saw with NEA is the spread between buyer and seller quotes. For a 4 cent share, there's 0.5 cent spread. This is a 12.5% spread. In Forexspeak, we call that a 'pip'.

It was still a high risk but the absolute money amount was very small. When it started going up, I did something that I'd like to own bragging rights. I sold every single losing share and plonked it all on NEA, the gaining one. I still didn't know what the company really did.

I started researching it when it went about 12 cents!!

Chindonly, my story is about trading patterns. Whenever I see a straight line in a graph, I start getting very agitated.

So I look at the charts, and I look at the financials too and I look at the trading patterns. But I don't have the technical ability that some of you on this forum do.

One other thing that I really take note of is the performance rights. The option price gives you a very big indication of where the price lies.

I only have 2 shares, NEA and ROO

Thank you for your interest and good luck,

KY

chindonly likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.