NDIS/SDA Properties - Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by Cmelderis, 11th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

They do mention something about a related SIL in their blurb .....

Obviously some of the long term not-for-profits have pre-existing fully integrated models eg Cerebral Palsy . Have they been given time frames under which they have to break up / divest their divisions ?

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

They now it's coming. Some are being proactive. But some are ignoring or thinking they are too big.

3. RPI

$5m sale of Brisbane SDA property. Under contract with mainstream valuation coming in at contract price. Not quite finished but full. 4 unit complex. 8% cap rate on gross income. Also have a few more managed funds chasing similar properties at 7% net.

craigc likes this.
  4. PropertyInvestorAus

PropertyInvestorAus Member

Hi RPI

If it was your investment, what area would you be looking to invest into a SDA property?

Queensland seems to be where the majority are being built, however from what I can see Central Coast/Hunter NSW, parts of Melbourne and possibly ACT are getting some activity too now.

5. RPI

Wherever you want to. It's everywhere.

More old property spruikers selling Mexicans dodgy QLD property than in other states. Although our planning rules help.

We have clients building everywhere
    upload_2021-3-11_17-2-56.png

Here's my current QLD ones - we still have a lot of gaps to fill in.

Anil Kumar likes this.
  6. RPI

7. AmberLyee Fox

AmberLyee Fox New Member

My Reply:

I'm interested in exploring options/chatting further. Do you have a business email I can't connect with you on?

Cheers Amber

8. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

His phone number is in his post and he’s literally linked his own website which has further contact details….

See Change likes this.
  9. See Change

Every one has an email they can't connect on ... :cool:

Cliff

10. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

Any brokers out there funded any of these? I have read many different things including initial 70% funding by a second tier/reval via mainstream?

11. Old_surfer

Old_surfer Member

12. See Change

We looked at doing a joint venture between 3 SMSF's and it was feasible, but was for a block of units.

Cliff

Anil Kumar and Old_surfer like this.
  13. See Change

Re question 1
    Google gave me a list 510 pages long ...

re question 2
    I can’t see why you couldn’t but the issue would be how you’d organise it . Our accountant was suggesting a joint venture 3 for a block of four units , but it was pretty obvious before it started that one person needed convincing and I wasn’t interested in that set up . We also came to the conclusion we’d prefer two villas and keeping control of the land long term

I find it hard to imagine a group of seven people getting organised enough to have someone interested in dealing with them .most of the SDA providers seem to be pretty snowed under and if I was them I’d be wary of that set up

Syndicates / joint ventures are complicated. I could imagine a managed who puts together syndicates for sophisticated investors doing something like that but I haven’t heard of anything like that , but I haven't been looking .

we have a friend who does put syndicates together and I know he was approached to look at it , but he thought it was in the too hard basket and wasn’t interested . He was wary about government controls and the market being over supplied at some stage .

that is something I wonder about longer term but given the lack of quality of some properties I think at some stage we’ll hear stories of “ investors being dudded “ so that might put some off SDA .

we’ve put a lot of thought into where we’ve done ours , each for different reasons , to future proof them as much as possible .

Cliff

14. RPI

1. There is are register of all NDIS Providers.

Find a registered provider | NDIS

You have to be a registered SDA provider if you live in your own SDA property as a self-provider. So the numbers are a lot higher than in reality.

I'd love to be able recommend other SDA Providers to people. Whilst there are a few well intentioned ones (not the Real Estate/ Project Marketer types) I'm yet to know one that is compliant outside of some not for profits doing their own stuff. The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission are starting to give some "friendly reminders" to a large number of SDA providers about their obligations. Until recently I believed that many were just ignoring their non-compliance because it was too expensive, but have found out it's worse, they actually had no idea of some of the things they had to do (eg every contractor, sub-contractor, trade, service etc is a worker under the act - you need to induct them into your policies and procedures, have worker screening, be able to identify who the individual is, time they were there, mechanism to tell them how adjust service based on tenants etc).

2. It's same as any property investment. Normally my law firm could setup a structure for you but wouldn't if you went with the provider I'm involved with. @Terry_w would be my recommendation.

15. Joeisagun

Joeisagun Well-Known Member

Curiously, how do banks assess SDA income for future loans? What haircut is applied?

Anil Kumar likes this.
  16. Jacky Sun

Jacky Sun New Member

Will the syndicate/fund who is GST Registered be able to claim GST Credits on the new properties bought or construction costs to special purpose build NDIS properties?

17. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

My thoughts as well after a cursory glance.

Would be interesting to hear your findings on preparing the dual occs for NDIS tenancy, extra costs, resale options etc.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've seen information that land tax exemption is available for SDA in some states.
    Victoria:
    Land tax exemptions | State Revenue Office
    Under point 10:
    Queensland:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBMQBg&usg=AOvVaw1r6Js2t-EbjKg8K36qV1o5

I've seen an indication that it's available in South Australia, but not NSW or Western Australia. I haven't seen an indication for NT, Tasmania or ACT.

thatbum likes this.
  19. Moh.naz90

Moh.naz90 New Member

Hi Sasha
    hope you are well. I came across your post regarding SDA housing Investment, I am also from SA and currently in exactly the same situation and would love to find out how you ended up going with building NDIS accommodation.

20. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Any updates on NDIS properties.
    Those who have jumped on it from the beginning.
    Share your thoughts?