Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

NBN issues

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Robbo03, 24th Sep, 2015.

1. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a duplex in QLD that was reached practical completion earlier this year. Recently one of the tenants has found difficulty getting NBN installed and discussed with our PM. Our PM contacted our builders and they sent the email below (I have removed addresses), as well as a number of other quite blunt emails about their disappointment. Is there any way we can get this sorted without the $600? If not is it ok to ask the tenant to go halves? Is there another way to go about issues like this?

Thanks

Email:

'I can see where the confusion has been. Address withheld (another similar duplex) had the second connection installed by NBN due to being in the period prior to 1st March 2015. Our lot handed over 21.5.15.

Prior to the 1st March 2015 in an NBN estate, NBNCo would simply have installed the additional infrastructure at no cost to the owner, whereas now the owner will need to pay for a second connection point, from NBN, this is approximately $600.00, you can submit this online https://www2.nbnco.com.au/new_developments/terms_and_conditions

This is not a mandatory connection, there is an option of running via the wireless internet system that is available for phone and internet and most tenant may accept that solution.

If the client were in a simple Telstra estate they would need to pay $299.00 for the second connection, install a tv antenna and have the ADSL internet piggy back on the phone line. At least this way they will have TV, phone and internet at fibre to the home quality.

Last edited: 24th Sep, 2015
  2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Grey area with
    then
    Have you spoken to NBN to see if they ~accidentally missed your property? as in say, "just wondering when its happening?" make them believe they missed you.

If no go, you don't have to install it as
    However, if it were mine I hard-wire it, not only for this tenant but any following, + resale (if you ever do)
    Having the tenants pay half would be a bonus so I'd present that option first, judge their response, not worth getting them off-side for such a small amount.

Perthguy likes this.