NBN finally reveals HFC rollout areas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Simon Hampel, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

We just got FTTP connected last week - that's in Ballarat.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

FTTP? I hate you :p

Toon likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That was from the article which was quoted right at the top of the thread.

It's only now that you mention that I see there was something else quoted which gives more detail- and includes many other areas rather than just the capital city suburbs mentioned in that article- and in fact shows my area as being due in February next year.

Although the 400m mentioned earlier may be a problem, as my place is already 150m from the street.

4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, they stuck the box right on the front of our house & it looks 'puppy' awful :p

5. Simon Hampel

Is that FTTN then rather than FTTP?

Either way - I'd rather have the box in front of my house, pretty much guarantees you the highest speeds in the street.

6. Simon Hampel

Worst case scenario you don't get quite the maximum speed possible - hopefully the node is relatively close to you.

7. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

No, FTTP. There's a utility-type box on the front, which we thought would have been put around the side with the Telstra connection, power & gas :mad: Then there's another box inside the house.

Attached Files:

8. Simon Hampel

Ahh I see what you mean. Yes, that should have been put at the side of the house IMO!!

I'd be grumpy about that too - can you complain about it?

9. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

That was the photo I sent to NBN when I went off my face :p Their attitude is basically 'We can do anything we like'. The guys that came to do the inside part the next day commented on it too & they even rang & tried to get it moved for us, but there was some convoluted story about how the first guys couldn't find the other conduit so that was the only place they could put it. At least the inside guys didn't give us any problems putting it down the opposite end of the house exactly where we wanted it. Have to find a nice concealing plant now :confused:

10. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

thanks for sharing @Simon Hampel

Do you know how long construction takes? thanks

11. Exia101

Exia101 New Member

I have checked most of the suburbs in the Sydney Metro area, and pretty much the entire north shore, upper north shore is getting HFC.

So is the inner west, besides the areas that already have FTTP.

12. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

We've had HFC connected at our PPOR since 2008. Reliability is significantly better than ADSL and when it does go down it's always an area outage so you avoid the rubbish tech support phone calls asking you to play around with the modem. Even better since getting Foxtel over the cable as I can ring the TV support line with no queue and get begged for forgiveness instead of any lame questions at all :)

We had 100Mbps for a year or so after Optus screwed up our billing and gave it to us for free. High contention periods would bring it down to 25 - 30Mbps. Sounds bad but that still far exceeds anything ADSL can offer. Now we're on unlimited 30Mbps and we rarely notice contention and if we do it's picked up via monitoring at 2am rather than when we're actually actively using it. Mind you we do notice quite a lot of upstream contention where our already lame 1.6Mbps upstream drops to around 1Mbps.

Outages tend to come in batches where you'll have a week where it's a pain, then you'll go 2 years without a hit. Oh yeah, you get credited money (yep, $$$) when there's an area outage and you mention it to them. They used to give you the whole month for free if the outage was longer than 4 consecutive hours. Nowadays they prorate your monthly bill to credit you back for the actual downtime. Still, I never got anything back from ADSL outages and they used to drag on forever while the carrier and ISP onpassed blame to one another.

juzzy likes this.
  13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

And so you should. There are exactly zero real-world FTTN services active today (how long have the libs been in power now?) I will allegedly be able to place an order by the end of January, but what is not often mentioned is that unless everyone on your node has upgraded to NBN, you wont get full speed as it will interfere with other people ADSL, so it may be months or even years before that happens.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

14. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

We have FTTP and switched to it back in July. Good news is that we got upgraded to the 100/40 tier for the same price (the plan was only supposed to be 25/5). Bad news is it's with Optus, which means close to 100/40 during the day, but sometimes down as low as just a couple of megs down during evening peak (apparently thanks to Optus's poor infrastructure). Mostly works okay for our needs though.

One real hassle was installation of the inside fibre router. There were very limited places the installers would locate it, and would only connect it to the outside box by running conduit along the walls (ie. wouldn't route it through the walls - our place is double brick - or under the house). It's also quite large and needs a power point. Down the wall the outside box is on, there are two bedrooms (they didn't want to locate it in a bedroom due to the lights on it), a toilet, two bathrooms, and a second kitchen (wouldn't locate it near anywhere with water). How about on the internal wall? Needs to be an external wall, though they said they'd run conduit along the internal wall if we really wanted it there (since they wouldn't route under the floor). They then suggested the lounge room, which would have meant a white piece of conduit running down the middle of a red-brick wall in full view of the road. Ultimately, with nowhere decent to put it, we had it put in the second bedroom, but had to sign a disclaimer saying we were aware of the issue with the lights. That's a spare bedroom now anyway. They did a pretty rough job with the conduit as well, with no weather sealing of the end where it meets the outside box or where the fibre was squeezed behind a gate post.

The next issue was with Optus's VOIP and wifi router. The wifi on it doesn't work properly and we can't use it. Fortunately we already had another access point in the roof that works fine. Then they went and changed our phone number on us, despite promising we'd keep the same number. After I got that fixed, they tried to charge us a new number fee! Then the bills kept coming in at the full price, instead of the discounted price we'd purchased. I've had to call them half a dozen times or more to get things straightened out, but I think we're almost out of the woods now...

GP

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

This list is spot on. I work doing fibre optic hauling and have already been to many of the places either hauling or getting a rope in ready to haul.

As for those of you wanting FTTP, you can get it put in and pay. There is a specific section @ our work that does businesses. They said they've done a few people who wanted it for their home businesses too, even some guy in an apartment once. Sure it will cost a lot, but once it's in... Not sure about the plans and pricing though...

Perthguy likes this.
  16. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

Well. I am in one of the burb in North Pole and connected to FTTN ;).

17. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Q4 2016!!!! My net is currently so bad I feel like I just won lotto, but with a bit of a wait.

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

If that box is vandalized or gets damaged, then the house will have no internet ?

19. Simon Hampel

My current copper wires come in to a box at the front of my house (actually its at the side, but near the front and visible from the street if you look for it). Not that much different really.

But still not an ideal position to have it at the very front of the house like Toon's

Toon and Tekoz like this.
  20. GreatPig

GreatPig Well-Known Member

That's where ours is too, though the original Telstra cables came in underground to under the house just inside the manhole.

But in terms of vandalism, our electricity and gas meters are right there too, so they have a few to choose from.

GP

Toon likes this.