NBN finally reveals HFC rollout areas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Simon Hampel, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

NBN reveals HFC rollout areas - Telco/ISP - iTnews

You can see the current Three-year construction plan from the NBN website which now includes HFC areas.

So while I finally have confirmation that the Chatswood/Artarmon area is getting HFC ... construction is not due to start until H1-2008 :mad:

WattleIdo and Toon like this.
  2. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

I get really sad and really happy when they update the NBN map.

Sad we're not even on the list. Happy that maybe, just maybe a change will be made and we'll end up with FTTP.

Right now we're on ADSL1 that sometimes doesn't break 30kb/s download.

I hope with Labor saying they'll go back to FTTP that it'll push something good with the LNP!

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel really? You're saying that Artarmon got it 7 years ago and missed your place? ;)

I received notification that Ericsson need access for testing purposes for a proposed satellite dish in Macquarie Park. That rollout is 2018 as well.

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2015
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

What the heck is FTTN and HFC? Which one is better?? :confused:

5. Scott No Mates

FTTN = F@/#ed Telstra Telephone Network

inertia and EN710 like this.
  6. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

FTTN is fibre to the node. That's like having high speed running to a box somewhere in your neighbourhood and then your house connected to that box via copper. Much slower than fibre to the premises (FTTP).

HFC is hybrid fibre coaxial. It was used by the cable industry to deliver television (like Foxtel). NBN want to use the existing HFC to deliver higher speeds and install it in some areas to do the same.

As for which one is better... it's hard to say. No nodes have been built. Tests on the quality of copper were found to be very dodgy and conducted under unrealistic conditions.

In any case it goes FTTP -> everything else.

gman65, Jeah_ and EN710 like this.
  7. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

FTTN is Fibre to the Node technology (= slower= almost already out dated. It uses fibre optic cabling to the node and then uses copper from the node to the user)

HFC is hybrid fibre Coaxial - =quicker = new technology = Better quality cabling pretty much from your ISP to you.

EN710 likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Those wires hanging from the telephone poles are meaningless to me.

Why on earth would I swap my rock-solid 18Mbps Naked-ADSL2+/M link for a HFC link sold by a company I avoid dealing with at all costs which might get me 100Mbps at 3am and 1Mbps when I actually need to use it? :p

Contention ratios on the cable network in this area are abysmal - I work from home full time and I need reliable internet, not something susceptible to the kiddie leechers.

WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Actually, I think you'll find that HFC technology is from the early 90s (albeit recently upgraded with new protocols to make it faster and more energy efficient), while FTTN was developed in the mid-2000s as a way to re-use existing copper cabling and avoid the requirement to run fibre all the way to the premises.

10. Scott No Mates

Thanks @Jeah_ (but I prefer my acronym; ;) )

If you have fttn can you pay to upgrade to fttp? Ie from the node to your premises.

11. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Depends on the infrastructure already in place - most of the upcoming rollout won't have the capacity to allow you to upgrade.

12. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

So for someone that also has Naked ADSL2, is FTTN which is expected to commence in my suburb Nov-2015, is this something to get excited about or no real difference?

13. Simon Hampel

Depends on how close you are to the node (which you won't know until they build it).

If you are way out at the 400m+ mark, I wouldn't get too excited (speed drops off dramatically beyond this distance) ... but otherwise, you should get much better speeds than what you have now.

Nodes are designed to service 200 or so houses, so they will be installed so that most houses are well within the 400m boundary - in reality you are statistically more likely to be only 100-200m from your node, which should give you much better speeds than ADSL2+.

There is a Telstra phone pillar across the road from our house, so I was hoping that they would convert that to a node, meaning I'd be < 50m from my node - but I'm getting HFC instead (which will hopefully be better if they fix the contention ratios).

14. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

HFC has its roots in the earlier system, but the newer version is much better, and contention is greatly reduced. All of the equipment is going to be upgraded. The version being rolled out will have much higher upload speed, and download during busy periods. It will also be able to support beyond 100mbps in future with technologies that are available, when the need arises.

Would you rather copper from up to 100 years ago, or cable from the 90's to your last mile? I know which I would prefer.. and its what I'm getting :)

15. Simon Hampel

I prefer a high fibre diet :p

If I can't get fibre, I don't particularly care what technology I have, provided it is fast and reliable - no matter what I get, if it proves to be less reliable than what I have now (which is extremely reliable), I'll be very angry.

I was hanging out for gigabit fibre - that would completely revolutionise the way I operate my business ... but it looks like we're a long way away from getting those kinds of speeds.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're right. Should have maybe said new-er upgrade to be quicker technology. As @MGF had said, anything other than FTTP is ...

17. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, NBN is being rolled out around the suburb that I live in. And I mean everyone around my suburb will have it but no one in my will.

18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

First time I have been on any kind of rollout plan.
    FTTN Q1-2017

Seems like a long way away.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So the major cities get everything as far as I can tell.

Large urban centres and country areas get nothing.

And of course, there's Canberra which voted the wrong way.

20. Simon Hampel

Meh - Canberra already has the TransACT network which has been sold to the NBN ... so many areas of Canberra are getting full FTTP.

Not sure where you get the "Large urban centres and country areas get nothing" from?

Places in SA I care about (because I visit there!):
    Murray Bridge is already in build for FTTN and Fixed-wireless
    Mount Barker is in build-preparation for FTTN and Fixed-wireless
    Clare is about to start FTTN build next year

I see a very large number of regional areas in the build list in the PDF file I linked to.