NBN connection to Granny flat any one with experience

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Illusivedreams, 21st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Im trying to connect the granny up with the NBN/phone.

The area is all NBN now
    nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)

But i hit a snag. Responce below.
    The issue is NBN co wants $800
    TPG than wants $500($300 of which is NBN connection fee)

But it seems from reading i ahve to lodge plans and other things to NBN co to get this done. ETA 6 months or more ...

After speaking to my PM she says NSW no longer require Owners to connect NBN/phone line it is the tenants reponcibility.
    She checked again and confirmed she said its recent change.

NBN had advised that your address 52A Marie St, LURNEA, 2170, NSW is currently not available for NBN service.
    The addition of your address on the NBN footprint will require you or the Developer to submit a Fibre Application
    via the NBN Co website.

The Pre-Qualification form is available online at New property developments | nbn - Australia's new broadband access network or
    search Register your new development on the NBN Co website.

You may also contact NBN (1800 687 626) to apply for a fibre application and contact us once this fibre installation
    has been completed so we can resubmit your application.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact details below.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I had to do this for a pair of GFs and basically had to pay for a pair of physical connections to the kerb. Cost just over $2k.

So it sounds about right.

Are you not so keen to pay for it?

Personally I wouldn't imagine trying to charge a tenant for something like this. And I'm sceptical that your PM is correct on the issue (although I haven't checked directly).

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

There use to be something that required a property to have a phone line connection - maybe that's what the PM is referring to - perhaps that's no longer a legal requirement?

That said, in this day and age, internet has gone from a nice to a have to a necessity. A property without an internet connect would be a pretty big deal breaker in my opinion.

I would be definitely be looking at ways to get the internet connected.... maybe when you call up get two different providers to connect it? Give them the details as Lot1 DPXXXX and Lot2 DPXXXX and completely deny its a granny flat. As long as the infrastructure is there, they can proceed, don't let them use the "rules" of only one connection per physical address is allowed. The moment you mention granny flat, they'll revert to a default response that's in their script.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

@neK did you post up a couple of videos of the different stages of your granny flat construction on youtube?

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

To my knowledge connection of a telecommunications cable does not come under state property law. It has always been Federally legislated.

Your PM can advise on basic property management but they would not be qualified on whether or not a communication line should be supplied.

To my knowledge a communication line is to be supplied by the owner of the premises, not the tenant. But, you should check with a lawyer to sure about the law.

Logically, why would the tenant pay for lines to be created given they are permanent?

The tenant pays for the service they use and that makes sense.

$300 is a small price to pay for a happy tenant.

6. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

This is pretty standard. NBN's responsibility is the the network boundary point of the main house of each lot and anything beyond that is the owner's responsibility.

If unable to fork out the cash for the second line you could run an ethernet cable from the main house to the granny flat and set up a second router, however it might be difficult the get the occupant's of the main house to agree to this...

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Yes. I was doing a time lapse video. That was a few years ago though, before sydney boomed like crazy. Why?

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Small world and yes it was good to see!

neK likes this.
  9. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Not sure yet.

But at $1300.in fees if you charge $10 per week its 130.week return.

At this stage i did t compromise on so many things. The GF is amazing but its getting a bit too much now

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's the same if you were a developer and had subdivided off a rear block. The NBN infrastructure only goes to the original lot. If you want it to go to the rear/new lot (or GF in this case) you need to pay a developer contribution amount. Pre NBN days you would pay for a similar service with Telstra for an additional infrastructure for the new lot/house/GF

Then there is the additional $300 first connection fee which I don't pay as that is up to the tenant if they actually want to use a fixed nbn service. I have heaps of tenants that use Vivid Wireless because they are around the same price and can take it from rental to rental without new set up fees.

Leslie likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.