NBN and Complex - Queensland

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Pumpkin, 14th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

G'day. Hoping to get some insight into the NBN matter.

We are aware of some Complexes being earmarked for switching to NBN, and the keyword most people used is "NBN will pay the cost and BC doesnt pay anything", but only upto the "Building".

Firstly, it seems a huge task to dig holes and tunnel to install NBN cable from MDF to Buildings. Whilst it's fine to say NBN will pay, but I am thinking of possible damage and inconvenience etc. Some might have to pass thru pools and gardens. Are the new wires concealed or exposed?

Secondly, the cost to bring into the building. In case the existing cables and modem is not compatabile, who is to bear the new cost? I would imagine the ISP and the Tenants wont like to pay so has to be Landlord?

Thirdly, NBN website mentions that a backup battery is required for landline. This means that we will lose our old-fashioned telephone which some senior people prefer. Again, who to bear the cost?

Had just started to talk to people from various capacity and it seems the feedback is very mixed and contradictory. Also different contractors have different approach. Further, RTA has not issued any guideline either.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go to nbnco.com.au for information on the type of installation and technology to be used. In many instances new cable will not be installed

When NBN approaches the body Corporate for site survey access have them submit a Land Access and Activity Notice (LAAN) to ensure that you protect your rights under Schedule 3 of the Telco Act.

3. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

yes, for the buildings they will use existing copper wires. No costs (except a new modem if not included). the speed won't be affected - I had 3MBs with ADSL2 and now have 88MBs with copper NBN.

4. Nattl3s

Nattl3s Well-Known Member

Oooh a chance to whinge about stupid NBN.
    I have NBN at home and at work. Live in a townhouse complex and work in a small shopping complex. They just install everything at no cost to you. Home and shop have backup battery, no cost. But what a pain in the rear end both times. Home installation took out my cable internet for 4 weeks x 2. They wired the NBN outside but it was another 8 months before our suburb was 'switched on' and it was during this outside wiring period that my cable was disrupted. My neighbors got a 'free' 20 meter trench dug right round their house.
    At work it took 18mths - telstra blaming nbn and nbn blaming telstra- because they didnt install the 'outside box' outside our shop and what a shonky third world job it is too. Plastic tubing and crappy 'c' clips everywhere to the exterior of the building. I give it a couple years and a few storms. My backup battery is already beeping at me to replace it at home. Havent actually looked into what to do yet. Dad works from home, told me NBN has been stuffing about in his front garden at least 20 times in the last few months and he lives in a cul de sac so I doubt its a communication hub point.
    NBN is just as fast as my old cable and just as expensive.
    Ahhh, i feel better now.

Pumpkin and Toon like this.