Nathan Birch "dumping" properties according to Macrobusiness

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by emza, 23rd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

ya going to get strung up by the reds on this site....

adam duckworth, MikeyBallarat and MTR like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The article you linked to directly and explicitly contradicts your point.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lol, did I mention RAMS low doc, very good product;):p

Perthguy likes this.
  4. sash

sash Well-Known Member

yep

MTR likes this.
  5. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

well this thread escalated quickly...

Brady likes this.
  6. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Nope.

7. Perthguy

Really? This is what you said, direct quote:

This is what the article says, direct quote:

"Under the policy, investors would only be able to claim a tax deduction against losses, or the cost of borrowing, to offset their investment income."

It's pretty clear from this statement that investors will be able to claim a deduction for borrowing costs against investment income whereas you claim "the borrowing costs were only allowed to be offset against the capital gain not against the income".

8. Skilled_Migrant

Complete paragraph in the article is
    "Under the policy, investors would only be able to claim a tax deduction against losses, or the cost of borrowing, to offset their investment income. The existing arrangement allows them to offset their losses against other sources of income, which acts as an incentive to borrow to invest in shares."

Spot the difference.

Over riding verbatim statement from the shadow assistant treasurer Andrew Leigh "Negatively geared shares purchased after 1 July 2017 will no longer be able to be used to reduce wage and salary income" He said losses could be used to reduce future capital gains tax and changes would not apply retrospectively.

Only definitive deductions are:
    • Wage/salary cannot be used for NG.
    • Losses can be offset against CGT.
    The shadow assistant treasurer did not rule the other (than wage) income in/out.

But a good straw man. We have stopped discussing the property NG and are busy splitting hair on pedantic issue which did not materialize in the last election.

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised!!!

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

I do. Do you? This is exactly as I stated.

11. Perthguy

It's a free kick for people who have investment income (e.g. dividends) and investment losses (i.e. from a rental property). They will continue to be able to effectively negatively gear and speculate on property as before. For them, nothing will change. Now, do you suppose it will be higher income earners or lower income earners in this category?

Angel and kierank like this.
  12. Perthguy

In any case, I have a problem with Labors policy as I stated before.

MikeyBallarat and kierank like this.
  13. Skilled_Migrant

So you have effectively overlooked (a) Other points regarding NG of property (b) the statement by the shadow assistant treasurer, which was the basis of the article

Now that we are nit picking straw man's hair style i.e. the proposed NG policy which did not materialize, how does the proposal compare with the current state of NG :
    • Is there a confinement of income losses to the investment or not which was not there earlier? Can losses from shares be offset against property and vice-versa?
    • Does it impose a virtual cap on the amount of loses or not by virtue of earnings and gains in that stream ? Assuming investor borrowed X amount for shares in a company which goes insolvent, can the losses (borrowings, cost of borrowing and equity) be offset against property or salary income or property CG ?
    • Does the proposal quarantine salary / wages from speculative investments or not ?
    The free kick is being reined in for speculation, unlike what you are saying. The rules confine the high earners as compared to now, that's why the squealing and obfuscation.

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You are NOT alone.

Sackie likes this.
  15. Perthguy

I wasn't trying to discuss the article or comments by the shadow assistant treasurer. I was trying to discuss Labors proposal and problems I have with it. Nice straw man though.

I have an opinion about Labors Negative Gearing policy and I am entitled to express my opinion without getting attacked.

Are you not concerned that, under Labors policy, investors will still be able to offset investment losses against other investment income?

16. Skilled_Migrant

Personal attack is something that happened to Emza today / yesterday-- textbook bullying not by 1 person but by a group of adults, but not a complain or a whisper from Emza...speaks volumes about the strength of character of the person.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Jun, 2017
    LibGS likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yeah, nah. Lots of posts by lots of people, including emza were deleted. There was plenty of personal attacks to go around. Your post isn't helping (and now most of it has been edited out).

All these posts which call "STRAW MAN" or "AD HOMINEM" (which all parties seem to enjoy yelling at each other) aren't exactly helpful.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Okay - let's get back on the topic of Nathan Birch please.

Brady likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So what is Nathan up to these days? I am not one of his disciples, but always curious, I mean the guy made a killing in real estate, it can not be ignored, clearly doing something right.

Last I read was he purchased land in outer burbs Syd and selling to clients??

20. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@MTR I am wondering if he sold that many properties (wouldn't the portfolio be smaller ) as tax would be payable hence reducing the gains made . not sure if they're bought in his single name or through trust etc