Narrow Lot - 7x15m for dwelling

Discussion in 'Development' started by Timwest, 12th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timwest

Timwest Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Doing DD on a place that qualifies as 'self assessable' for a duel occupancy in Moreton bay region - It has 25m primary frontage sitting on 600m2, it already has an existing 3x1x1. After reading the design code and factoring in setbacks, outdoor living space etc, I am left with 7x15m for the new dwelling. It can go to a height of 8.5m so would be happy for a double story design aiming to try get a 3x1x1 . Can anyone tell me if there are townhouse style designs that can work with those dimensions?

Cheers,
    Tim

2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

maybe one of these from Dixon Homes?

upload_2016-7-12_23-0-46.png

upload_2016-7-12_23-1-55.png

upload_2016-7-12_23-3-9.png

Dwalsh and House like this.
  3. Timwest

4. House

House Well-Known Member

Dwalsh, Timwest and EN710 like this.
  5. RetireRich101

doesn't include blinds, some flooring, top kitchen cabinets....

probably add another 15-20% to above pricing, for site cost, fencing, concrete, landscape, aircon, some other internal fixture/upgrades.

I believe $1100 per m2 complete turn key ( not including the QLD infra fee and titling fees). If slopy site that requires retaining walls, might need $1150-1200.

6. Timwest

Thank you - the site is fairly level and cleared so hopefully $1100 per m2 is pretty close. I might be wrong, but I got the impression from the town planner that I don't have to pay infra fees as its 'self assessable', once private inspector approves, I go to the titles office and get two separate titles and and pay a small fee?? Might call him back to double check this.

7. RetireRich101

Whether self assessable or impact, I don't think it makes any difference. You're effectively creating another dwellings. The only exception I am seeing is in Logan council they're not charging infra fee for annexed unit/granny flat that can't be seperate titled.
    My bet is you're up for 28k. Be interested to know if MBRC doesn't require, but get it in writing

8. Timwest

Yep, I most likely misinterpreted, I will call to confirm. I am also not sure how the title will work, will it be strata titled?? What are the costs of having it strata titled, will I need a strata manager etc?

9. RetireRich101

If self assessable, you might be qualify for risk smart. It just mean approval cost might be faster and cheaper. it will be strata/community strata titled, probably cost about 5k. If you opt to keep them and rent both, there is no immediate need to do titling, but will give you the advantage for valuation if you do titling. After u titled there is no requirement for strata management.

Is this a corner lot? Just guessing cos such a larger frontage

10. Timwest

Great information! Its not on a corner block its a rectangle and its long side runs along the road front. So very rough numbers would be looking around the 230-250k for the development. Similar places are selling right now for about 260k so not much profit in it at this stage.. It might be good to hold onto the property for several years, get some growth then build and hope that construction costs don't go up significantly in that time.

11. RetireRich101

I should clarify that I used a single level build to calculate $ per m2. Because your lot is small you're forced to go up. I think $1250 per m2 would be reasonable for a double storey.

So taking the cheapest build $170,000 + ~15% for site cost/landscape/concrete + infra fee/titling, yes about $230,000.

Then you would need to find comparable of your existing house on 300m2, and make that deduction accordingly.

You could alternatively find a plan that is single storey, possibly a 2 bed + study. I believe the 2 bed dwelling effectively reduce the infra fee by about $5k, and the build cost by $20-25k. I would think a 105m2 foot print might be challenging for single storey

12. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

7x15 is that internal or external?

while not architecturally appealing if you can get 7m width internal you could have a quiet practical design.
    3m size room on one side and a 4m room that doubles as a walkway or a 3m room +1m walkway on the other side.

Anything under that and your going to be doing more of a row of rooms.

If you want more ideas google all the big builders and check out their duplex designs and youll pretty much be able to fit most of their designs for the 1 unit.

Ive has a design made for me a while ago which from memory was 12.8m wide (externally) for a duplex

13. Nands

Nands Member

Hi there
    Are you trying to say that Logan council doesn't let you strata title the granny flat seperately?I'm about to have a discussion with Dixon homes today in relation to the feasibility of building a granny on our block of land in Logan