VIC Narre warren vs Fertree Gully

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Joeyng, 19th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Hi guys,

My husband and I are looking to purchase our first home in Melbourne. We got number 1 baby and soon next year baby number 2 :). Our budget is up to 700k. I have been done some research a few suburds such as: narre warren, ferntree gully, keysborough...Really want your thoughts on these suburds.

Thank you guys!!!

2. erorxxx

erorxxx Well-Known Member

I prefer Ferntree gully over Narre warren and keysborugh but again could you please provide more information on how many bed bath garage u need? land size? with 2 kids , I am assuming you want 4 beds 2 baths then to buy house with 700k budget in ferntree gully can be quite challenging espcially if you want big block (>700m2)

Errorxxx

Joeyng likes this.
  3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Ferntree fully would be first pref, however in city of Casey councils u could get a really big modern home for your money. Depends what your after.

Joeyng likes this.
  4. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I think Keysborough is in a good location but I would rather live in Ferntree Gully, I vote Narre Warren last. Having said that a friend is just about to list his house for sale in Narre Warren South about a minutes walk from what I think is called Casey Central shopping centre, his house is very spacious with 4 beds, 2 bath and a 2 car garage and expects it to sell in the high $600,000's.

Regards,

alicudi

Joeyng likes this.
  5. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Hi Errorxxx, i am looking for a 3 bedrooms or 4 with a land from 400m2. The bigger the better. Figure this it not our last house, just wanna get in the market early then sell after a couple of years and get another one. But yeah, 1000m2 seems too big for me in term of money and land size :)

6. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Hi Otie, so do you think FG is a good suburd? I dont mind live in a old house, cause I think I will make a lot of changes. Looking for a minimum of 400m2 land size. If smaller I rather buy a townhouse in burwood or closer to cbd :(

7. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Hi Alicudi, totally agree with you. Keysborough is a good one but the house there just increase like a lot in the last few years. The price of land and house package there is ridiculously high. I love FG cause it closes to nature, but some of my friends told me that at night, it is not safe to have a walk and a lot of bullies :( so I am having a second though. Hope you can help me shed some light.

8. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I am in no way the right person who should advise between Ferntree gully, Narre Warren or Keysborough as I am sure we have other more experienced people on these forums than myself in regards to these areas. But the nature type look of Ferntree Gully is nice, but if it is not a safe area at night that is a big big issue to consider.

Regards,

alicudi

Joeyng likes this.
  9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

All three suburbs I would say are completely safe at night, having said that I personally wouldn't walk alone at night anywhere just in case and because I'm a sook.
    Ferntree gully is a nice suburb, has good demographics and would have better schools etc. Narre warren now has a lot of poorer families, drug issues Etc. having said that I would still live in Narre. It's still nice but. I grew up in Narre and like it, but if I had a choice for my family it would be FTG. City of Casey now has a lot of homes jammed in amongst each other, and I think it may turn into a bit of a ghetto one day. I would feel safer in FTg than Narre at night in my home due to the home invasions etc.

10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

With 700k I think you would prefer a really nice townhouse in Berwick
    You would get a really nice townhouse on a 3-400m2 block for that budget
    It's even quite a nice budget for a nice house in Berwick

craigc likes this.
  11. erorxxx

so the end goal is to upgrade to better house/ suburb so capital growth is very important here and I recon Ferntree gully will do better compared to narre warren and keysbrough due to less house supply , proximity to train station, good schools , knox shopping mall upgrade and ripple effect from wantirna/ wantirna south.

Just look at below property within walking distance to station , 800m2 block not sure with zoning though so u better check that one first

https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...u/property-house-vic-ferntree+gully-125736302

Alternatively also check Boronia, upper ferntree fully and bayswater north

Again those above mentioned suburbs I think will do better in capital growth compared to NW and Keysbrough.

Erorxxx

12. werdna

werdna Well-Known Member

I've been living in Narre Sth for over 8 years now (parents' house) and quite like it. Big block, 5 min walk to Casey Central and close to freeway and train stations. You could get a nice, new existing home on decent block of land in Narre Sth or Berwick.

I'm familar with Keysborough too having worked in display homes there. House (and land) prices in this area have been going crazy for a few years now but I believe it's cooled a little bit. So within your budget you may be able to find an older established home on the "old Keysborough" side - so not in The Keys, Somerfield or Crystal Waters estates. I would imagine CG would be stronger in Keysborough in the long run given it's in close proximity to the beach, closer to the city etc.

Also highly recommend you push for a 4br given you have your sights set on resale in a few years time.

Joeyng likes this.
  13. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

@Otie : Hi, yeah I agree with you. I like the FG more than the rest. I am just interested in house only,so that is why I think that a bit tricky to buy a big house with that budget :( do you have any other suggestion for another suburd?

14. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

@erorxxx : i second your opinion. FG is indeed my favourite than the rest, only one thing that concern me is the safety around there, I ve been living in Hawthorn for 8 years, perfectly safe even at midnight. But that is just what my friend told me, I ll go with the FG now, yay!!!

15. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

@werdna : thank you for your valuable opinion. The reason that I ask about narre warren is because the Keys is not affordable for me :( maybe I am only look at new houses there, so the price is just super high. I am only worried about the traffic there. My husband work at Hawthorn suburd, so he may drive to get there. But I heard that the Monash freeway is super busy and maintain like a lot!!! And the train in Springvale is fixing like every 2 weeks!!! What do you think?

16. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yes the Monash is awful and it's only getting worse.
    If you are coming from Hawthorn Inwould probably consider a townhouse closer to the city.
    I think you will get a shock with our Monash traffic. We often talk about how much less we would spend if we lived closer to the city. Otherwise if you can handle the traffic go for it.
    See if you can find something in "The Chase" estate in Berwick. I think your budget will buy you something nice. It's really nice in there and close to freeway access. I wouldn't recommend Clyde though, way too much congestion and all of the homes are crammed in too close to each other- also high concentration of rentals

17. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Thank you @Otie , in hawthorn, 2 bedrooms apartment is listed for 550k plus, so i dont think I can afford a townhouse here, my friend bough a townhouse in burwood last year for 650k, it is super tiny, the land is only upto 150m2 i guess. Yes, monash freeway is too busy, and the train on this line get maintainence a lot, i dont know why =.=

18. erorxxx

outer east generally is pretty safe but again crime happens anywhere these days . me my self live in outer east for 3 years now and quite often I will take night train and bus no issue at all.

just a suggestion if you really want 4 bedroom swith 700k budget in outer east have a look at upper fern tree gully , upwey, tecoma and belgrave these suburbs has alots of nice period houses and try to buy something within walking distance to station , anyway good luck with house hunting.

19. ashaarrh

ashaarrh Well-Known Member

Perhaps look into Endeavour Hills if you haven't yet done so. Should tick all the boxes you mentioned and it's more "green" than Narre. Fairly generous block sizes and its a little closer to Hawthorn than Berwick which was mentioned above (even a little bit closer than Narre). It also has easy access to the Monash Freeway via Heatherton Rd

Joeyng likes this.