Nanny State Bull

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I just learnt the hard way that we actually live in a country where a 29 year old with id cant buy beer at a grog shop if his 27 year old wife with him doesnt have id...

I cant get my head around this.

Apparently its okay to buy beer if you have kids with you. You just have to say its not for the kids. But its not okay if you have your 27yo wife with you because you might supply her with a beer! We are so lucky we live in a country that regulates us so we dont have horrible things like that happening...

skater, See Change, MattA and 2 others like this.
  2. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Tim86 likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Bahaha love it!
    How old was the kid behind the counter!
    I got refused at a pub with my 6mth old! I walked off the tiles and put bub on the ground and asked if that made them happy!... I didn't order a drink I just went to the next bar (with bub)

Tim86 likes this.
  4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Of course that makes sense. I hear that parents are force feeding babies beer at pubs at epidemic proportions! I swear clubs and pubs these days are just so crowded because of all the babies being force fed alcohol by their parents. We NEED these laws so that parents know that its actually not healthy for babies to be force fed alcohol!

5. bob shovel

Exactly @Tim86! Looking back I should I just left him in the car with the other one! :p

Wall Street, Blacky and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

As long as there isnt any alcohol in the car i dont see a problem with that

7. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Depends what state you are in and what state you are in;)

Tim86 likes this.
  8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I was in a bottle shop about a year ago and the two Korean tourists in front of me were trying to buy a 6-pack of cider.

The male had all his ID there, the female was just tagging along so had left her wallet at the backpackers quite a few blocks away.

The lady serving wouldn't sell them the alcohol on the basis that they didn't BOTH have ID to show. Their English was very limited so it took a bit for them to understand what was going on.

I thought that was a bit harsh.... I looked for them when I left because I think I would have actually offered to go back in and buy it for them! They were both obviously (IMHO) over 18 - more like mid-20s. Or maybe I would have just explained why the lady had to follow the strict rules, and told them next time for the non-ID-carrying person to just wait out the front! :p

I do understand the rules, and why they're there etc etc.... but seriously, sometimes...

Tim86 likes this.
  9. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Last year I was in Melbourne with a group of friends. We had just ride from Sydney over the preceding 7 days - so we all probably looked a little weary.

We went up the town and when we were walking in a bar the bouncer picked me out and asked me how many drinks I have had through the night. I answered 'None' (which is true, I don't drink alcohol at all ). Bouncer instantly assessed me as highly intoxicated and kicked our whole group out.

My mates took it Ok as they are not a bad bunch - but no kudos to the bouncer who probably cost the establishment a considerable amount considering the cashed up nature of the guys he kicked out!

pinkboy

10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

But the rule doesnt even solve the problem. If an 18yo with id wants to buy beer for his 17yo mates and one shop sees his mates and says no. Then they will go 1 min up the road to the next bottleshop and the 18yo will know to just get his mates to wait outside while he buys for them.

It is a regulation that literally stops people doing the wrong thing for all of about 1 or 2 minutes.

Thats why i cant get my head around it. Its just stupid no matter how you slice it.

11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

27yo wife needs ID? How about in NSW, Liquorland now needs ID for anyone under the age of 40

[​IMG]

Tim86 likes this.
  12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Wow. Suddenly being asked for ID seems appealing! But not being asked could result in an evening of crying into my drink...

JamesGG likes this.
  13. bob shovel

Wow! That's why I've enjoyed being out of NSW!
    Back when I was 17 and made a fake id the first time trying it out the guy didn't even ask for id! Times have changed :(

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

My parents' dream come true.

15. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

first time attendant looked me up and down and said "You don't look 18" as he handed over booze/fags.

In other nanny news, nanny state scotland has legislated that every child be given a state 'guardian'. orwell anybody?

SNP ministers ridiculed over attempts to explain 'named person' policy

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

When it comes to alcohol, Australia is quite similar to Islamic countries. Tight controls on where you can buy and consume.

A Germán friend and his mates were fined $200 each while having a beer on a Perth beach ($800 total). How ridiculous. I apologised on my countrys behalf.

Tim86 likes this.
  17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of "age assessment 101" training this company puts their staff through, given from experience that, on average, they seem to be late teens to mid 20s.

It should be noted that, in fairness, I haven't had any "age assessment"-type training, and I have in the past found it hard to distinguish the real, estimated and/or alleged ages of numerous celebrities and business people that inhabit the tabloid magazines.

I find it unusual, in an eyebrow raising kind of way, that some admin numpty (and I use the term loosely) with too much time on their hands, would spend shareholders money in both printing and distributing such a sign that is only going to result in a major part of their customer demographic getting the *****.

Surely a more senior marketing type, on a much better 6 figure salary, has called them out for the gross double-speak they have used in "keeping our community safe" whilst at the same time attempting to ply said community with hard liquor with discounts for bulk purchases, a good example being their latest "Triple up and Save" promotions.

Surely there's somebody who can provide a less intelligence insulting experience than this?

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Isnt that just ridiculous. Cant even have a beer on the beach.

19. bob shovel

That is rubbish..... But.... I'll just get my devils advocate hat on :cool: ... Its the young dum Aussies that ruin it by getting blind, smashing bottles, making a mess,fighting etc etc and unfortunately the dum councils and Law makers decide to blanket ban everyonefrom a drink. It's the easy way

I like to think that amongst the dumness you can still have a drink or two if your a responsible looking person not in a large group type setting. Eg. I load the pram with 2 beers when going for a walk through restricted alcohol zones (badass!) and if I were to encounter the boys in blue I would like to think I'm not going to get shot :D

20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The few idiots spoil it for everyone - like everything in life which results in nanny state measures.... as was said in above post; a few out of control drunks have wrecked it.

Same with folks and their dogs on beaches off leads; not picking up their droppings, fights with other dogs, etc...our list of things in life that a few idiots spoil for the rest juuuuuust keeps on growin'.