Name for weekender , suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by See Change, 18th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The Yes votes will love it.
    The no's will hate it

2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Not necessarily .

Many of the no voters would think , Queen Elizabeth so tony and John may think that's the place for me ....and John does go on his holidays near by .

In the context of this thread , I was thinking of game of thrones and how many of the leading figures in the show are aspiring queens and then I thought of queensland(ing) ( as in the state ) which isn't a phrase I've actually heard before .

Cliff

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Problem with Turtle Cove or Dolphin Cove is that people might think they are real places and get confused when they can't find it on a map.
    Proximity to the water is a hook. As is a promise of a laid back experience.

Drift Away

driftaway@portstephens.

ellejay, Gockie and Marg4000 like this.
  4. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Runaway Cove @ North Arm Cove
    Holiday Bliss
    Hideaway

5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

The Cove at Port Stephens is the way to go I think. Many of those names are a little cliche. If it's classy keep it simple.

6. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I've got to ask @See Change why are you renting it out?! If it's truly a weekender won't you miss the luxury of being able to go up whenever it suits?

Re: names. I like Waterfront at The Cove or Sea Change- the pictures will do more justice and advertising than the name in the end....:)

7. See Change

We've had it for 5 years and had the flexibility of going up whenever we want but there are multiple benefits of renting it out . We can get some return on an investment which has gone up close to 80% in a market that is still moving strongly and hasn't reached the levels it reaches in it's previous peak ...

Reality is we want to do other things as well .

If we rent it out we will be able to go on other holidays , upgrade the property ( pool with an infinity edge will will get a higher rent etc ) , buy a boat etc and do other things at our PPOR .

Looking around at Stayz , similar properties are being advertised as renting from 6-700 / night or more and up to 7 k / week over the school holiday periods . Whether we can ask that sort of price when we start out we're not sure . I think when people launch a new property , they start a bit cheaper and once you get reviews and repeat customers you can increase the rent . Rent it out over Christmas holidays and 30 % of the Spring / Autumn period and a few winter escapes ( it has fireplaces ) and we're starting to talk about serious money .

We tend not to go during school holidays and with elderly parents with increasing health issues , we won't be taking the extended family up there over the next few years at Christmas etc . Our kids don't have kids at this stage , but once we move into that stage , we're more likely to want to spend time up there in school holidays . But that's not happening for a few years yet and by then Brisbane should have finally boomed ....

Another thing it will also do is improve our serviceability ..... not so much in terms of what we feel comfortable borrowing , but more in terms of what the banks will lend us under the new serviceability models .

Oh and Vicki owns it so taxed at a lower rate than if the income was in my name .

Cliff

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2017
    Jacque likes this.
  8. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Azure.

(Disclosure - also the name of the beachfront restaurant on Hayman Is.)

datto likes this.
  9. See Change

We've thought about names that are less common , but have decided not to go that way . We quite like Andiamo ( which is Italian for Let's go ) but it doesn't really relate to the property except when we leave to go there .

If I have to make a choice now , I'd probably go with " the cove " . It's simple and more unique than many of the others which are almost generic and clichee .

Cliff

10. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Book me in please, I'll need a couple of months :D

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Turtle Cove is taken. It's a gay resort between Cairns and Port Douglas.

12. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I think there is a Turtle Cove one in Hawaii, too. Or maybe it's Turtle Bay. Most of the names have probably been used - including the one I suggested. If they haven't been used for weekenders, they have been used as names on yachts which I think never quite works.

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The (location name) Hermitage.

Which implies serenity as well as a nice red wine.

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

My funny bone says CostaDaPlenty

Sea Change Cove
    The Quay

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You wouldn't have to give customers the quays

16. See Change

I really like the Dave Dobbyn song , and if we use it , I'd see if I can get it as the ring tone for the door ( though I'd probably be out voted )

Cliff

17. See Change

My funny bone says "'on the rocks " which has several meanings , but ...

Cliff

18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

PorpoiseSpit@PortStephens

PS@PS.
    There's a real symmetry about that!
    And Muriel would be pleased.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How about a PC Aboriginal place name?

Linky

20. See Change

I didn't know Property chat had an aboriginal name .... :eek:

@Simon Hampel , has there been a land claim on Property chat yet ? though there are aboriginal sites on the hill behind us , but no bushranger camps ..

There's one over all the water at port stephens . We had to get approval for our jetty of the local aboriginal land council .

Cliff

Scott No Mates likes this.