Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

NAB: base variable rate VERSUS tailored home loan

Discussion in 'Property Finance' started by r3ckless, 6th Oct, 2016.

Tags:
  1. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

I've been on the NAB website for the past 10 minutes, and looking to see if I have missed anything.
    Looking at taking out a small $500k P&I, owner occupied loan with NAB. The intent of this loan is to just pay it off early, with no penalties, minimise annual/ongoing fees, and obviously have the lowest interest rate possible as this is non-deductible debt.

Tailored choice home loan:
    - 85bps off the SVR
    - annual package fee of $395

BVR home loan:
    - 4.10% currently
    - $600 est fee

Both home loans are variable, offer redraw, no penalties etc.

Could someone please advise on any other differences between the two loan products?
    I'm also guessing I am not able to establish multiple offset/transaction accounts in addition to the redraw. This would be ideal, but not at the cost of paying for a package etc. I am not interested in a CC, insurance products etc as I have that with my main bank, solely utilising NAB as they are able to provide me this additional loan.

Cheers

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Finance broker and strategist Business Member

The Choice package has an offset account, the basic variable rate home loan doesn't.

Consider calling a broker. There's a lot better deals (including with the NAB) than what you've quoted.

3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

As Peter said there are loads up better options than using NAB. Heck if it's a set and forget home loan go to an online bank and get the. Heaps at dirtiest rate you can.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Australia Wide Business Member

5. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

The underlying reason to go with nab is because of their openness to lend!

I don't want to engage my broker again whom is actually a mate until I've got financials to proceed with the pre approval.

Colin! My lvr will be well within NLM, at around 55-60%. I'm not sure if you seen my other thread but I needed to find a lender that was open to assessing existing debt on IO rather than P&I which would have blown my servicing pity out of the water!

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

You should get sub 4% rates for $500k owner occ P&I via Nabs home plus product. Cheaper ongoing fee then their choice package too - only $10 per month

Cheers

Jamie

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if you dont need offset then Jamie's lender also offers slightly better serviceability and rate

ta
    rolf

8. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Finance Strategist Business Plus Member

Nah - Jamie would be referring to NAB's homeplus product, where you can get a carded rate of 3.99% variable with offset.

This is all dependent on needing to go with NAB in the first place, if borrowing capacity/structure doesn't require it there are more effective options out there. We've been pushing through a lot of 3.69-3.74% owner occupiers loans at the moment for non investors/investors not looking to expand into more property.