QLD My wife cried...

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by kitdoctor, 18th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

On the Tuesday after Easter we were having new tenants move into a post war home we own in Brisbane. So, on the Easter Saturday we visited to see what state the property was left in by the previous tenants who vacated after six months and to make sure it was ready for the new tenants.

The previous tenants had moved back to their own house across the road as it was essentially liveable, although their lift, renovate and extension wasn't 100% finished. As for our house, it had been freshly painted inside and out, new interior doors and hardware, new roller blinds, new lighting etc., so the previous tenants had moved into our freshly renovated property. Our PM had advised us she'd asked them to return to complete some cleaning which was supposed to occur on Easter Friday. Our PM did not mention any other problems or concerns she had with the tenant's exit.

Upon our arrival the previous tenant's car was still parked in our house's driveway, their Hill's hoist was stored down the side of the house and some fencing materials were in the front yard. Closer inspection revealed paint spilled on the concrete pathway to the cloths line, children's paint splashed on the timber fence, chalk scribbles on brick walls and pencil scribbles over exterior chamferboard walls. Whilst disappointed about this and that it had been left like this we saw these items as easily resolved.

It was inside where our hearts really sank. We counted in excess of thirty scratches, dents, scrapes, chips etc. to walls, skirting boards, doors and door frames. This didn't include scuff marks, scrapes on the exterior staircase railing/patio railing, marks on the exterior of the timber garage door etc.

The photos below show a door to one of the children's bedrooms. It looks like it's been forced. Someone has attempted to repair indentations on the front and rear faces. These became clearer once I had sanded some paint off (see photos where I have marked them with a border of masking tape).

On the Tuesday we spoke to our PM and she said yes the tenants had advised there had been an incident where their child became locked in the bedroom. I'll say locked but there is no lock, as the door simply has a passage lever set. Our PM couldn't provide much detail on the incident but it was clear she was supporting the tenant's who had said that given the circumstances they shouldn't have to rectify the damage or pay compensation. The incident was not reported when it happened. If it was the door's passage set that had malfunctioned, then this was not raised as a concern which would have allowed a tradesperson to inspect it.

Just to give you an idea, to replace the door will cost about $200. We have been quoted $450 to paint a new door. Both these quotes are from highly skilled tradesmen that did the original renovation. In total my wife and I spent three days cleaning and repairing what we could. It seems all the cleaning they were asked to do wasn't done.

Would anyone have any advice on dealing with the damaged door? We believe people need to be responsible for the consequences of their actions, even when they act say in the heat of the moment.

Chater1 - Bedroom door.jpg Chater4 - bedroom door - door handle dropped.jpg Chater3 - bedroom door- large split to door spine.jpg Chater2b - bedroom door - front panel defect exposed.jpg Chater5b - bedroom door - rear panel defect exposed.jpg

luckyone likes this.
  2. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Hey kitdoctor I love your work on the charts but I'm not sure if landlording is for you and your wife if you're getting emotional about some minor damage to a cheap hollow core door (minor from what I can see in the photos). Find a guy on airtasker or hipages to patch the door with bog and paint it. Those chalk marks and children's paint marks outside can be easily removed or painted over. I would ignore the guy quoting you $450 to paint a door, to me that's a rip off.

bmc, Gill Bates, New Town and 26 others like this.
  3. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Claim against the bond? Your PM should be helping you with this. Sounds like you need a new PM.

Bayls, MWI, Gill Bates and 12 others like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Seriously! That is a $30 hollow core door from Bunnings. With some damage. But not much. Put a bit of filler on it, bit of no more gaps in the crack along the edge and then just undercoat and paint it.

No way is it $450 to paint plus $200 to replace. Just a bit of a patch and a repaint.

Definitely get it out of the bond though.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2020
  5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Has the PM given back the full bond?

6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I agree.. inject liquid nails/super glue, clamp up and paint over..

Gill Bates, skater, Dan Wood and 3 others like this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Seems to be really minor issues and can fall under fair wear and tear.

Gladys, iloveqld, Ben Chifley and 5 others like this.
  8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dont take your wife with you next time. Probably better if you dont go yourself. Pm can handle bond claims.

you dont get highly skilled people to repair a door. Thats just a bunnings lever set. Your pm should have a good handyman. Really doubt you and your wife would be better than a cleaner and handyman here, except you get it to the level you want.

But a new tenant wont care about a few scratches. Rent it out for a few more years and then do a full paint.

maybe stick to interstate properties? Or just shares?

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2020
    bmc, Gill Bates, skater and 4 others like this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It's definitely not fair wear and tear, a 6 month lease? No chance, that door needs to be replaced and from the bond. It's not acceptable to damage someone's property. Yes it could be glued and plastered but why should it?

Here is one with a fist impact, the pm didn't even consider getting it plastered...I'm a little bit surprised by some of the responses.
    20200418_172412.jpg

craigc, Pingu1988, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Whether its fair wear and tear or not, its just a couple hundred in repairs, which isnt fun but will be nothing compared to the long term cg if its a good property.

Is it worth crying and obsessing over and spending a long weekend cleaning obsessively?

Ozgirl, Lizzie, Gladys and 2 others like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Read the title.... thought perhaps someone lost their job
    Every time a tenant vacates in US its a full renovation. Could be $3000+

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I’m confused, does the OP have 2 accounts?

mikey7, Empire, David_SYD and 6 others like this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My responses are based on being sensible and ‘walking the talk’ with sustainability and the life cycle cost of just throwing something away that is completely repairable!

Someone has to save the planet - and if you save money, all the better!

You do know that there’s no Planet B, don’t you?

Gockie likes this.
  14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Hugh are you kitdoctor, or is kitdoctor Hugh?

Lizzie, David_SYD and datto like this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

You have pretty fingers!

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

No, I was giving an example of how a competent and professional PM should respond based on my own personal experience of a tenant damaging a door. It could be patched up, glued or whatever but why should it.

David_SYD likes this.
  17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Haha, My PM does and she doesn't take take any rubbish.

skater likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

LOL I thought it was just me.

But that ain't fair wear n tear. That house would have been a wreck in two years. Looks like there were domestics going on. Some one has slammed into that door while someone on the inside was leaning against it.

Claim from bond or LL insurance and give the PM the flick ASAP.

Next.

craigc, Stoffo, Propertunity and 8 others like this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Op, if your wife is going to cry over a badly patched and cracked door, id hate to see what heppens to her like the above

this is 2 nicest photos from a property, after just 4 months of tenancy, they stopped paying rent after 1 month

Gladys, iloveqld, Marg4000 and 7 others like this.
  20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Come on, I can't take you seriously.

Gladys and MTR like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia