QLD My trip to moreton bay....booming

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Closet, 2nd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

I had a recent reccy up to moreton bay to see how it is traveling up there...boy was i surprised to see how things had changed. Deception bay is really gentrifying houses tidying up near the water front, house renos all over the place with the next cab off the rank being the moreton downs estate across the road. The deception bay shops has been bought up by a major international and has a large extension underway. The foreshore is being revamped up the northern end which will really change the feel. We were very impressed about where it is heading and the impact of future changes. North lakes is almost out if land so once done those areas bordering it like moreton downs will start to see some price movements when there is spillover.

Driving through lots of signs of growth drivers...Bray park is set for massive change too large $75m business park with bcf group going in and loads of other commercial buildings going up that will drive up employment.

Redcliffe is now one of the top 10 beaches to swim in when you head south near sutton beach...water is very clear and clean... lots of signs of gentrification everywhere margate, clontarf, Redcliffe dbay...very underrated areas

Great to see and with the uni underway lots more on the way...

PoBoy, Ronald86, Toon and 4 others like this.
  2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Where did you obtain that information?

IMHO, there are a lot of better beaches on the Gold and Sunshine coasts.

Sorry, I am not a big fan of Redcliffe beaches. Having said that, they are better to swim at than Brisbane mud flats :D.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Did you drive around Scarborough and Newport?

4. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

If you are happy to drive an hour + for a swim then sure...surf beaches abound north and south but from an investment perspective living in brissie and walking to a clean sandy swimable beach is a rarity...this type of uniqueness and scarcity drives up price and redcliffe continues to go from strength to strength because of it. Lots of people happily swimming while we were there.... definitely nicer than the mud flats ☺

5. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

didnt quite make it up that way but from all reports its doing well too

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Sutton Beach is 40 minutes drive from our place; Kirra is 60 minutes away.

IMHO, the extra 20 minutes is definitely worth it ;).

ChrisP73, Rich2011 and willair like this.
  7. Ronald86

Ronald86 Well-Known Member

Good to know thanks for all the information! Do you have any photos by any chance? And how is the uni construction going?

8. LVRG

LVRG Active Member

Would love to know more - particularly about Bray Park?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Search Bray Park on this forum

10. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Yes those areas have gentrified but I don't see them gentrifying disproportionately to other areas. Distance is still a big factor.

11. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

I would agree with everything said except Deception Bay. As somebody who visits/travels through the area regularly for work related reasons, I'm seeing minimal change in the area. I believe Deception Bay has great potential in 10-15+ years time, but for comparable waterfront property I'd still stick with the more affordable suburbs on the Redcliffe Peninsula.

Deception Bay is still predominantly low socioeconomic, with minimal economic or transport infrastructure existing or planned for the area.

Angel likes this.
  12. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Except for projects like north lake business park, caboolture marina, dbay shopping center upgrade, kallangur uni, dbay foreshore upgrade...nothing really ☺

Ronald86 likes this.
  13. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Also have lower cost of entry to the market in Deception Bay and quite good yields. I can comfortably hold and wait for capital growth.

Down the track I have significant potential to add value due to the zoning.

I expect that within 5-years the foreshore will start to look quite different. Interesting DAs already starting to go through.

14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Half the things you listed are in the surrounding suburbs, not Deception Bay itself. The Shopping centre upgrade is just an extension that will include a Jets fitness and a few other shops, and totally pales in comparison to Northlakes Westfield. I would suggest walking through the shopping centre, you'll need to pop a few antidepressants on the way out to recover.

The houses that are literally on the water in Deception Bay are fairly nice, but just one street back and you're walking through a demilitarised zone. I certainly wouldn't feel safe walking through some of those streets at night, and I'm a pretty big guy.

2017 Police data states that Deception Bay is the 3rd worst suburb in Brisbane for crime, after Inala and Forest Lake, see: The most dangerous suburbs in Brisbane

There are much better propositions in Moreton Bay with much greater short and long term CG potential.

15. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Thats the idea right...the infrastructure doesnt need to be next door...people buy to be close to surrounding facilities or close to new employment hubs☺. Very much depends where in db you are talkimg about...the southern end ajoining more expensive suburbs is no different to many other places..further north rougher yes... if you look at recent growth in the area db bay is floating up quietly at close to the same levels as those around it...at a much lower price point. But yeah there are nicer suburbs to live in if you want to pay for it...

JAW likes this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

But with its stigma, there is only so much positive spin for DBay.
    Seriousy, what is the demographic who wants to live there. Call the nicer end Rothwell. It still isn't North Lakes , not even Moreton Downs. Wombat is looking at DBay through southern eyes. It's not StKilda or Glenelg

JAW likes this.
  17. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

as someone who actually lives there (through choice.. hard to believe I'm sure) we have had zero issues. we live in a nice little area with lovely neighbors. it's not all bad. yes there is a stigma. we had so many more issues in kallangur but everyone on here seems to think that's a better area ?

Closet and Ronald86 like this.
  18. Ronald86

Ronald86 Well-Known Member

As someone who lives in DB, what are the so called 'rough' areas of the suburb and the nicer areas?

19. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

I would consider some of the area north of waroo rd as a little questionable. south of waroo and behind the maccas isnt bad. not a huge fan of the area near Bancroft tce. moreton downs estate is nice and if you pick and choose your streets down towards the water. some are nicer than others.

it's not everyones cup of tea but we are certainly not the trash people would associate with the area. just a middle income couple who wanted a decent size house and block of land without a huge mortgage so we can afford to send our kids to private school if we want and afford to travel.

just another perspective anyway.

craigc, Toon, Angel and 3 others like this.
  20. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Thanks for your local opinion- it is consistent with what most people say who do actually live in the area ☺