My thoughts on cheap Ozito tools

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by spludgey, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Second hand on gumtree is the place to go in my experience, assuming your wanting a petrol powered unit. Edgers last a lifetime if not abused and you can get good quality ones for a couple of hundred bucks.

Never giveup likes this.
  2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Shame about the grinder, I was thinking of getting myself one as I already have the Ozito batteries. I'm thinking the 125mm brushless unit (PXC 18V 125mm Brushless Angle Grinder – Skin Only) might not have this issue? Almost double the price though.

3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'm tempted too, but I might wait until they actually stop working, given that I still have a corded 230mm grinder as well.
    They're showing up as $100 on the website, but I'm sure I saw the brushless one at $90, to match the Aldi special, when I went there yesterday or the day before.
    Going forward, I don't think I'll buy any brushed tools any more, if there is a brushless alternative and it's only a price difference of $50 or so.

4. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

I usually only buy quality tools (Makita) but have had a rotary hammer drill and a 9” grinder from Ozito and they have had a flogging doing renovation and demo work around the properties and have held up well over the years.

The SDS hammer drill is almost dead just hanging on, the grinder packed it in after cutting out concrete pathways, was just under warranty and managed to get it upgraded to a makita unit with some $ gap, which was great

The Ozito airless sprayer (~$250 pump with the 7m hose not the little hand held units) has done a decent job and parts interchange with Wagner brand but now I tend to use my more efficient Wagner unit when spraying

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

For about 8+ years I had an ozito corded hammer drill which worked well and was cheap. Now I have a cordless Bosch blue 18v drill driver combo!

The Ozito was reasonably powerful - I had to watch my wrists when it hit a snag to avoid potential breakage (of my wrists not the drill) but I drilled through quite a few 50 year old Tassie oak rafters/studs with a 20mm spade bit (oh, the smoke!).

I have an Ozito electric stapler. This is my second one. The previous one had a jam and I pulled it apart to have a look when a tiny screw fell inside. Unfortunately, I overestimated my ability to put it back together again...

Anyway, I bought a new one (was hanging plaster that night and urgently needed to staple the plastic corners). However the new one is much lighter and more plasticy that the old one - which had a metal body.

The new one doesn’t drive the staples completely through the plastic into the plasterboard so I am thinking of returning it as I can’t see it being useful stapling sarking and string to 50 year old hardwood studs..

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
  6. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

As a DIYer I only buy ozito or bosch blue - with the decision based on how often i'll use it and how much pain in the butt it would be to replace. I hate having to stop a job to go to bunnings to swap a busted tool - time is short.

My corded ozito rotary hammer drill is a beast, it's way better than the makita one I've used and handles serious punishment. My ozito orbital sanders are ok but do die on big jobs. Ozito cordless polesaw and hedge trimmer combo us fantastic, I've cut big trees down with it. Ozito mulcher is great too. All in all I've had great experiences with the brand.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's not exactly true. It could be that they're broke.

When I met hubby he had just finished his apprenticeship. He had quality tools, but not a lot of them. We married, had babies & the 'recession we had to have' came along. I would put my foot down on expenditure for power tools because it was a choice between paying the mortgage and buying food, or buy a power tool. When he did get the green light to buy a tool, all he could buy was a cheapie.

In saying that though, he does have a hilti, which he bought when he was no longer working in the trade (we had more money then), and loves it.

We have a petrol chainsaw by Ozito. It's crap! The oil doesn't oil the chain. But we've got plenty other Ozito's that he's happy with. On the otherhand, daughter has a huge amount of Makita tools. She's even got a Makita radio.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I bought an Estwing cordless hammer over 20 years ago, doesn't miss a beat. :confused:

I will upgrade to a plaslode compressed air type gun one day. :D

col col likes this.
  9. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Ryobi ONE+ has been around for about 20 years, and all of the skins are compatible with all of the batteries (in the 18v range). This commitment to backwards compatibility with the batteries would be the main reason I went with Ryobi.

Cheers,
    Inertia

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

DeWalt started that here in Australia. The brilliant Tony DeAntonio & Mike Hosking (who later formed GMC) had hundreds made as give aways for tradie BBQ breakfasts at retailers. USA thought he was nuts. They all wanted one. So he added it to the kitbox as a promo and they sold like hotcakes and retailers couldnt get enough of them. At A BBQ we could give one of two away and thenall the rest would buy the tools within a week or two. They cost us $12 and people would buy a $450 kit just for the radio. Workboots by Dewalt was another promo that took off. They were give aways on redemption. Next thing retailers wanted them in stock. And safety glasses, tape measuers, knives etc.

11. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Anyone have advice for a decent blower/vac? I have a large gum tree out front that half fills my Green Bin on a fortnightly basis.

12. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I had an Ozito heat gun that only last 10-15 minutes before the it broke. A guy at Bunnings tried to tell me I had held it too close and burnt it out - can't remember the problem (fan or element) but it was the opposite of what he claimed it would be from holding too close. Was 10 minutes of him speaking down to me before I convinced him to switch it on.

Paid the extra $20 for a Ryobi which is still going strong.

Ozito has been a bit hit and miss in my experience.

13. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I have some Bosch Blue, my only complaint is the range is/was limited compared to some similar level alternate brands, although this might have changed since I looked.

14. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Pay more for the quality brands.

In saying that I have an Ozito blower and electric hammer drill that work fine.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If it does the job then it's fine. Probably as much snobbery about tools as with any other consumer item.

As for me I has a preference for Milwaukee. Sold most once I moved but kept the impact driver and hammer drill along with a generic multi tool and Dremel. Useful on occasions.

16. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

We bought the 400W Paint Spray Gun recently and used it to paint our fence. Having never used a spray gun before I found it quite easy to use and did the job.

My only complaint was that it holds such a small volume that it felt like I was refilling every five minutes.

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Having a Handyman business and woodworking as a hobby I've used my fair share of tools

AEG for everything battery powered as, at the time or purchase, had the best trade warranty so they get used for work. Corded, I own or have used, everything from festool, dewalt, makita, Bosch blue etc (and carbatec for workshop toys) and really, you get what you pay for. Apart from the festool, everything else is pretty comparable if you spend decent money on it.

Ozito and XU1 for disposable tools though I just can't seem to be able to kill the XU1 1/3 sheet sander.

Still have some old GMC stuff hanging around that won't die either.

18. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I have the AEG 58v line trimmer. First one died after 12 months. Took more than a month for warranty assessment. Wouldn't buy it again. Not cheap at almost $600 but I did get a free chainsaw which I sold on ebay and covered almost 50% of the cost .

19. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Never tried the 58v stuff, only have the 18v, including the 18v line trimmer.

Between my husband and I, we would have over 30 AEG power tools between us, probably closer to 50 if I actually counted them all and included the corded stuff. Over 5 years claimed warranty on 1 driver twice (brand new one given second time) and an angle grinder that is currently in for repair.

They get worked hard and not always treated the best but maybe we've just been lucky with the reliability.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia