My take on Corona - Permits, Delays and the next Step

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tufan Chakir, 28th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

The world has changed - it will never be the same
    Except that the planning design, approvals, DA processes won't change - they will remain a constant
    So a suggestion to my forum friends, investors and developers alike - keep going, get your ducks in a row, do it now, or soon

We all know that commencement of the development process is slow and tedious - approvals taking months, not weeks.

If you were about to commence an application, or design - I say continue. Here's why:

1. the approvals process won't change after this event
    2. the process is long, difficult and tedious - if the process takes 3 - 4 months, using this lockdown time is efficient
    3. the design and approvals process is the least expensive part of the development/investment
    4. continuing or starting will put cash into the economy, support small businesses
    5. Councils MAY be a little more helpful/supportive (at least some will), especially as this unfolds over the next short time
    6. Councils won't be a busy - and there's always a chance that the deadwood will start to disappear
    7. permits, DAs etc stay live for long after the approval is issued - so there's no need to start immediately
    8. don't be in the queue when things pick up again later - my guess is that there will be more and longer delays after we get back to "normal"
    9. for more complex/difficult proposals this time can be used constructively - if approvals take longer with more difficult projects - use this delay time now
    10. construction costs are likely to be lower when this finishes - yes there may be some supply issues, but contractors will be scrambling for work

This crisis will come to an end
    Think strategically, think constructively

Lauren350, Optimus, craigc and 9 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have had time to talk with a few in the commercial sector, they still have projects to deliver and hefty liquidated damages to boot. So it is full steam ahead for them (at this stage).

Where their businesses see exposed to residential, this has been impacted substantially.

On the pipeline (supply of sites) some vendors are becoming more flexible with settlement & deposits so there's a few opportunities to pay minimal deposits and progress with approvals prior to settlement.

3. alps

alps Well-Known Member

What's everyone's take on architectural fees during this period? Likely to increase or decrease?

4. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Generally agree with the OP however the Sydney councils seem to be in a bit of turmoil. No pre-lodge meetings, of course face to face went away early, but video conference is not available and now Hills council has told me no tele-conferences due to "technical difficulties". Many staff are "working from home", considering they did little when at the office I could imagine them being even less productive at home.
    I spoke to Ballina council last week and they are having many stay home and some staff who live in Queensland are uncertain how the cross boarder restrictions will play out.

This all being said I do agree with the OP however to get DAs prepared during this period and submit them. Most of the surveyors and consultants that you need are still working so it will help them stay in business also and when you finally get your DA you are ready to hit the ground running when social restrictions are lifted.

5. Tufan Chakir

Legitimate fees shouldn't change. Fees should be based on the service required, so if the service doesn't change....
    Some charge on a percentage basis - lower building costs will result in a lower fee

6. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Supply and demand will decide everything, just wait for a while and keep your cash in hand.

7. Tufan Chakir

That's exactly what the industry doesn't need. So save a few $100 - there's unlikely to be significant savings on legitimate fees - spend the money, if you have it - share it into the community, watch it go around

8. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Fully agreed but human society proves to be the opposite lol

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm currently back and forthing plans, via email, with my draftsman ... no face to facee meetings, but that's good cause we usually spend to much billed time on chit chat

Hope to have them into council by end of the month for builder to start in the last quarter

wylie and Tufan Chakir like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia