My Slacks Creek, Logan Granny Flat Build

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Blueskies, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Interior Pics:

IMG_20180804_150547 (2).jpg IMG_20180804_201904.jpg IMG_20180804_201813.jpg IMG_20180804_150600.jpg IMG_20180804_202015.jpg IMG_20180804_201952.jpg IMG_20180804_202140.jpg IMG_20180804_201919.jpg IMG_20180808_032619.jpg

Empire, ellejay and Dennis SUN like this.
  2. Blueskies

Exterior Pics:
    IMG_20180807_150628.jpg IMG_20180807_150720.jpg IMG_20180807_150811.jpg IMG_20180807_150756.jpg IMG_20180807_150824.jpg IMG_20180807_150855.jpg IMG_20180807_153436.jpg IMG_20180807_151039 (2).jpg

Empire, Archaon, ellejay and 4 others like this.
  3. Blueskies

Should point out on the exterior pics -still a bit of cleanup/gurneying to be done, laying a few small sections of turf this arvo and also driveway concrete and concrete ramp to be poured this weeekend.

4. KeithL

KeithL New Member

Looks really good! It is those sudden and extra costs that catches you out sometimes. It really does look like a separate house.

Blueskies likes this.
  5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Are you able to share the financials? I had a look through your posts, but couldn't see them (unless I missed them).

6. Blueskies

Approximate Cost breakdown:

Building (Turnkey – includes all fittings/fixtures/appliances plus site levelling/prep) - $143000

Electrical upgrades, second meter, phase upgrade - $3500

Concrete Driveway repair/extension after trench $3000

Dividing fence $2500

LMI/Loan fees: $2500

2nd Council water meter $1800

Landscaping (Gravel, retaining wall, pavers, topsoil, letterbox, shed, clothesline) $1500

Building Rebate - Temp power power not needed (use main house power) Minus $1200 – yay!

Empire, ellejay, Dennis SUN and 2 others like this.
  7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

@Blueskies really good outcome! Really looks like a house than a granny flat and good outcome that the new tenants are the front house tenant's friends. I'm hoping to commence my granny flat build journey in November/ early next year by including my partner into the servicing mix. For one of the property, the issues are the slope and the sewer needs to have concrete encasements which are going to add significant costs, but keen on the other property which the slope is flat and probably an easier build.

Blueskies likes this.
  8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

WOW What a great result!

Blueskies likes this.
  9. AhmadA

AhmadA New Member

Hey mate,

Great build, like you said looks more like a extra house then a granny flat. I have built a granny flat in my back yard which is currently rented but went with Superiorgrannyflats. From start to finish it was completed in under 8 weeks but end product not as great as yours. Mine is on stumps and has a rear deck instead of a concrete section. Also only 2 bed - 54sqm but still rented fairly quickly.

Can I ask for a link to their granny flat section as I was unable to locate anything they do under 90sqm.

Thanks

welshmin likes this.
  10. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

There isnt a specific granny flat section but they definately do have designs under 70m2

Also how was your experience with superior granny flat and what was the total cost?

They were on my shortlist when i built mine

11. Jun

Jun New Member

Hi Blueskies, long time lurker since somersoft days - loved reading your strategy on how you put a granny flat on with plans for subdivision in the future.

I'm wanting to buy a PPOR in LCC with the aim to (similarly like yours) put a granny flat in but ensuring that I can still subdivide that off in the future. Have a few questions - biggest one being how do you know the property you are buying will be approved for subdivision? do you just make sure it's on a big enough block with street access as the main criterias for purchasing? and then once you have bought it you get advice from a town planner?

Cheers - love what you have done, and any advise would be appreciated!

12. Blueskies

Thanks Jun.

Honestly, I didn't go into purchasing this property with future subdivision in mind. My search criteria when looking for the property was based on properties on large blocks configured well to allow GF construction. I was quite aware of the 1000m2 threshold for allowing a 100m2 GF to be built, so that was a regular thing I was looking for too, and in the back of my mind I was aware that LCC rules would potentially make blocks this size also suitable for subdivision.

Once I had a contract on this place I got advice from a town planner on requirements for subdivision. It was confirmed as possible but the numbers didn't really stack up. Interestingly the town planner advised that it would have been possible to subdivide then build a dual occupancy on the back block. 3 streams of rent would have been nice but I wasn't comfortable putting that much capital into the place, so I went with the 100m2 granny flat as originally planned, but left the door open to future subdivision by ensuring it was appropriately configured on the block and trying to keep all services as separate as possible and running down the rear house driveway.

It will be something I explore way down the track, probably when coming time do sell, buy for now I am happy enough just collecting the rent and only paying one set of rates!

13. Jun

Jun New Member

Thanks for the quick reply blueskies. Appreciate it.

Any chance you could let me know the town planner you used for logan city council? Just in case i find a property that fits what we need - i want to have my ducks lined up so i know who to contact :)

Cheers.

14. ROSE NGUYEN

ROSE NGUYEN New Member

hi Blueskies, your GF looks amazing :)
    just wondering how will the removable wall work? will the 2 rooms share one entry door?

15. Blueskies

Hi @ROSE NGUYEN the two bedrooms separated by the removeable wall are as per the floor plan at the start of this thread, IE they each have a separate door and windows.

I just had Dixon delete the dividing wall from the submitted plans to comply with council granny flat rules (max 2 beds). Realistically I could have put a proper wall in after the final certification was done, but that small difference means that technically it isn't a Granny flat anymore but a secondary dwelling, which according to LCC rules cant be separately leased to unrelated parties.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  16. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

What colour did you use on the walls?

17. welshmin

welshmin Member

Freaking awesome walk through!

So the front house was tenanted during the full build process? Did they ever complain about the smaller back yard and construction work being done? Was a discount to their rent required?

18. Blueskies

Yes front house was tennanted throughout, though I don't think that is guaranteed. They really could have said they weren't happy with that level of change and disruption and wanted to end their lease, but in the end they accepted a rent reduction, started at $365, drop to $330 during construction, back to $350 now.

ellejay and welshmin like this.
  19. Amarjeet Kumar

Amarjeet Kumar Member

Very helpful info for novices like me

20. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Bringing this to the top once again.

I've got a block in Slacks Creek as well that has a Highset home (<2.4m below) and am also considering this move in the backyard (where I have a 4 car garage).

From what I can see I've got a backyard that's 14m wide and 11m deep (this is right to the backyard fence and to the garage) (excluding a 4 car garage) - wondering if this was a sufficient footprint (including required setbacks etc) to build a 70sqm granny?