My setup plan

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Shawn, 18th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

Hi all,

So I've recently been considering diversifying my investments as I have $0 in Shares/ETFs (outside of my Superannuation fund investments) ; and I think some sort of holdings in this space is crucial in order to grow a strong portfolio through the years.

I currently have been using Acorns to round up a lot of loose change over the last year which has resulted in around $500 sitting in there.

I was looking to set up some sort of regular payment plan which would see 40-50% of my net income filtered into an ETF purchase with every fortnightly paycheck, however, I've decided that for the time being Acorns isn't too bad.

The reasons why I believe Acorns isn't so bad until I build up my portfolio :
    - No brokerage costs
    - No buy/sell spreads
    - 0.275% Admin fee + 0.342% Investment Fee in the Aggressive option.

Plan for me is to keep throwing money into the Acorns account until I reach circa $30K at which point I will make 3 large purchases into 3 separate ETFs and continue my structure there.

Total fees of 0.61% are relatively high right now, but I am coming off a small base.

Happy to hear anyone else's ideas about how I can setup my ETF portfolio.

Cheers,
    Shawn

2. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Wise person say: Poor person buys twice

Redwing and Perthguy like this.
  3. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Have a read on the beginners guide to LICs. :cool:

Gockie likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, why pay CGT when transferring from Accorn to direct ETFs holdings. Do it properly right from the start.

What many do is have a set amount of their pay check deposited into a dedicated online savings account. When you have a few grand in there buy / top up selected ETF. Repeat.

But before doing any of this consider what is the most flexible and tax effective strategy / structure for the long term.

Not liscenced to give advice.

Pier1, Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

May or may not interest @Shawn but I'll attached it here. An alternative for or compliment to ETFs.

Attached Files:

Chris Au, ellejay and Perthguy like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I meant to ask was my reply what you meant:confused:?

@Pier1 you're a very wise person. First we had the ultimate summation of a long term LIC buying plan (seems to be getting progressively shorter:D) and now this piece of wisdom. Is not your middle name Confucius:)?

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

Gockie, ellejay and pippen like this.
  7. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Yes