My Property Investment Journey - Week by Week

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Jose Eduardo Slompo, 29th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Jose Eduardo Slompo Well-Known Member

haha it depends on the instrument! :)

Are you a musician too? Happy to chat about it!

2. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Yep, maybe he got unlucky, or maybe he didn't do proper DD. Anyway, it got me a bit concerned, since one of the options I'm considering for my first property is regional (Orange). It would be dual occ, though, so things could be different.

Thanks for the link on borrowing power, I'll definitely go through it in detail. Have a great week mate.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I don't think I can label myself "musician" compared to you... "noisemaker" maybe?

My current weapons:
    Ancient Ibanez Axstar through Roland Cube 20x
    Acoustic s/string from Artist Guitars (w/pickup)
    Casio CTK-7000
    Ancient Yamaha PSR-<something> - old spare/emergency
    Korg EX-800 (module version of Poly-800)

Had to recently say goodbye to my ESQ-1 and Juno 106 - too many damaged bits

I want to go back to Yamaha from Casio. Huge features for the price but just crappy sounds. PSR-S series when I can justify a change :D

The Y-man

EN710, Sackie and Jose Eduardo Slompo like this.
  4. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Very interesting thread. I'm in the same boat as your friend. Bought two houses in regional areas. One that's had no growth/ gone backwards in the NT.... but as my plan is to keep them long term I'll keep them. I think I'll just keep chipping away putting more cash into the offsets and buy my next one in a city with more growth potential.

Jose Eduardo Slompo likes this.
  5. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Makes sense, that's what I would do if I was in your position as well.

6. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Cool stuff. Got anything on YouTube? Do you sing at all?

7. The Y-man

Just stuff for my church (no singing - I can't take responsibility if people have heart attack or something)

soundcloud.com/user848025997/d-659/s-4Mn27
    soundcloud.com/user848025997/412-d/s-eShus

The Y-man

Luke T and Jose Eduardo Slompo like this.
  8. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Interesting stuff, man, you are creative in your arrangements. Never thought of singing?

9. The Y-man

I have recorded myself singing many years ago - only do "live" at church now and in the shower :D
    Might dig out some old cassette tapes (my vintage - predates CD's!!)

The Y-man

ellejay and Jose Eduardo Slompo like this.
  10. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Week 7: 30/4/17 to 6/5/17

Another very interesting week.

- Heard back from the broker and had a very productive call with him - loving his service so far. He's actually a member of the PC forum, I'll disclose his identity if everything goes well.

- Spent quite a lot of time playing around with a cash flow spreadsheet for a cash flow positive property that I'm seriously considering buying. The numbers are awesome when it's I/O only (first 5 years), but when P&I kicks in on the 6th year, things go south a bit. It's not that bad, though: only about 5k negative per year, and there's also the fact that I'll be reducing debt (which, under the new APRA regulations, means a lot and must not be overlooked).

- Attended to my first auction ever. It was for a 2/1/1 unit very close to where I live, and I only went so that I could see how an auction was. Funnily enough, there were only 5 groups of people (plus me) and nobody made an offer. This is the unit: 10/40 Military Road Neutral Bay NSW 2089 - Apartment for Sale #125197318 - realestate.com.au and the initial price was 900k. It's a great property, in great condition, in a nice building and a perfect location.

- Apparently the Sydney correction has started. Too early to say with 100% confidence, but all signs lead to believe that's really the case. Can't wait to see what will happen in the next few months.

The main challenge for me this week will be to find a way to represent multiple properties in this spreadsheet. I'll be able to buy a new property roughly every 2 years (until my borrowing capacity is reached, obviously), therefore I need to be able to see what the numbers will look like when the 2nd and 3rd properties (at a minimum) are added to the portfolio.

jefn89, Colin Rice and S1mon like this.
  11. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Week 8: 7/5/17 to 13/5/17

Starting with the budged: from what I've read and understood so far, it didn't seem to have much impact on investors. My only consideration would be the power that APRA will now have to adopt different policies for different regions, which leads me to believe they'll tighten things up in Sydney and Melbourne, which in turn would possibly drive investors to other areas (Brisbane in particular).

Heard a very nice podcast from Property Couch about buyer's agents, link is here: http://www.thepropertycouch.com.au/ep-018-what-is-a-buyers-agent/

Also read a blog post from Michael Yardney about the difference between market value and intrisic value, which was an interesting read. His explanation for this difference was something along the lines of the following question: am I buying for a price that, if I had to construct again, I would spend more than what I'm spending on the construction component of the purchase?

Example: purchase for 800k, land is worth 600k and construction worth is 200k. If I had to rebuild and it would cost me 300k, which is more than the 200k I'm paying for the construction component of the purchase, than it's a good deal (i.e. below intrinsic value), because, over time, land value will appreciate and construction value will depreciate. On other hand, if I buy something below market value, but it sits on an area with no potential for growth, the amount I'm saving by buying below market value is nothing compared to how much I would make if I had bought in a location with good growth. Coming from him, you wouldn't expect anything different than "location, location, location", and that's pretty much the underlying message behind this.

Whether that's still the best strategy, I'm still undecided. Times are changing and cash flow is becoming more and more important.

Cya all next week.

mc.tram and MTR like this.
  12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Come on Slompo pal, get in there.

[​IMG]

Pentanol, Hodge, Invest_noob and 2 others like this.
  13. Jose Eduardo Slompo

hahahah good one... But that's just not how I operate. For me, it's all about planning and due diligence. I've taken too many emotional investment decisions in the past and paid a high enough price (lost a lot of money in Brazil). Now I wanna do the right thing: be analytical and leave my emotions aside. :)

baussie, Savy mum and Luke T like this.
  14. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Hi Slompo,
    Good on you for doing all the research -well done !
    A thought I had when just reading yr last 2 pages was you mentioned you lived near neautral bay yes?
    Have you considered living in a cheaper area(assuming you are paying high rent ) and pocketing the extra rent money saved to go towards your investing ?This can be a really good way to get ahead quicker and increase yr borrowing capacity

15. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Great point, @Luke T. Yeah, Neutral Bay is bloody expensive and a lot of money goes on rent every week. However, it's extremely convenient for both me and my wife, given I work in Wynyard (10 min max by bus) and she works 80 meters (that's right, 80 METERS) from where we live. We're willing to pay the price (literally!) for this convenience, so leaving Neutral Bay is not an option. Good thinking though! And thanks for following my journey :)

jefn89 likes this.
  16. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Week 9: 14/5/17 to 20/5/17

Not much time spent on studying properties this week. Had a recording session for my YouTube channel and spent most of my free time this week preparing for it. For those who don't know, my channel is www.youtube.com/eduardoslompo and there's a new video every Sunday, I won't mind if you subscribe! :)

Nonetheless, a few interesting learnings here and there:
    - When buying, consider the possibility of advertising the property for rental prior to settlement to expedite the process of finding a tenant.
    - Importance of buying in an owner-occupier region. OO's are emotional, they drive prices up.
    - Some learnings around some economic concepts: weak economy and low inflation keep interest rates low (why?). Weak dollar pushes interest rates up (why?). As you can see, there are two "why's" for which I'd love to know the answers, so if you know them please help me out! :)

Cya next week

Brooke Colledge likes this.
  17. The Y-man

Without getting too technical, governments use interest rates to try and stimulate the economy. One way to do this (often the only way) is to lower the interest rate, so it is cheaper for businesses to borrow money and and expand or start up. Screws up when you lower the interest rate to zero and business is still dead (eg Japan)

Interest Rate Parity

The Y-man

18. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

19. Jose Eduardo Slompo

20. Jose Eduardo Slompo

Week 10: 21/5/17 to 27/5/17

Learnings this week:
    - It’s worth enlisting a professional conveyancer to undertake a title search when buying a property. The title search will reveal any easements (shared access) or covenants (restrictions)
    - If possible, advertise the property for rental prior to settlement to expedite the process of finding a tenant
    - Read a post from Michael Yardney's blog about things to do once you have your first investment prop:
    - The first thing you need to do is use a good property manager.
    - Rental appraisals should be conducted annually to determine if the current price is still fair or could reasonably be increased.
    - The right improvements to a property can manufacture immediate equity, boosting your borrowing power or allowing you to build a greater cash buffer for security during possible downturns. Simple changes such as interior painting, new benchtops or cupboard facades, or sprucing up front and back yards can instantly raise the value of a property. Restorations and improvements also allow you to review and potentially increase the rent, immediately boosting your rental yields.
    - Mortgages should be evaluated regularly so you can be sure you’re taking advantage of fluctuating interest rates, deals from lenders, and changes to your circumstances, which may allow you to refinance your loans to a more competitive rate.
    - An experienced, property-savvy accountant won’t cost you the earth and they should be able to guide you through the process of claiming all legal deductions, while also keeping on top of each property’s depreciation schedule, which must be drawn up by a Quantity Surveyor.​

My strategy is starting to shift a bit more towards capital growth rather than cash flow. I'm starting to realise the importance of the fundamentals, which leads me to focus on something in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane, even if they have a CF-, rather than regional stuff with CF+. The only affordable city out of these three for me at the moment is Brisbane, so that's where I'll be focusing my research in the upcoming weeks.