My posts may not make sense, I should explain

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bob shovel, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

G'day PCers

Alright... well at the moment Im a stay at home dad and my posts are likely to contain spelling errors, possibly be short and occasionally disjointed. But sometimes I do get more than 5 minutes to have a good crack at making sense!

I usually get time of an evening to bust out something that makes sense but during the day its short bursts to write things down to post before I forget. The "get it to it later" thing doesnt happen to well because I'll forget something awesome that was ticking away in my head (well i think so anyway)!

Originally a westy but the last 5-6 years or so been working/travelling around NSW, Qld and now WA, apart from an 18 month stint in our IP to do a reno and have a baby (i'll be posting again at 2,3 and 4am trying to get Number 2 to sleep!). Previously I worked as an Engineer/Project Manager on wastewater plants and sewer mains (pipelines and rehab) for ~8 years. So if there are any sewer/water questions i'll likely be onto it like **** to a blanket! In between projects/jobs Ive been a dominos scooter boy, landscaper, council worker;) and brickies labourer to keep me busy while the mrs works (probably the best jobs ive had!).

After working around we have learnt to jump at good opportunities and not let them pass, a big thing in society is to sit back and take the easy route but its more fun packing your stuff making it up as you go! People think we're crazy and we probably are :D but **** we have packed some stuff in the last few years and have learnt so much about ourselves. We know now what and where we want to go (not exactly, but key bits are there), and its not just being "dreamers" wanting the beach house and a bunch of materialistic stuff, we'll get the work/life balance so many employers crap on about.

The IP story isnt anything super extravagant but we'll just say I've been studying for the last 10years;)
    Purchased at a peak and watched it do little for a long time wasn't very exciting but in the mean time I read heaps of mags and slowly worked out what it's all about. A few years ago got onto SS after "growing up" and started getting involved after feeling like I understood the jargon and could contribute something of value. Most recently Ive been hitting the mindset stuff pretty hard and it's really clicked for me, I just need time to read everything! So, the next purchases are on their way and we have a plan in motion. It's rough and ready to change at any moment but it will be fun!

Attached Files:

Holly, Jamie Moore, OC1 and 7 others like this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to say "thank you" to a man who understands and even acknowledges on a forum that being a stay at home parent doesn't mean sitting in front of the telly eating Tim Tams. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jamie Moore, Bran and bob shovel like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

G'day @bob shovel, your travels look pretty impressive, when are you getting to the top end?
    Do you keep an eye on house prices in the places you travel to?

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2015
  4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@bob shovel

impressive travel history!!

don't you get tired of living out of bag?

5. bob shovel

@wylie no worries, I'll happily tell people being at "work"is a hell of a lot easier! I'm missing so much PC time and re.com.au etc etc!! ... But in saying during my first stint with 1 x child at 18mth - 2 1/2yrs there was some room sneak some "free time" in with their day sleeps... And let's not forget the old take it easy during the day then when the other half gets home run around looking busy!;);)
    But with 2 it's all go for 12hrs then the wake ups during the night!! <6 hrs broken sleep seems to be enough.
    But we feel it's all worth it, we're even looking at home schooling. Society, politics and the economy is all geared towards 2 parents working, we dont want that. Plus have some doubts with the education system.... I could go on

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2015
  6. bob shovel

@Azazel top end is top of the list! We just need to get up there. We did get out to logreach, winton with the plan to cut across to Alice and up but being around 5 months pregnant wasn't ideal for dirt roads and camping!
    We do loo at prices to get a feel but mostly we suss out the infrastructure and"feel" of a town. So many small Towns have lots of potential but usually comes back to the "locals"fearing change and also not realising their potential.
    Ip wise we were in Gladstone 2009 and people were telling us big things were starting to happen but weren't in the position to buy. 2011 we were living 100ks out of glad and saw the huge change! But also learnt first hand the power of the boom! we left there again last year and would say prices are back to 2009! But the median may have increased but only due to the number of new houses built. The entry level 3 bedder 20 year old house is the same.

@Be Developer i guess we are used to it now and usually get a chance to set ourselves up with draws for a decent stint. Big thing is we now know how much "stuff" we have in storage waiting to be thrown out!

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Well done to spending time with the kids. It might not feel like it now but it will be one the best things you can do for them.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'm jealous! All round.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh boy, the bumpy dirt roads could've rushed things along a bit ;)

10. bob shovel

@Azazel haha yeah true, the little joker stayed in for 42 weeks so we should have gone for that drive sooner!

Azazel likes this.
  11. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Sounds great Bob! haha, all those times I looked at your profile pic and thought it was a boat. Only just realised its a fourby!

bob shovel likes this.
  12. bob shovel

haha thats the shot for the pool room when we get sorted one day! Its a mix of luck, stupidity, ignorance, planning, driving and somehow not drowning the bus