My portfolio. Does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Frank Manno, 22nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Yeah you are right. In most cases it is better to just invest in one lump sum usually when the market is a bit more stable..

But because of the current drop and we don't know if it's going to drop any lower, then this changes that rule a little I think. This uptrend in the market over the last 2 weeks could just be a bump up and then it could go back down again lower than before. Thats what happens in markets like this.

If you're investing for years to come it probably won't make much difference if you throw it all in or not but personally I wouldn't do it..

-Frank

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Well if you invest a lot now you’re probably doing better than everyone who have invested in past few years and are more likely to get outsized returns. The people who average in get the average market return. You’re coming in below and holding for less time, so you’re to best the market - hence one lump sum now is probably good.

3. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

I lumped summed in Oct 19 and I would love to be in the position to have lumped summed 3 weeks ago...or 2 weeks ago....or last week....:oops:

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

@Frank Manno

Hi Frank
    Wondering how its all panning out for you:)

5. Frank Manno

Hi @MTR ,

Here we go fast forward two years or so since the start of this thread as we finally approach the end of it..

I have become very comfortable with investing now.

Since the lockdown in March I have had no work which has given me a lot of time to educate myself. I've been doing a lot of reading, this is all I've been doing all day, every day. Plus doing a lot of other market research as well.

So, Im about 30% invested now, I was lucky enough to start buying around the bottom of the market.. I put 10% in towards the bottom and then a bit more at different intervals as the market started to rise, so far so good.

So I have 2 different strategies going on. My longer term passive strategy and then I have my active strategy buying individual companies and hold for medium to long term in an effort to outperform the market.

I have learnt to appreciate bit of active management so I plan to hold a concentrated portfolio. So far I have WES and REA which are both doing ok. I will buy into companies as opportunity arrises.. For the time being however I'm going to sit tight I don't like where the market is at.

I'm not dollar cost averaging into the passive side of the portfolio just yet as I am not comfortable with this right now in this current market climate.

If I was younger I would just DCA and forget about it but I'd rather just buy into the market at different intervals. I've done fine so far anyway. I will DCA across quite slowly when Im comfortable but the plan is to get to the stage where I'm just slowly DCAing into the passive side.

Also, everyone in this thread has been a godsend by the way, thank you all for your help and patience.

Looking back I can see how a lot of the questions I was asking came across as ridiculous and I can see how I drove a lot of you nuts lol, I appreciate you all putting up with me :)

-Frank

Perthguy, sharon, willair and 4 others like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thx for sharing

would you say financial planner/advice the way to go

Going to be some great opportunities in the future no doubt about this....2021

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2020
  7. Frank Manno

I would say so yes well for me anyway.

Alex put together a bulletproof portfolio for me at a time when I didn't have a clue what I was doing and now that I understand investing, stocks etc.. I can clearly see that he's done the right thing from the beginning so I'm not changing it. Very happy with this..

-Frank

I

Perthguy, sharon and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So when you say bullet proof what do you mean? Nothing is bullet proof

mtat likes this.
  9. Frank Manno

Sorry I was just being very pleased with the result hence said 'bulletproof'.

I can't fault it.

I feel I understand enough to fault a portfolio and I can't fault it not even a little bit.

-Frank

MTR likes this.
  10. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Market did rise 30% from its low a week after this post and 25% from when the post was made, EML trippled, APT 10 bagged since even after yet another down turn and same old tsnami warning again.

11. Frank Manno

Yes they have done well, impressive.

-Frank

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Actually, I don't agree with this at all. This is a property forum after all, so there are a lot of us with "ridiculous" questions that we might be afraid to ask in case they make us look stupid. I enjoyed reading the thread and got a lot out of it. I didn't find the questions ridiculous at all and they certainly got some very valuable information in response. Thumbs up from my point of view

Redwing, mtat, Labuku and 3 others like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia