My portfolio. Does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Frank Manno, 22nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's good to see ,and depending on what and what time your purchased the equities and numbers you would have seen how the market works by now..Now is a good time to have after-tax profits sitting in cash reserves and taking more aggressive risks with only a small portions of the entire portfolio..good luck..

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

How do you reinvest the dividends if you're living off them?

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Spend less than you earn.

4. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Rule numero uno

Should be taught from Grade 1 to 12 in school.
    But hey if they did where would all the profits for the dividends come from.
    Quite the conundrum.

Snowball, Chris Au, Observer and 3 others like this.
  5. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

You obviously need a lot of them and have big ticket items paid off (house/car) if living in Australia

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Yup that's how it works. Plus having no issues with insurance, tenants, land tax, PM's,maintenance, repairs, location. I think you get me drift.

Should also mention having a budget helps as well. With shares most of the income arrives in the September and March quarters following the respective reporting seasons. Should people also have an account-based pension or possibly a defined-benefit pension sure is icing on the cake but they're not essential.

Last edited: 26th Aug, 2018
  7. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Not that its a good thing for anyone, but I would think splitting assets and financial affairs in divorces etc would be easier with shares than selling properties also

Redwing likes this.
  8. Ben_j

Ben_j Well-Known Member

Hi @Frank Manno it would be great to get an update on this.

therealAusting, PJ1 and Redwing like this.
  9. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

No updates yet,

Sorry for the late reply I've been busy recently..

Actually we held off on investing because @Alex Straker suggested a few months back that we hold off for a bit and leave it until the market drops towards end of year.. Good prediction :)

We started to invest a bit now..

-Frank

Redwing, sharon and Perthguy like this.
  10. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Thanks Frank! We nailed it so far my brother I am excited for you ;)

For multiple reasons, I just want to quickly comment that I always request my clients not speak about specific portfolio construction or names of financial products on this forum as this is not fair to paying clients and mentioning a particular product can also be misconstrued as advice. You will notice I almost never mention a product on this forum unless asked and even then I am reluctant to do so.

The products are not what's important to achieve success in any case just a means to an end and there are plenty of them that will do the job. As a retail investor you can't access the wholesale products we use without going to an adviser in most cases so it would be pointless talking about them, plus it's dangerous to assume someone else's advice is right for you.

Some of my other clients have been chastised here for not revealing this information, I understand everyone wants to learn, however, please refrain from trying to 'push' to get free info out of my clients or anyone for that matter. We all voluntarily share some fairly sensitive and personal info here and we should appreciate and respect each others rights to privacy.

almostthere, Perthguy, Kassy and 3 others like this.
  11. truong

truong Well-Known Member

I’ve just come across this fascinating thread, late as usual:D. Here we have the whole PC community chipping in to help our hero Frank find the princess of his dreams, the portfolio that will make him happy for ever hereafter.:p We were all cheering him on, drowning him with good advice, worrying that he might stop before he had started and wondering which portfolio would win his heart!

Alas, the end of the tale was kind of an anti-climax as we found out our hero had indeed found his beloved, but who is she, no one knows, and will he find happiness, we won’t be sure for a long time yet…:(:D

Anyway thank you for all the contributions. I learned a lot and it was good to find confirmation for my own strategy. It’s just amazing that a property forum like this is turning into some compulsory reading for share investors!

oddshapes, sharon, pwnitat0r and 7 others like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

It got to the point I thought it had all the ingredients for a good soap opera production. Perhaps “Investing Days of Our Lives” as the Title.

I can’t even remember most of this thread now but do recall nearly fainting at one stage given the drama of it all:).

sharon, pwnitat0r, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  13. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Yeah it had it all: a vulnerable hero caught in a perilous situation, good-hearted people jumping in to help and causing pandemonium, high stakes, suspense, setbacks and crises, even lots of educational value… It would have been perfect if the expected climax had eventuated:D.

But on second thoughts, the mystery wasn’t resolved at the end so maybe the producer is preparing for a sequel?:p:D

sharon, pwnitat0r, Chris Au and 4 others like this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I detect a certain sentiment in the previous three posts. Not sure what that sentiment is but there is a definite feel of one.

15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Very perceptive providing you’ve consumed enough alcohol:confused:.

16. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

26 pages of thread and I dont get to find out Frank's final decision / asset allocation .. I've just been on an emotional rollercoaster ... I need a beer.... but glad it worked out.

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

“A beer”? I was nearly in need of joining AA even by the the half way mark.

What will Frank do next? Will it be another case of:

5E03F578-5DF4-467D-9C22-BF4E68479DE1.jpeg

We all await in eager anticipation to see if there’s a sequel to this riveting drama with suspected title “The Secret to Frank’s Success”. Don’t miss out, Pre-release tickets available soon:

38FA9FB9-AE20-42AB-B2F6-D33B10AA47FE.jpeg

bythebay, sharon, truong and 5 others like this.
  18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

@Alex Straker could @Frank Manno (or yourself) provide some general info on how near the original goal we landed ($85k a year without dipping into capital) or when we expect to get there.

Maybe general info on asset split, Aussie, international, cash etc without mentioning products (although this might be to specific).

Anyway glad you came up with a satisfactory plan

truong and Froxy like this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

One never knows,no good to discriminate on the basis on whether its history or has a bearing on the future ,and there no mileage in sticking your hand up to say one was right the other wrong..Frank may well have done the right thing at the time -because if he did invest in the equities he was intending too and in cash money terms then it would have been very disappointing as I have tracked those equities and the results were not bad enough to reduce dividend payment the capital value would have been through a hammering such is our fascination with doom and gloom..

upload_2018-11-4_12-40-56.jpeg

20. Pleep

Pleep Well-Known Member

This was an incredible thread! What a story! Took me 3 days to read all 500 posts! Thank you @Frank Manno for being so open with your journey.

Reading it all at once was like a good book. It was heartening to see how everyone rallied around someone new and inexperienced. It was great to see Frank’s knowledge sky rocket so quickly with such devotion to the solving his problem. Truly a smart guy!

All the characters were classics:
    @Nodrog driving things forward even when they looked set to stall, all that home brew is a social lubricant online as well! @The Falcon chiming in with the shortest posts of pearls of wisdom. I think is it @willair who writes like Yoda or a Buddhist monk. Plus a cast of thousands, @Redwing, @SatayKing prawn, @Snowball, @Hodor, @Pier1 we had it all and sorry the many others I’ve missed.

It looks like despite everybody’s best efforts to not provide advice, Frank has become well educated AND found an excellent advisor @Alex Straker.

I avoided reading this thread as the title always sounded pretty mundane “does my portfolio look good”. Then the other day I realised 450 odd posts, I just got a little curious what was going on over here. :eek:

Thanks everyone for sharing your best efforts with all of us.