My portfolio. Does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Frank Manno, 22nd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If the $A falls the VGS should benefit, right?

Don't forget to do the W8-BEN forms when all the paperwork comes through from the registries ...

Frank Manno likes this.
  2. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

There is a lot of discussion on hedged v unhedged throughout the threads. Just do a search.

Frank Manno likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

No W8-BEN forms required with VGS / VGAD as locally domiciled.

Ouga likes this.
  4. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post.. I like all the stocks you mentioned.. What yield do you think I would get from VAS+MLT and from VGS+PMC ?

5%- 6% for VAS+MLT and also 5%-6% for VGS+PMC roughly? Would probably be less for VGS+PMC though wouldn't it.

-Frank

5. Swuzz

Swuzz Well-Known Member

VAS & MLT are at about 4% nett
    VGS about 3%
    PMC 5.5%
    All above are 'trailing' yields

6. Frank Manno

Thanks Swuzz.. :)

Where did you get the info? So I can look up in future..

I tried looking at Morningstar but couldn't find anything..

-Frank

7. Swuzz

Swuzz Well-Known Member

The asx site is handy for quick reference
    eg Share Price & Information - ASX <- just change the code on the end of the URL to switch stocks

But if you look at VGS via asx site it has no dividend info in the summary

So I went direct Vanguard site for the product
    Investment Products
    and added up the last 4 quarterly distributions

Redwing, Perthguy and Frank Manno like this.
  8. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Thanks Frank for the update. Unfortunately I don't have a view on VGS or VGAD so hopefully others can help you out there.

Good on you for buying after doing so much research. I am still in the research stage and reading this and other threads has helped substantially.

Have a great weekend

Frank Manno likes this.
  9. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Absolute 50/50 bet these days.... with currency around long term average.

10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Opinion, not advice and amateur opinion at that.

Over the longer term currency is generally considered a wash. But it can go for or against you over long periods of time. Then again so can Shares so time frames for investment decisions for both are similar. Hedging messes with consistency and frequency of distributions and can result in higher tax on distributions.

I prefer unhedged (VGS) as I mostly invest outside of Australia for "insurance" not so much performance. That is if Australia goes to **** it's likely our currency will also. As our currency falls unhedged international assets held by investors increase in value helping to offset falls in the value of investor's Australian assets.

Others more informed on the subject can correct any of my assumptions / add more if they wish.

LeeM, sharon, Ouga and 1 other person like this.
  11. Frank Manno

So how do you work out the total dividend yield of a portfolio then?

Lets say

VAS 4%
    MLT 4%
    VGS 3%
    PMC 5.5%

If those are in a portfolio in equal amounts say $25k in each of those totalling $100k worth.. how would I work out the total yield ?

-Frank

12. Frank Manno

Yeah I'm just taking it slow really. Once I don't question myself on a stock then I know I'm happy to buy it.. Someone in this thread said that a while back, can't remember who it was.

You have a great weekend too..

-Frank

Ouga likes this.
  13. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Good on you, slow and steady wins the race.
    As you tip your toes, you’ll gain both experience and confidence allowing you to move forward with confidence.

Frank Manno likes this.
  14. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Total div recieved per year divided by total portfolio value

Frank Manno likes this.
  15. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Etfwatch.com.au is good to get info on LIC's and ETF's.

Cuffelinks is also good to see info regularly updates on LIC's

Frank Manno likes this.
  16. Frank Manno

Hey everyone,

Is there an easy way for me to know when its a good time to buy a stock? Is it just a case of looking at the share price history and making a decision if the stock is a good price or not?

I want to buy either PMC, VGS or VAS next week but how do I decide which one? As I said is it as simply as checking stock price?

I hear talk of buying LICs at a discount, premium etc.. There was a thread about NTA which confused me.. I might have to read it again.

I realise that I can DCA and by doing this it will even out the bumps.. But still I'd like to know the best way to know when to buy just for educational purposes even.

-Frank

17. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

@Frank Manno I suggest you keep reading my friend until you feel more comfortable with whatever decision you intend to make! Be it buy, sell, asset allocation etc etc!:)

Frank Manno likes this.
  18. Frank Manno

Always reading :)

I stumbled across consensus data. I'll use that as a guide only while I continue to invest small parcels over time.

-Frank

pippen likes this.
  19. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

If won't hurt and the world won't end if you just sit back for a while and sort out your plan and strategy! It's good to tip your feet into the market tho just be aware other ppl have different criteria for getting into and out of stocks!

Anne11 and Frank Manno like this.
  20. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

Hi Frank, please take my thoughts with a grain of salt as you have so much more life experience than I am. I don't think anyone can tell you when it's a good time to buy a stock. A person can only know with the benefit of hindsight.

From the little experience I have, I've learned that the share market is extremely volatile. I'm not able to guess where it goes. For example, I would have thought that a terrorist attack would signficiantly impact the share market. Who would have though that research has shown that a terrorist impact on average affects the share market for three days only.

I chose to invest my money in an index fund because I know that history shows that stocks go up. I don't have the expertise or crystal ball to pick the best performing stocks, and so I just go with the index fund. I understand that the fees are low compared to other options as I don't need to pay someone to guess the best performing shares (who can really do that?).

I invested a fair portion of my money in an index fund about two years ago when the asx200 was roughly 6000. It grew about 10% in the first two weeks (when the asx200 soared past 6000), but it's dropped ever since. It's recently come back to 5900. I've made a profit counting dividends and tax benefits - but the profit is only very slightly better than if I had left all the money in a high interest bank account.

I'm planning to sell all my index shares soon to purchase an IP. I'm finding it difficult psychologically to sell the shares when they are 5900. I'm hoping it can go back up a bit higher, but also know there's a real possibility of it going down (there's also a possibility of it going up - who knows?).

From my limited experience, I think index funds is a safe and wise long term investment choice. It's a long term decision as we tend not to want to crystalise our losses and only want to sell when we've made a profit. But there may be long period where you could be on a loss but you need to have the time and patience to ride through the losses.

LeeM, Frank Manno and Redwing like this.