My perfect tenants abandoned the property :(

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Xenia, 17th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You know what's funny Peter?
    I was telling my husband the story when I got home and one of my children blurted out "mum what if they murdered the tenants" lol

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

legislation says something along the lines of "a landlord cannot reasonably deny"....

That's why there was an immediate application to tribunal - this one is not clear. My feeling is that they will rule in favour of vacant possession. I will keep everyone here informed as this is an interesting (and unusual) case.

Perthguy and Guest like this.
  3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    It's weird that they did that. If they were having financial problems or something you'd think they would've just been upfront and said they were moving elsewhere. Were you giving them below market value rent? Unless they could make $50+ a week subletting I don't see why they'd bother going to that effort. What happens with their bond money?

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

It does sound scary. I would still report to the police, whether or not they carry out any action. What if they really did something to the tenants and started living there??

5. jim1964

jim1964 1941

They would have turned to dust in the 42 degrees we had here today.

Xenia likes this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

bond is still in the original tenant's name, so is the lease so legal action will be pursued against the original tenant.

Lease is at correct market rent and has been increased regularly.

The amount being paid to our trust account is the correct rent.

Whether they have an agreement with the original tenants to pay them more rent on the side, I have no idea. I don't think that is the case though as the original tenants are un-contactable (for now).

I think they needed to leave in a hurry for whatever reason and left the rent payments up to these new tenants.

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The flowers were gorgeous RR but I was not going to leave them there as the tenants that they were meant for were not there. I had another routine inspection right after (actually 12 today in that area), so I gave them to the next tenant I visited, the next house had a tenant who re-mulched the front garden and the house looked like something out of vogue magazine, she deserved them.

They would not have survived being left in the car anyway, they made it to the next house only due to air conditioner in car and a short 2 minute drive to the next property.

Rugrat and RetireRich101 like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The situation was a little creepy I have to admit however some things don't make sense. Why would they get rid of the furniture and beds and sleep on mattresses? Also how did they get tenant codes and trust account details to keep paying rent? That is not consistent with criminal activity.

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I think something happened too Beanie - we are still trying to get hold of them, there may be a logical explanation but we still need to take action in the mean time.

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The landlord was a bit shocked as we all were but believes that it will all be turned around, just a matter of time, and it will. We just have to handle it legally and correctly. We are not even sure what the correct procedure is here as this is a very unusual case and rent is paid on time. Rent arrears are much easier to handle because there is a set procedure to follow. We are going to wait for the tribunal hearing and take it from there.

If there is damage in the house then it will be claimed through insurance.

The landlord really has nothing to worry about because it will just be handled.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sometimes seemingly normal people suddenly do crazy things.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  12. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

It actually screams criminality to me. Seems like a group of people with no long term intention to stay there doing everything to stay under the radar.

In this current climate I'd be reporting to the police to at least investigate where they came from and what they're doing there. Not that hard to coerce the bank details out of the previous tenant.

You get rid of furniture if you need extra space to do things that you can't do in the normal ways you'd get space.

Rugrat, THX, 2FAST4U and 1 other person like this.
  13. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

Sounds like the twilight zone has descended on this property, Xenia....
    Consider this possibility. What if......the perfect tenants never existed? The perfect lawn...the perfect house......the perfectly clean sink with never any unwashed dishes.......
    all a figment of imagination when the reality all along has been 4 men living there on mattresses and dirty walls :eek:

Bran, Toon, jim1964 and 2 others like this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a set up. Clean house with everything done when you have an inspection. They are not expecting you to turn up with flower without notice.

But really, it can be just the tenant try to be extra clean when you arrive hence no dishes. Something must have gone really wrong. The change of event is very drastic.

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be as simple as someone no longer taking their meds, or job loss, depression, etc

Just because everything is wonderful one day, what if it goes to pot, people react to this, and everyone is effected

Xenia and 2FAST4U like this.
  16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The last problem I had with a tenant was completely out of the blue. A couple paid the rent for years, always had good inspections.

One day the PM gets a text, "Can't afford the rent anymore, moving out, keep the bond".

We were around that afternoon, the place was vacant but a few things had been left behind, generally worthles. Turns out the couple had split up. The guy stayed on, but eventually couldn't keep up. The house was flithy.

Not a big deal, we planned a makeover when the moved out anyway. A fortnight, painting, new carpet, a few repairs and $3k later it was back on the market. The biggest inconvinience was tracking him down to sign the bond waiver.

Xenia likes this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

This one is very easy, our situation is a bit out of the ordinary at the moment.

18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I am still laughing at this, my husband now thinks I'm crazy.

EN710 and Beanie Girl like this.
  19. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

But it was different people there MTR - I did not know those men.
    what did they do with my tenants? :confused:

Beanie Girl likes this.
  20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They all know the deal, that is why they changed locks & pretend not to know anything. Blacklist them all.