My odd Bunnings experience last night.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 31st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Thursday night is a great night to go to Bunnings - the shelves are full and there are often few customers and some of the better staff, though last night the staff were thin on the ground.
    And now that I have two daughters with their L plates I go to Bunnings at least weekly as a reason to go for a drive - even if I don't need anything in particular.
    Last night I thought as I wandered around that that the music seemed louder than usual. Then my 18 year old found me and I noticed she was eating popcorn. She said she thought she smelt it and followed her nose.
    She said, 'Dad you have to come and see this. It's pretty sad.'
    Right down the end of the huge Bunnings, in the building materials area, there was a bloke singing and playing the guitar - at a volume that perhaps overstated his proficiency. There was also a sausage sizzle, popcorn, pool table, table tennis and air hocky table, and a little petting zoo. The only people who were there were the missing Bunnings staff.
    There was a bloke who looked a bit more senior than the floor staff and I asked him what was happening and he said it was for Father's Day. I said, 'You know that's not till Sunday.' He said, 'Yeah, but that's sort of a family day so we're doing it early.'
    We stood there and surveyed the scene. I said, 'Might need a bit of a rethink next year.'
    Yep', he said.
    'Or beer', I suggested.

Attached Files:

Rugrat, Lil Skater, craigc and 5 others like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wondered why I could smell popcorn in Bunnings the other day.

I thought I was having a stroke!

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

It was probably a two stroke.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I had a very upsetting experience at Bunnings yesterday. As usual I head straight for a sausage sandwich first. Bloody top of the tomato sauce container must be come loose. Ended up with nearly the whole container of sauce on my sausage sandwich and hand:eek:. Was even more upset when they didn’t offer to give me another sandwich:mad:. Had to eat the bloody thing with more sauce than sausage:(.

Blacky, marty998 and Gestalt like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ahem *4 stroke* please.

I was joking about the popcorn smell. It's burnt toast you have to worry about

5. Strange Smells
    It is a fairly popular belief that smelling burnt toast is a warning sign of stroke. While not necessarily true, if you have frequent episodes of sensing intense, unexplained scents it may be a sign that something is awry in your brain. A stroke can affect any part of the brain – including the parts that correlate to sensory perception.

But a stroke is not the only explanation for phantom odors, and they may in fact be a symptom of an underlying medical condition like a tumor or lesion. Epilepsy is one possible cause of these confusing smells, and while you may not experience full body seizures or other obvious symptoms of the disorder it could still be a serious threat to your health.

7 Strange Symptoms You Shouldn’t Overlook

Lizzie likes this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Exciting times. How do you cope with the resultant stress?

7. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I went to my first Bunnings in August last year. What struck me after seeing the ads on during the League/Cricket is how dingy it is. Are they all really dingy? I guess that's why the prices are cheap (?) - low overheads.

It's just that they make them look so pristine in the ads. Does Woolies own Bunnings by any chance? Because Woolies are pretty dingy as well.

I'm a big fan of the Aussie hot dog (sausage sizzle thingy). Do Bunnings serve them with T-sauce and fried onion?

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What do you mean by ‘dingy’?

Too many tools and bags of cement? No spot lighting in the garden tools or timber area?

Phantom and bob shovel like this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Bunnings doesn't have low overheads. The ceilings are generally very high.

Sausage sizzles are generally run by outside charities. Bunnings gives them the space for free. Although recently Bunnings ran sausage sizzles across a number of states for drought relief.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No. Bunnings is part of the Wesfarmers group, who at this very moment are splitting off their Coles supermarkets into a separate company (again).

The Y-man

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wide asiles (full of stock waiting to go onto shelves), high bay lighting, hard finishes. What do you expect? Carpet (a pain with trolleys, doesn't wear well, difficult to clean up paint/chemical/liquid spills), mood lighting - a bit difficult with high ceilings, shelving & asiles, customer base doesn't need to be shown how 'pretty' a bag of cement can be nor is it an impulse buy, soft is not for this market.

Lizzie and Joynz like this.
  12. vudu

vudu Well-Known Member

I know a couple of girls that work at Bunnings. They always work Sundays and the odd shifts for the extra $.

13. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

The store mustnt have advertised the night well or dad's aren't into it over there. We always go to the pre mother's day night at our local Bunnings and it gets a good turnout.

14. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

Eating chocolate lol

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You do realise it's a hardware store, don't you?

MikeyBallarat and Joynz like this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Look, Mate. Firstly nobody disses Bunnings. It's as Australian as Anzac biscuits.
    And for Heaven's sake - where on the GC did you go? Some parts of the GC are plain normal, not all gold and sparkly.

17. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Every time I go there, customers assume I am staff. This keeps on happening to me in stores, and I'm quite happy to help people if I can. Maybe I radiate helpfulness? I asked someone why they assumed I was staff, and they said I looked "occupied", and "busy". I do treat shopping like a military operation most of the time.

JacM, Blacky, wylie and 2 others like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Three days later and I’m still traumatised:(. PTSD I think they call it.

19. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Nah, just have a cheap servo coffee (side note, Coles Servo coffee, very good for 80 cents, but I still prefer plunger coffee in pyjamas) and some chocolate and you'll be fine.:cool:

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

They ruined my sausage sandwich, it’ll take more than coffee to recover from the trauma.