My next reno - main bathroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

@robbie_p it depends on the drainage under the bath, its usually easier to try and match the plug and waste location on the old bath with the new bath. The drainage can usually be moved but may require the slab to be cut up to allow this.

2. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice

3. robbie_p

Just had a plasterer at my house now and he confirmed that the wall i wanted to remove (separating the bathroom from the toilet) is a load bearing wall and the beam has a strut attached to it. See attached

I am glad i found this out.. I have decided to keep things simple with this bathroom reno and simply replace what is already there... i could put additional beams into the ceiling etc, but i would rather use the cash elsewhere.

Attached Files:

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

With that hob where your taps at I assume that is going and the new bath you were looking at has the waste in centre. So something will need to be moved. If your house is on piers is not a huge job, just bust out the grout,if your doing demo it's your time so not a huge cost.
    I moved mine to get that big bath in and best use of the space

5. bob shovel

With that strut, you might be able to keep the strut where it is and wall spring and remove back from the, use the wall as a nib wall for where the toilet is and open up the rest.

I'll do a sketch...

6. bob shovel

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2015
  7. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about strutting the roof down to the nib wall you drew in blue? If so then it won't work as the strut will be going the wrong way and will not be providing any support. If anything the strut could go down to hallway wall, but then that angle might be to steep

8. Brian84

Looking in the pic of the struts it looks like the struts are being supported onto the hallway wall which would be ok.

9. bob shovel

@Brian84 I thought the struts are - far one on left wall of toilet and the close one in photo is the one on right wall of laundry.

Can't you just get a couple of 4x2 under the strut and top plate then remove the wall

10. bob shovel

11. Brian84

You could be right about the struts on those 2 walls. The pic that you have drawn won't work, I will show you how the purlins and struts work. The strut in the pic is not steep enough. image.jpg

12. robbie_p

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Call me boring, but in a way happy to keep things simple and avoid incurring additional building costs for by removing walls and adding additional support in the roof.

That said, i am still able to increase the size of the bath and shower by 20-25% in size for the kids bathroom.

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2015
    Brian84 likes this.
  13. bob shovel

Boring :p

14. PeterDoyle

PeterDoyle New Member

Hello,
    I seems you have a good experience in renovation. As if you renovate your home yearly. That's good.
    Its a great idea to renovating your bathroom into luxury, stylish and colorful. As you have already planned everything, I just like to say that please very careful on choosing the titles and the final color. Make arrangement so that our bathroom's space increase and you can utilize properly. You have build idea. Keep it up.
    Thanks.

15. robbie_p

Hi guys,

Going to be starting this reno (bathroom and laundry) in the next 2-3 weeks.

Got quote back from tiler ($4400), so I'm using the same tiler who did my ensuite.

Might have a few questions arising in the next week or so.

Cheers,
    Robbie

16. robbie_p

Quick one..

With regards to our laundry / toilet, we not going to be doing floor to ceiling tiling, but rather a tiled trimming.

Can I use wall tiles (600 x 300) for this or should i purchase other / more suited tiles for the trimming?

17. robbie_p

Spoke to tiler.. will use the 600 x 300 walls tiles for the trimming / skirting

18. robbie_p

Hi guys,

Had quite a bit on the go towards the end of last year, but the bathroom renovation is complete and looks much better.

Only thing left for me to do is replace door / frame.

Will post some pics tonight.

Cheers,
    Robbie

bob shovel likes this.
  19. robbie_p

Here are some pics of the bathroom..

Attached Files: