Health & Family My low carb weight loss journal (LCHF)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I nornally only have 1 meal a day these days. Sometimes it's the only food I eat and other times I have a late morning snack and I'm rarely hungry or lacking energy.

All I ate yesterday were some prawns, feta and watermelon as that was leftover dinner from the night before. Today I had 1/4 punnet or blueberries and double cream for breakfast then went on a 15k hike and had scrambled eggs and camembert for dinner and feel great.

Whitecat, Sackie, paulF and 3 others like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How goes the diet Simon:?

3. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Well I'm back on the LCHF bandwagon. I didn't do well on it last year at all when I tried as I think I didn't lower my carbs enough. I'm now sticking to less than 20g of carbs per day and am surprised at how much easier it is to adhere to than a MCMF plan I tried last year. I've only been on it since Saturday and I've already dropped 2.5kgs. I've also skipped breakfast the past two days as I haven't been hungry in the morning. I'm truly amazed! This actually feels like a plan I could stick to easily forever.

My big worry now is going out with friends this weekend. I'm going to a food truck festival on Friday night with a few friends, then out to lunch on Saturday with another friend. In the past, we've always explored good hamburger places around Brissie. Going to be a bit tough to do that now! might have to get one wrapped in lettuce I guess :)

Redwing likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

What I do sometimes is get a burger, or a steak sandwich without bread or sauce. They look at you kind of funny, but I often get a larger serving than someone buying the proper burger. I usually have one of these every Wednesday lunch.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. luckyone

That's a good idea! I'll have to do that. Not sure how I'll like a burger without sauce though lol

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

But it's not a burger. Tell yourself it's a meat pattie & salad.

7. luckyone

That's a good idea - I need to change the psychology of it.

skater likes this.
  8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Hey @skater a steak sandwich without the bread and sauce is called just a "steak".

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Or if you don't have the meat either, it's a missed steak.

datto, luckyone, Propertunity and 2 others like this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hehe, yep, but if you go to a takeaway & ask for a steak, they will tell you that they can't do that. My favourite one will do a massive container with lettuce, tomato, beetroot, onion, 2 pieces of steak, 2 pieces of bacon, cheese & egg for $7.50. It's quick & easy & I can sit there with Hubby while he eats whatever carb laden crap he wants.

luckyone and Redwing like this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Personally, I find the hamburger in lettuce option very tasty. Just be aware that it can be messy, so make sure you are sitting down and have serviettes on hand :D

Redwing and luckyone like this.
  12. luckyone

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a go!

Perthguy likes this.
  13. luckyone

I'm very happy with myself. I went to the food truck festival and managed to be pretty good by just having chicken wings. The only reason I say pretty good is because they were marinated in bourbon so I don't really know if that contains carbs. Geez they were delicious though! I had a can of coke no sugar with them, which isn't too bad. I don't really want to have sugar substitutes at all, but as a one-off I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

14. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Kellogs and Co have been lying about breakfast and eating more consistently to increase metabolism. It has only been in the recent past that humans have had an abundance of available food, most of which is now rubbish for your body. For most of human evolution we ate when we were hungry and went through phases without food, e.g. food not available. Our bodies can't evolve that quickly, which is why a similar food intake regime will be best.

Carbs cause an insulin response. We eat carbohydrates (sugars) and that triggers us to want more. Try eating one chip when you are hungry. Now try the same experiment but don't eat the first chip. You don't feel hungry until you start eating (or you have fasted for a long time, but that is a different type of hunger).

The other problem is that wheat is actually bad for our bodies. We haven't adapted properly to it - see gluten free diets. In all honesty, you probably don't need to eat it at all. I can hear you saying what about bread, pasta and all the other good stuff - you don't need it in your diet.

Look at society today, we're fat and there are increasing problems with diabetes and other illnesses, which I am certain are a result of diet, and to a much lesser extent, exercise.

Caveman would not go for runs or bike rides. However, they might walk a long way to find some food or sprint to chase down an animal etc.

The best thing is to do your own research, apply it to your own life and use what actually works.

Some keywords to start: fasting, ketosis, autophagy, wheat belly.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Stay at a country pub, eg The East Ingham. A breakfast consists of steak, snags, fried eggs, mushies, tomatoes, chops etc.

You must hang out in the wrong places. ;)

datto likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ingham eh...I'll have to pop up there one weekend for brekkie. Check out the chickens and racehorses while I'm there.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nah, more like the sugar cane, the Cemetry & the Ford dealer ;)

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Not the chicken place at Casula? That's one heck of a drive then lol.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've been back on the wagon this week after a considerable lapse resulting in a depressing BMI.
    So I'm back on the 20 carbs a day aim + 30 mins cardio (elliptical). Will add in some weight training soon.
    I have brisket in the oven for the next 9hrs for dinner. It's got a rub on it which is 4g of carbs but that is over 1.8kg of meat so per serving will be about 0.5g. Gotta watch out for those marinades etc as many of them are packed in sugar.
    I'll have mine with slaw, the rest of the fam bam will have slaw and mac with theirs.

skater likes this.
  20. PeterYB

PeterYB Active Member

think I'll stick with a low fat high carb diet, just gotta do heaps of exercise